Did Tendu deserve man of the match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Tendu deserve man of the match?

Certainly, his effort in fourth innings on crumbling wicket (and falling wickets) is incredible.

But what about the shot on which he got out. He lofts the ball with just 17 needed to win. Absolutely irresponsible. I do not think Miandad or Gavaskar would have got out on such shot at such stage. Tendu lacks attitude.

I think Saqlain should have got it for not losing the heart and bowling with fire.

Tendulkar definitely deserved the Man of the Match award. It's easy for us sitting in the cosy comfort of our house to talk about what should have happened, but it's a different ball game out there. An innings like Tendulkars is what seperates the men from the boys. To say that he lacks attitude is ridiculous ---- I am sure Shane Warne would agree with me !!!

Comment

BombayKid, forget about Shane...he's busy tryin' saving his face somehere in the australian dunes...lets talk fact:
      If scoring a century is the standard for getting MoM award, then why not Afridi???
      No doubt, Tandulkar gave a good knock but what about a guy claiming 10 wickets in 2 innings?? whether u agree or not, but Tandulkar did throw his wicket up in the air at a time, when the game was in Indian pocket. No punt intended, but I don't think that was a right decision for awarding MoM award to him...

[This message has been edited by KK (edited February 01, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by KK (edited February 01, 1999).]

Comment

Well I guess I may be prejudiced since Tendulkar is from my home town, but for me the Man of the Match goes to the guy who ultimately makes the difference between victory and defeat. Like Akram said after the match, the wicket of Tendulkar was the key. So on a pitch which was beginning to crumble and support bowlers, I would definitely give the MOM to a batsman, specially one who was the easily the difference between victory and defeat.
        Although I must say that Saqlain's effort was awesome and he definitely deserved praise for not giving up.
        But MOM was definitely the right choice. But then thats an Indian view

Comment

Definitely Saqlain, for the amount of overs he had to bowl and the wickets that he took. Without him India would have won - yes Tendulkar did score a brilliant hundred BUT at the end of the day he also threw the game away.

Comment

One more candidate was of course, this New Zealand umpire Dunne. What a moron! Will he be in the second test. That will add more to the unpredictability of cricket. But he has been equally incompetent for both sides (Inzi-Ganguly, Anwar-Kumble etc.). So that is fair(?). Hope he is replaced.

Comment

Alright ...yep this is a debatable bias that india just erupted by giving tendu MoM.
              u know sitting in our couches we have alot to say but guys u know officiating in a cricket test is much bigger than a super bowl!!the umpire dunne is a very good judge ,lest he makes mistakes doesnt make him not worth for another chance...okay this opinion is just from a person who hasnt seen a ball so i might be wrong
              and someone said tendulkar "deserved"...well yes he did if india won ...but since pak won and the winner for us was our wizard saqlain ...i think tendu is not fair decision ...
              well who cares as long as the team is cracking up some great efforts...
              i wonder when my fav saeed is gonna see teh ball...i tell u guys the moment he does so ,you would have seen a lot of tendulkars by then...and this is a paki opinion

MR

Comment

Man....I am clearly outnumbered here...anyway like you said winning matters more than anything else, so I suppose it's secondary who gets the MoM award. But it's kinda funny that people expect him to finish the job in every match which is expecting a bit too much. To his credit he has been performing well against all opposition. Indians can only hope that the second test too doesn't become a "Tendulkar v/s Pakistan" affair and others contribute as well !!!

Comment

Well.. MahaRaja, there is no Indian bias in MoM selection sice it was given by match referee Smith.

But this is a generic observation. Because of the hype that media worldwide has built around SRT, if a player B does as well as SRT or even a shade better, SRT is still likely to get award.

I disagree on Dunne. If he needs more experience, he better go and do umpiring in club matches in Welington, why he is in tests?

[This message has been edited by PG (edited February 02, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                  X