Hamari team; CAN WE SEE A COMEBACK??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamari team; CAN WE SEE A COMEBACK??

With the recent successes that we have seen, the best test team in Asia and Now in the Pepsi cup, do you think that we can be a power that we were once under the captaincy of Imran Khan.

Beating India in its backyard is NOT a small feat that our team has managed to accomplish. OK we have had our troubles, but I would rather have a winning team under a suspect's captaincy who seems to be doing his best in everything, than to have a losing team under a 'good guys's captaincy.

Guys, come one. Maybe Waseem did take bribes, but the way he is leading the team now, and the venom with which he is bowling today, I don't see he could do any better. HE is one of the best the game has ever produced, he is still young, he is energetic and most imporatantly he gets the best out of people like Afridi and Saqlain and other new comers. If he can continue on like this I would be proud to call him the captain of 'my' cricket team.

What do ya 'll think?

Hamid

Yes Hamid you are right! Waseem is doing a great job....and we have a good chance of winning in England.
    I'm just wondering if one had to compare between Imran Khan at his peak and Wasim Akram right now..who do u think has more character/game on & off the field.
    I sometimes feel Wasim is a better bowler than Imran but Imran had more stable cricketing mind. My vote goes for Khan sahib for being a better captain. what do u guys think.

BoSS

Comment

Boss,

Imran Khan was a much better captain, NO DOUBT. He is a much better person as well. But remember that Waseem is still young, he has a lot to learn. Us nay abhi bohat dunya dekhni hai!

What do you think about the past of Waseem? Do you think that we should forget about the betting allegations? I mean wouldn't it be nice that we have Amir sohail in the team as well as Waseem? What do you think about the behaviour of Amir? He is refusing to take off his allegations.

Hamid

Comment

Imran was and will be the best both on and off the field. Imran was a better allrounder than Wasim.
        As for Amir - he should never be allowed back into the team.
        Wasim and the others should be punished - but it doesn't have to be done publicily - if they have to be removed from the game then they should be moved out quitely. Wasim is too important a player to lose though - they should make an exception for him but the others deserve to be kicked out.

Comment

Azhar,

Ok. But then why do you think that Amir should not be brought into the team? Should he be punished for speaking the truth? I have always admired Amir for his courage. But when I have to choose between him and Waseem I think I am going to go for Waseem. Still i think that efforts can be made that both of them can play together. Both of them could be told to shut their mouths and start playing for the country or risk getting kicked out forever.

We need a good opener. Do you think Afridi can do well on seaming wickets? He can't even play Wickramasinghe when he starts to seam the ball, I cannot see him doing well at a place where ANYONE (and I do mean ANYONE, i am sure you know since you are in England) can seam the ball.

What do you think. And yes there is NO doubt at all that Imran Khan is a great Man. Personally I would have him as the PM but unfortunately most of my fellow countrymen don't agree with me!

Cheers Mates!

Hamid

Comment

i think Imran was great Captain but AKarm is a better bowler and as a captain he is Improving everyday i dont think they should take amir back in the team or Latef. i think we need Akarm more in our team then amir or latef and one cannot forget what amir did in 2nd test aginst Zem when he just took off we can not trust that person as a captain

------------------

Dil Dil pakistan

[This message has been edited by pathonboy (edited March 21, 1999).]

Comment

Hamid,

The reason that Amir should not be in the team is that he can't be trusted to play to his potential - his aim is to try to undermine Wasim's authority - he wants to do exactly what Wasim and a few of the others did while he was captain - which was to play below their best. I have it at very high authority that several of the players did not want Amir in the team let alone be a captain when he was actually in charge. Also he does not deserve to be in the team when he leave the team before a test match - the reason s given behind that was that he was injured but the truth was that he had disagreements with the selectors over the selection of a few players. He was a good player some years ago but again when the team was being selected for the India tour he did not even turn up for the trials - how do you expect to be picked if you don't turn up!!!

I have also heard that he has sold his story about the bribery to one of the tabliod papers here in England (The Mirror) - which no doubt will be published around the time of the World Cup to try and put the Pakistan team off its tracks. If he were a patriot then he wouldn't do this - the only reason he is doing it is because he wasn't selected for the team.
              We do need to pick a good opening pair as even Saeed is not too good against swing bowling. The only advantage the openers have now to when they have toured here before is that the rules for ODIs have changed in that the fielding in the first 15 overs is restricted so when someone like Shihid Afridi does open he can take the chances and hopefully get away with it. On the subject of playing against swing bowling I can't see anyone in the Pakistan team who can play seam bowling - Ijaz doesn't use his feet early on. Inzamman - potential the best will edge the ball to slips early on. The only one that I can see making runs is Moin who is the only fighter in the team.

Comment

Azhar,

Yeah I think you are right. Maybe Amir isn't a patriot after all and if what you say is correct then he ain't for sure. I just hope that there are some people in PCB who have something up there, something other than thoughts about groppling for money. Some people have to be punished in our cricket structure; or else we would always suffer from those scorpions who are always looking for ways to sting the team when they least expect.

I disagree with you on one thing though and that is that we have some other gritty players apart from Moin, namely Saqlain and .. well okay, only Saqlain! I am sure that he has what it takes to be a real professional player and I can safely predict that he is going to be the next captain after Waseem. I would have said that Waseem is a gutsy player as well but I don't know; all the hoo haa about those bribery scandals, I am not sure about him. Nevertheless, he still remains my favourite fast bowler. he needs to do a lot both off and on the field to prove to me that all these allegations are just allegations. I beleive in innocent until proven otherwise, but this is a matter of national pride and we have to be a little more cautious.

