• Show
Clear All

3rd Test , India vs England @ Mumbai

My ideal recommendations :

Harbhajan OUT <-> Ramesh Powar IN
    Chawla OUT <-> Kaif IN
    Tendulkar OUT <-> Raina IN
    Sehwag OUT <-> Anybody else with a brain and footwork IN

But alas, the above is never going to happen !!

btw, Chawla is a decent bowler. The only reason I want him out is because we already have another (so-called)"leg-spinner" - Kumble.
    Last edited by Some1; Mar 13, 2006, 01:38 PM.

Re: 3rd Test , India vs England @ Mumbai

I almost agree with you on the changes you suggested.

On Harbhajan note, which is what we discussed last night, he is fastly becoming a liability to the Indian team. I would rather go for Raina in his position.

Chawla should, at least at this point in time, remain out of the team. Let the likes of Patel and Pathan become a permanent attacking pair in light of World Cup, and develop and nourish SreeSanth and RP Singh as backup bowlers as well. These two have the ability to swing the ball quite vividly (at least SreeSanth included), and I am sure all four of them carry the potential to fill in the major gaps that the likes of Agarkar and Ganguly left behind (and Harbhajan in the near future will, too).

Comment

Originally posted by Some1
      In Sehwag's case, I personally don't feel that Dhoni alone would be able to fill in his gap (provided if Sehwag is excluded from the team), as Dhoni might need to come in the opening slot, because the ultimate purpose of the likes of Sehwag and Dhoni is to see the ball clear the fielder's head by miles during the first instances of PowerPlays, and I am not exactly in a mindset to bet on the risk which would see Dravid and Jaffer struggle to keep up the momentum that Sehwag carries in his back-pocket (or Dhoni for that matter).

In essence, in addition to at least one power-hitter in the team (Dhoni) for the final stages of the match, there is still a strong necessity of having a batsman at the top of the order who can peck for runs when needed.

Although I do agree with what you mentioned yesterday about Sehwag as "Either a hit or a miss" (if memory serves me correctly).

Comment

I do not care about Sehwag's batting average...he is just not the man for the Test Opener's job....He will score a century one day, a duck next day.

Even yesterday, he looked liked getting out every few balls....he simply cannot resist flashing to short rising deliveries outside off. But people will only go by his end score (70+) and believe he performed great.

The man is just too unreliable...and I am sure bowlers fancy getting an early wicket when he opens. Also when he falls early(which is quite often) - bowlers are bowling with their tails up to Dravid etc who immediately withdraw into a shell and bring upon additional pressure.

I would rather have an opener who can consistently score in the 30-100 range than have Sehwag open and pray to God he performs.

Comment

Well, yes, true. And I overlooked the score that he resulted in last night, since it was one of those moments, where, as you mentioned, he was very unreliable, plus from his body language, it definitely seemed that his selection in the next test (or ODI series) would vastly depend on his performance in the second innings, hence, the usual thought process sunk in and such is the way he played, although horribly, yesterday.

Speaking of which, Some1 Bhai, do you have any particulars in mind as to who is (or will be) the most likeable candidate to overtake Sehwag's job (in terms of hitting the balls out of the park - usual Sehwag's trait, provided he gets going)?

Comment

Its funny how Kiran More says things to suit his immediate purpose.
            As we saw earlier , he can even discover Ganguly's "all-rounder" abilities if it helps him justify his clearly 'politically motivated' selection.

Yesterday, he said that the selection committee preferred Munaf Patel over RP Singh because the selection committee likes to go by current form.

May I ask his highness - if the selection committee really uses that yard-stick , what stops them from selecting Kaif/Raina in place of Tendulkar.

I, for one, advocate a ruthless selection policy based solely on the current form of players with no regards to the reputation, previous records or the regional affiliation of players. But that's like asking for utopia.

Comment

you are recommendations are not good at all and after Shewag's 76 runs not out ... ahem according to ArunLOL "that inning was out of the world"

as for the changes I would like to see one change Chawla out and Sreesanth (if recovered from virus) or RP Singh in and the 2 spinners "Jumbo and Bha-jee"
              hmhmmm....
              Life is straight as a jalebi, sweet yet...Twisted!

