Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasim retained as Pakistan captain for entire cricket season

Wasim retained as Pakistan captain for entire cricket season

Wasim Akram has been retained as captain for the current international cricket season, the chairman of the ad-hoc committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said Wednesday.

The decision has been taken after Wasim led Pakistan in Toronto this month in an "impeccable manner," Mujeebur Rehman told reporters.

The season's commitments include Pakistan's three-Test tour of Australia starting late October and a three-nation one-day tournament in Australia, also involving India, in January next year.

Other events are a Sri Lankan tour of Pakistan in January and the Sharjah tournament in April, followed by Pakistan's tour of the West Indies and return tour of Sri Lanka by the Pakistani team.

Wasim, along with Salim Malik and Ejaz Ahmed, was suspended by the ad-hoc committe in July after an interim report of a PCB inquiry committee on match fixing allegations. But he was reinstated in September.

The players, however, await the findings of a judicial commission which has been conducting an inquiry since late last year into match-fixing allegations in Pakistan cricket.

Wasim was interrogated by investigators of the government's Accountability Bureau after Pakistan lost against Australia in the final of the last World Cup in June. The Bureau absolved him of any blame. "My decision to suspend the trio was right and I have achieved the desired results," Rehman said. "Its a big relief and now I can focus on planning wholeheartedly as we have a challenging Australian tour ahead," Wasim said.

Rehman lauded "exemplary discipline" of the team in Canada and announced that players would get three times more remuneration as well as single room accommodations under new contracts.

He said an official would be specially sent to Australia for image building work.
Working...
X