Australia end Pakistan bowling controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia end Pakistan bowling controversy

Australian cricket authorities have headed off a potentially damaging row after Western Australia umpiring chief Rick Evans questioned the legality of Pakistani paceman Shoaib Akhtar's bowling action.

Australian Cricket Board (ACB) chief executive Malcolm Speed telephoned Pakistan manager Yawar Saeed ahead of Friday's first test in Brisbane and told him the matter would be taken no further.

Evans sent the ACB a 20-minute video tape of Akhtar bowling in a one-day tour match and asked the board to study the young pace bowler's action.

The ACB was at pains to point out that Evans had provided the tape at his own instigation and "without any complaint from either of the two WA umpires, Ross Emerson and Terry Prue".

"Only the umpires involved in the game in question had the authority to raise any concerns," Speed told reporters on Wednesday.

Last season, Emerson was at the centre of another throwing controversy when he called Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan during a one-day international against England at Adelaide.

The Western Australia-Pakistan game last week was not sanctioned by the International Cricket Council (ICC) and because Emerson and Prue did not query Akhtar's action in their match report, the matter could not be taken any further.

"There are few more serious allegations in cricket than accusing a bowler of throwing," Speed said.

"Given the seriousness of the allegations, the ACB and the ICC have clear and rigorous processes to deal with them.

"We will advise the ICC that a tape has been received by us but that it does not fall clearly within their jurisdiction ... there is no compelling reason to take any action."

Yawar said: "Malcolm Speed told me he had received the tape and he had watched it. He told me the tape had no official status and as far as he and I are concerned, it is all over now and we can look forward to a great test series."

Australian coach John Buchanan saying the report did a "disservice" to Australian cricket.

"It certainly disturbs the individual no matter who it is, I'm sure (Muttiah) Muralitharan would say the same thing," he said.

Buchanan said Akhtar was unlikely to suffer too much. "Having looked at him through the Pakistan game against Queensland I wouldn't have thought too many things throw Shoaib off his game."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My message to Emerson "Go suck a lemon" and to the Indians "Start quacking in your shoes and ****ting in your pants" as Akhter has been cleared. Sachin Tattikar's back will start troubling him in the next few weeks in order that he can avoid facing Akhter.

Australia always have problem w/ other bowlers be it Aktar or Murli they like to get in controversy just to get the other team in pressure. no one in the whole world cup (when there was umpire from all over the world) had any problem w/ his action but smart Australian do?

------------------
    I Love afridi

Comment

Working...
    X