Imran Wants Neutral Umpires Across The Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imran Wants Neutral Umpires Across The Board

Imran Khan has called on the International Cricket Council to introduce neutral umpires at both ends in international matches.
    "I think the time has come to introduce two neutral umpires in international cricket, and it will put most of the controversies in the sport to end," said former the Pakistan captain turned politician.

Imran was speaking after Pakistan's 3-0 Test series defeat in Australia but insisted his opinion was not affected by events Down Under, where in the second Test Aussie umpire Peter Parker turned down a confident caught behind appeal against home batsman Justin Langer which angered touring captain Wasim Akram.

"I am not saying this because of any specific incident, but in my opinion there remains an element of doubt with the home umpires standing in a match," said Imran.

"When we have two neutral umpires in other sports why can't we have this in cricket? The factor of home bias has to be eliminated," added Imran.

The Pakistan Cricket Board's ad hoc committee chief Zafar Altaf is reportedly to raise the issue at the ICC annual meeting, and Imran concluded: "Besides having neutral umpires at both ends I think it's about time we took more assistance from TV replays in crucial decisions like caught behind - there is no harm in it."

Working...
X