Which other team could have chased 438?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which other team could have chased 438?

Which other team could have chased 438 against Australia?

I don't think there are many teams who could have reached this target. For a start I don't think Pakistan could have done it and I also feel that they would not even get close to this type of score. They don't have a single batsman who could have played the kind of innings played by Gibbs especially against Australia. Please do not mention Inzman - as he has a poor average against Australia and do not think he could have played the way Gibbs played that day. To play this kind of innings you need solid players and support around you and Pakistan has a very brittle line up - which can crumcle very easily.

Also, Pakisan does not have a settled opening partnership. Graham Smith may not be a very exciting player to watch but his captaincy and leading from the front gives them a solid start.

India - are very good at chasing an and on their day possibly could have done it. However, I still think even India wouldn't have made it but they could have come close.

Enfland - not many experienced one day players in the team and don't think they would have had any chance.

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.
    Jokers + Cheaters + Fixers

Re: Which other team could have chased 438?

The only other possibility could be Bangladesh... who can forget their win over the world champions last year. ehem

Comment

I don't think Aus could have done it either. As for SA, give them this target 10 times again and they will fail to achieve every time. Flukes don't happen everyday.

Comment

SA did it coz it was their day! (there is v little chance that they can do it again)
        With Symond, Hussay, Afridi, Razzaq, Sehwag and Dhoni - PAK, IND and AUS can do it on their days ....
        Goyan keshk aqbat taskeen ast...Awal shor ast aqbat namkeen ast
        Har chanz aasiyat sang zeerey...Ee surat-e-beqrar barbin ast

Comment

I totally agree ...
          Originally posted by Decent 6Chora
          SA did it coz it was their day! (there is v little chance that they can do it again)
          With Symond, Hussay, Afridi, Razzaq, Sehwag and Dhoni - PAK, IND and AUS can do it on their days ....

Comment

Why all the 11 year old-type questions have to come from Express sahab. Check the KK in last one month and you will find all the kido question coming from same keyboard.
            charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
            zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

In any case, an interesting question posed.

Yes, I do agree with your mentioned, Rock_Express, that Pakistan seems next to impossible chasing that gigantic of a target, let alone pass something of a figure of 400. With the current form of Sehwag and Dravid (Tendulkar and Dhoni included), if the horoscopes do point that it is India's best day over any amount of days they have played cricket in their professional careers, it's still very unlikely they would have surpassed it (again, in agreeance with your thought that India might have come close).

Those are the only two teams, from my point of view, even worth comparing. England just seems to be a bit downgraded at the moment, so if a competition and a question arises as to pick and choose one team from a total of three (3) teams (SA/Ind/Pak), I would bet my life insurance policy on SA once again. Not that I don't have the confidence in my team that they would be able to chase it in a grand fashion (the word unpredictability comes to mind here), but considering that it is a long shot, South Africa, out of any two teams mentioned, are possibly the only ones who can achieve that target once again, if they happen to step into that ray of light, into the twilight zone. India and Pakistan could certainly come close, but the shadow of a doubt remains.
              Originally posted by Rock_Express
              Graham Smith may not be a very exciting player to watch but his captaincy and leading from the front gives them a solid start.
              Just wanted to point that out. Good thread!

Comment

I don't think there are many teams who could have reached this target. For a start I don't think Pakistan could have done it and I also feel that they would not even get close to this type of score. They don't have a single batsman who could have played the kind of innings played by Gibbs especially against Australia. Please do not mention Inzman - as he has a poor average against Australia and do not think he could have played the way Gibbs played that day. To play this kind of innings you need solid players and support around you and Pakistan has a very brittle line up - which can crumcle very easily.

Also, Pakisan does not have a settled opening partnership. Graham Smith may not be a very exciting player to watch but his captaincy and leading from the front gives them a solid start.

India - are very good at chasing an and on their day possibly could have done it. However, I still think even India wouldn't have made it but they could have come close.

Enfland - not many experienced one day players in the team and don't think they would have had any chance.

I know one team would have easily chased it, PIB coloney team (Karachi) with 10 overs to spare
                hmhmmm....
                Life is straight as a jalebi, sweet yet...Twisted!

Comment

Australia can chase it against another team.

Comment

I agree Pakistan would have not done it even on their day. If you guys sremember when Saeed made 194, during that match Pak had big guns who could have done the hard hitting to take Pak to atleast 400 (even aka Afridi played that match along with him Jagi (Ijaz) played that match too). But still Pak managed to score only 327. I think the way Saeed played Pak should have atleast made the record of 400 but they only manage to get it to 327 and that too thanks to Saeed bhai.
                    I grow in learning as I grow in age.

Comment

not even Sa and Aussies will do it again ....
                      He was a self made man who owed his lack of success to nobody.
                      - Author on Cargill in 'Catch 22'

Comment

if its their day i htink any team can do it....

someone remember canada's opener hitting a 100 off 60 something balls????
                        who wud have ever guessed that coming????
                        but it happened....

u just cant rule out anything....

pak managed 345 chasing 350 so u cant say they wud never have done it....
                        anything can happen....
                        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Good post Rock_Express,
                          I would agree with Ehsan bhai that these "flukes" don't happen everyday and it was just a coincident that Aus made the record and SA shattered the record.
                          Who do I think might come close to chase 400+ runs ever? I think the best bet would be on Aus. I haven't seen a stronger psychological mind than the Aussies. Pak and India can come close but the brittle batting lineup of Pak always make a doubt in the mind. But anyhow, on a given day, any record could be made and this 400+ run chase would for sure stay a record for long long time.
                          Umer

Comment

Working...
                          X