Comment

Originally posted by dhobi_bhai
                Speaking of which, Some1 Bhai, do you have any particulars in mind as to who is (or will be) the most likeable candidate to overtake Sehwag's job (in terms of hitting the balls out of the park - usual Sehwag's trait, provided he gets going)?
                Well, a case can be made to retain Sehwag as a One-Day opener (though curiously he has been more successful in Tests than ODIs).
                For Test Matches, I am sure there is plenty of talent to replace Sehwag. I have not been following India's domestic circuit closely - but from what I know of it I am sure there should not be a problem in finding a more orthodox Test Opener to try out. For example, SS Das is one guy who performed decently in the limited chances he got but has since been ignored.

Comment

My ideal recommendations :

Harbhajan OUT <-> Ramesh Powar IN
                  Chawla OUT <-> Kaif IN
                  Tendulkar OUT <-> Raina IN

But alas, the above is never going to happen !!

btw, Chawla is a decent bowler. The only reason I want him out is because we already have another (so-called)"leg-spinner" - Kumble.
                  I will definitly like to see Harbhajan OUT <-> Ramesh Powar IN.. But Alas Romesh is not in team...

I think indian think tank might again go with 5 bowlers. Chawla making way for Sreesanth. But I wouldnot mind Kaif in his place either.
                  Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.
                  Its good to be world champions again.
                  And we though Aussies were invincible.

Comment

I, for one, advocate a ruthless selection policy based solely on the current form of players with no regards to the reputation, previous records or the regional affiliation of players. But that's like asking for utopia.
                    I am sure, and no doubt in my mind either, for someone who is a genuine cricket lover and a hardcore fan of the game for many years now, such a strategy would hold more endurance and value rather than the current political tension and discrimination which sadly has been the state of the team for quite some time now. If Pakistan had been in the same position as above, my thoughts would have reflected in precisely the same light as yours.
                    Well, a case can be made to retain Sehwag as a One-Day opener (though curiously he has been more successful in Tests than ODIs).
                    For Test Matches, I am sure there is plenty of talent to replace Sehwag. I have not been following India's domestic circuit closely - but from what I know of it I am sure there should not be a problem in finding a more orthodox Test Opener to try out. For example, SS Das is one guy who performed decently in the limited chances he got but has since been ignored.
                    Das's name strike a gentle familiarity in my mind.

In any case, I don't think Jaffer and Dravid are really the kind of openers that India would want to bring out, especially during the PowerPlays. Although your point is valid that at least a different opening batsman would rather suffice in test conditions, Sehwag becomes a necessity in ODI's, in terms of his hitting capabilities and generating an increased amount of run-rate (although, once again, a complete 'hit-and-miss' character).

As far as Tests, well, alternative implementations would come to mind (such as Dravid in the opening slot, Pathan coming one-down e.t.c.).

Comment

Sehwag wins matches for india, i dont think he will or should be dropped, yes he looked sketchy but he was getting a feel for it and gaining confidence as he spent time in the middle, im sure he knows he has to perform and will get it right, hopefully sooner than later

Most likely chawla will be dropped for sreesanth (if fit) or kaif, raina etc

Comment

i say why not drop piyush chawla and bring in VRV singh. I would really hate to see this guy overlooked. he is much faster than munaf and bowls pretty accurately. i think pathan, munaf, VRV would be a great pace trio (atleast for final test). I mean we already have kumble and harbajhan, we dont need chawla (not to take anything away from him) just yet. He needs a little more time.

Comment

The pitch should be a dust bowl and u guys want 3 pacers going into it..

Comment

SS Das is one of the worst openers I have seen...He scores great runs in the domestic cricuit but pisses in his pants when playing in the international circuit...phattu hai saala...

He has a strike rate of 35 in test cricket...bores u to DEATH!!!

I think Sehwag is a much better option for an opener in test cricket...he has been more successful thn most other openers in Indian cricket....He has an impressive avg of 54 in test cricket which is better thn most opening batsmen...
                            When life hands you a lemon make nimbu paani!!

Comment

I think it is time for Harbhajan to be dropped...he hasnt done anything of significance since quite a time now....I guess he shud be the man going out if Sreesanth is coming back in...
                              THen again...if its gonna be a dustbowl....Bhajji cud prove to be our best bowler..
                              When life hands you a lemon make nimbu paani!!

Comment

Working...
                              X