Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People for Ethical Treatment of Bowlers (PETB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People for Ethical Treatment of Bowlers (PETB)

Hello,
    I am starting a new organization called People for Ethical Treatment of Bowlers. We all thought the Sri Lankans had introduced a new way of playing in 1996 when they brought their suicide attack approach to batting. Instead, they have killed off the fast bowler, that rare, temperamental breed that has such a short shelf life as it is.

The ICC, for the sake of not letting their game become a mockery, must re-establish the balance. The following steps need to be taken:

1. No more fielding restrictions.
    2. 3 bouncers per over.
    3. Remove the limit of 10 overs per bowler per inning.
    4. Mandatory steroid testing of all batsmen.

Re: People for Ethical Treatment of Bowlers (PETB)

good idea
    :.:.:Pakistan Zindabad:.:.:

Comment

Late 70s, 80s and almost 90s was era of bowlers (fast), now its batsmen's era. I don't care much about ODIs, but in Tests they need to keep a balance between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by TUMS
        Hello,
        I am starting a new organization called People for Ethical Treatment of Bowlers. We all thought the Sri Lankans had introduced a new way of playing in 1996 when they brought their suicide attack approach to batting. Instead, they have killed off the fast bowler, that rare, temperamental breed that has such a short shelf life as it is.

The ICC, for the sake of not letting their game become a mockery, must re-establish the balance. The following steps need to be taken:

2. 3 bouncers per over.
        Howdy,

Very interesting, in a good way, of course. But the above guidelines, I am afraid, will swing the balance too much in bowler's favor. There needs to be a shifting of equilibrium on both sides of the fence, rather than tilting over one side and making it significantly overweight. With that in mind, I'd recommend the following changes:

1) Allow fielding restrictions for at least ten (10) overs, if not keep it the same at fifteen (The single utmost reason why at least one pinch-hitter is selected in every team, and for the reason quality openers who can place the ball past the rope like it was shot out of a cannon, all for the above reason alone).

2) Three bouncers an over is an overkill, in my opinion. Two an over is just perfect. After all, how many bowlers have we seen in the present scene have the capability (or an ability, rather) to bowl bouncers in the death overs? The list will be very far and the names will come up very few, since most of them try to go for full-length deliveries and yorker-lengths. Two bouncers an over is, and should be, the limit (from my point of view).

3) Removing the limit of ten overs per bowler per innings will effectively result in increased stress in bowlers, resulting in frequent injuries alongwith match pressure. If this is implemented, the captain will try and make sure that the best bowlers in the side bowl a large number of overs that what they used to before, hence, pain and stress will found its way to be a common symptom in almost all bowlers who are put in such situations.

4) Agreed!

------------------------------------------------

Additions:

5) Remove the Power-Play rule completely. Scrap it out of the textbook.

Please feel free correct my thinking and/or thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by TUMS
          Hello,

2. 3 bouncers per over.
          Don't agree with number 3. There should some advantage for the batsman as well.
          I grow in learning as I grow in age.

Comment

To give the batsmen a taste of the ridiculous restrictions the bowlers face, I propose the following :
            (1) One tappa OUT
            (2) One batsman can face no more than 60 legitimate deliveries.
            (3) 1 run should be subtracted everytime the batsman gets beaten outside off (to legitimate deliveries).

btw, I am not in favour of removing the 10 overs maximum limit for bowlers. That would actually work to their disadvantage. If that happens, teams could start playing only 3 good bowlers (rest all bastmen) since 3 bowlers would be considered sufficient to bowl 50 overs.

Comment

Haha.. the title is so funny. Unsurprisngly, I have heard similar things since that fateful Aus-SA game. I am against over-reacting on a single match. May be the ground was too short, or the air was light, or whatever. I can't believe that in the 5th ODI, suddenly all bowlers became crap, or the game rules were changed just for that one game.