About the openers; well I am sorry to say taht we are still pathetic in that part of our cricket. We all know that people like Wasti would topple like pins when put to the seaming pitches of England. I hope people like Imran Nazir do something. I have to say taht I have been impressed with his technique. And I also hope that Ijaz scores at times when he is NOT threatened with his exclusion from the team. I mean what the heck!!!! WHY DOES HE ONLY SCORE WHEN HE IS GIVEN AN ULTIMATUM FROM THE BOARD???? I THINK HE IS A WORTHLESS PLAYER. But I am hopeful about Inzi, I think (I have a hunch) that he will do soemthing in the world cup.

Any votes for Muhammad Waseem, count mine!

Whatever happens, I wish our team the best of luck, inshallah with people like Javed Miandad (and maybe a foreign coach) and Waseem and Saqlain and Moin and maybe Waqar we can do a lot if we set our minds to whatever we want to achieve.

Cheers!

Hamid

Comment

Hamid,

Yes, you are right Saqlain is the other gritty player. However I disagree with you about the next captain - it will be Moin - Saqlain has to really prove himself as a leader - Moin already has shown that he can lead (but that has never stopped the PCB from picking someone out of nowhere).

As far as talking about Innocent until proven guilty - that sort of thing never holds in Pakistan - thee its more the case of if he is successful then he is innocent otherwise he is guilty. Anyway I have heard and seen some of the evidence and it is damning against Wasim, Musthaq, Salim Ijaz and a few others - so there is no doubt that they are all guilty. I also read the other day that PCB has postponed the outcome of the hearing until after the World Cup - if we win they are innocent and if they disgrace themselves then they are guilty.

Ijaz has always been a terrible starter - his feet are usually no where early on. I would still stick with him as he is a good player (especially a good point fielder) and when he gets going a good bat. If you note in the last world cup we lost the game against India because he was trying to push the ball around and get singles but Inzi was not ready for the singles and as a result Ijaz got frustrated and tried to hit out as Paksitan were getting way behind the run rate against India.

For the time being they should stick with Afridi as the opener, they have recalled Wasti in the team for the Sharjah tournament as he has been scoring runs. the only thing I am sure Inzi and Saeed will do is bat a bit and then have way through the match go off injured. I don't think these two players have completed a full match in the last two years. All of the Pakistani batsmen will struggle against the swing bowling - at least the bowling is reliably.

Miandad is doing a good job - I heard yesterday that Pakistan have appointed a new coach/psyhio from South Africa - I don't know if this is true though?

Comment

Talking about Miandad,whatever happened to Basit Ali??!!

Comment

Trooper,

Basit has not really hit form since he 'retired', it would be nice to see him there in the team. LAst year he was in the team for the Commonwealth Games - he didn't do much in that.

Sad though he was very talented.

Comment

Trooper,

Basit has not really hit form since he 'retired', it would be nice to see him there in the team. LAst year he was in the team for the Commonwealth Games - he didn't do much in that.

Sad though he was very talented.

Comment

Yes thats true mashallah our team is playing good but i'm little concerned about our middle order. I mean first game we had such a great start but middle order collapsed and then against Sri(2nd game) we again lost our way. But thanks to Allah that he gave courage to our Captain and he atleast fought like 'Simba'. N-E-Wayz my opinion about the team is that they should not let Afridi open with some inexpereinced player. He thinks he is cool and just throws away his wicket. But when he plays with a experienced player he always does well. And Imran Nazir i agree he is good fielder but batting .. NO WAY!! He sucks specially when he plays away from his body. He makes me feel like Miandad. I think batting wise Hasan Raza and Mo Wasim are much much better than this lad. I'm not saying he is going to stay the same but instead he should be sent to domestic cricket to fix his weakness and then come back. And Arshad Khan oh God!! He sucks big time. I would be really upset if he makes it to the world cup. He was really bad in the last game against Sri. And i don't think it is a good idea to play 2 off-spinners. I know Mushi is injured but he deserve to be in the team rather Arshad Khan. And whats the deal with Inzi and Ijaz? Ok I understand Inzi just got married, responsbility pressure. And Ijaz whenever there is a danger of him cutting out of the team he scores and then never scores when we need him to score. I think once a bowler starts swinging Ijaz becomes shaky. And he is not comfortable infront of Kumble. Come on Kumble is not that Great. Ok he took all 10 wickets but that was his own home ground with his own umpire lifting the finger. To be honest i hate India. Not because of personal reasons but because they just play in India all the time they hardly play outside and when they play they even lose to Zimbabwe. Thats not sport thats cheating and thats the reason their ratings are hight in both test and onedays.

Comment

wasim is the best option we have right now. imran was a great captain but it is hard to compare his personality with anyone in our team right now. inshallah "hum hain pakistani
                            hum to jetain gay haa getain gay" in triangular series and in the grand finale of htem all, The World Cup 99 under wasim's captaincy.
                            Cricket meri deewangi!

Comment

It's nice to see such a spirited response from my fellow pakistanis. I have to say that sitting in a cinema in the bay area and watching India/Pakistan match with the hall literally FULL of Indians, there is nothing more satisfying than watching Indians get whipped!

I hope we continue our winning streak, specially against the Indians and hopefully are able to maintain it through the world cup.

No doubt, Waseem is the man!

Hamid

Comment

Working...
                              X