I do agree that the balance has tilted too much in favor of batsmen, and that is a deliberate move on the part of ICC, as they think that high scoring games (lots of sixes and fours) make the sport interesting and people watch it on their televisions. I don't agree with this, and frankly giving so much power to batsmen makes a mockery of the game of cricket. Steroid testing for all players (batsmen and bowlers) should be mandatory, in any case.
              "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Some1
                To give the batsmen a taste of the ridiculous restrictions the bowlers face, I propose the following :
                (1) One tappa OUT
                (2) One batsman can face no more than 60 legitimate deliveries.
                (3) 1 run should be subtracted everytime the batsman gets beaten outside off (to legitimate deliveries).

btw, I am not in favour of removing the 10 overs maximum limit for bowlers. That would actually work to their disadvantage. If that happens, teams could start playing only 3 good bowlers (rest all bastmen) since 3 bowlers would be considered sufficient to bowl 50 overs.
                hmm that reminds me of the rules we had while playing indoor in Germany ...... but what about handing-out every team a 70 bouncers quota and let them use when they think is most apropriate with one restriction namely only a max. 4 Bouncers per over ..... further the fielding/catching at the rope should be like in Baseball ...... Introduce Double play like in baseball ..... e. g. one batsman is LBW and the non strier backs up too far so he can be run-out

But oh well all this whisful thinking

Comment

TUMS : a nice thought. The PETB should be recognized soon in place of "PETA" LOlz....
                  I would agree with you that ODI Cricket is becoming batsmen "heaven" but the suggestions you suggested, to me seem a little over the boundary.
                  I wouldn't favor to completely scratch off the fielding restrictions. That would mean that players like Afridi, Sehwag, GilChrist, Dhoni, Symonds and many more need to be taken off the teams. I don't think that's going to happen in Cricket and it shouldn't be. Pretty much every team has one "pinch hitter" as Dhobi Bhai said and their inclusion in the team makes the team more competitive and stronger.

Your suggestion #2 means that half of the balls can be legally bouncers. I don't think that would work well just because it's too much in favor of bowlers. Imagine Tendulkar or Yuvraj ducking 3 balls in a over from Shoaib Akhtar and the scoreboard is stuck. This would make scoring really slow and people in most parts of the world wanna see batsmen stroking rather than choking... I'd suggest having 2 bouncers is a better ploy since it doesn't shift the game in either batting or bowling but keeps a balance.
                  On your suggestion # 3, I would agree with Dhobi bhai 100%. Making a bowler ball more than 10 overs would definitely bring more injuries to a particular bowler. Not only that, the opposing teams would know in the mindset that the main bowler is going to bowl more than 10 overs so we should target/study his bowling well. It would make things very much predictable for the batting team and it would also rub salt into the wound of the bowling team because you might see captains playing only 4 bowlers thinking that one would be bowling more than 10. But if something goes wrong with the main bowler, than it's all crap for the team so you don't want that in ODI Cricket..
                  On your suggestion #4, I am not sure if batsmen in Cricket really utilize steroid since it's never heard off. It won't be a bad idea to ask Dhoni or Afridi.. Lolz...
                  Umer

Comment

Damn....3 or 4 bouncers/over?????
                    If that happens, than people will start calling for establshing another organization, OPBAL. Organization for the Prevention of Batsmen from Akthar and Lee
                    Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

Originally posted by fkhan2
                      Damn....3 or 4 bouncers/over?????
                      If that happens, than people will start calling for establshing another organization, OPBAL. Organization for the Prevention of Batsmen from Akthar and Lee
                      actually i meant sort of Powerplay for bowlers

Comment

I think this is where a good bowler comes into picture... I agree its a batsman friendly game but hang on... how many of us would want to see 200-runs matches honestly... I think even under given format of ODI cricket, if a bowler consistently bowls good line and length and bowls straight , he still would end up with decent figures, Pick mcgrath for instance or pollock, they hardly get smacked because they control the ball well and swing it both ways and ofcourse it shows on the ICC ratings too...
                        Rock On

Comment

Working...
                        X