Bowl Out - Cricket's penalty shoot-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowl Out - Cricket's penalty shoot-out

A recent Twnety20 game was decided through the rare, but very interesting "Bowl Out" rule. Not sure if this is posted before (if it is, please merge with the existing thread). In any case, here is the video clip, hosted by none other than Wasim Akram.

http://media.putfile.com/twenty20-tie-bowlout-khan-mTV
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Re: Bowl Out - Cricket's penalty shoot-out

Interesting clip!! I wonder what would've happened if Mohammad Sami were one of the bowlers.

Comment

awesome video....i can imagine the joy of the team winning off of this rule...
      When life hands you a lemon make nimbu paani!!

Comment

Originally posted by brahmachari99
        Interesting clip!! I wonder what would've happened if Mohammad Sami were one of the bowlers.

You just had to bring bhatija Sami up, didn't you?

--------------------

Interesting clip, indeed. Even more interesting was the fact that Wasim Akram publicly admitted that he failed to hit the stumps on both ocassions. The honesty and sincerity of this man.

I vividly remember one of George Burns' famous sayings:

"Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair."

Last edited by dhobi_bhai; Feb 26, 2006, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Wasim Akram looked like a pansy front of the camera.
          Anyways, I think this bowl out rule is ridiculous, in the even of a tie I think both teams should take turns and whomever scores more runs in a single over wins the game.

Comment

Originally posted by umair_ahmed
            Anyways, I think this bowl out rule is ridiculous, in the even of a tie I think both teams should take turns and whomever scores more runs in a single over wins the game.
            I am taking this would have to be further boiled down as to who would bowl the death over from the opposing team, whether it will be a fast/medium-pacer, or a spinner, and also the fielding restrictions, if any (provided if this rule is implemented).

Comment

Originally posted by dhobi_bhai

You just had to bring bhatija Sami up, didn't you?

--------------------

Interesting clip, indeed. Even more interesting was the fact that Wasim Akram publicly admitted that he failed to hit the stumps on both ocassions. The honesty and sincerity of this man.

I vividly remember one of George Burns' famous sayings:

"Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair."

Well, I don't think the ability to hit the stumps co-relates with the greatness of a bowler. There is more than an element of luck involved perhaps even more than in the soccer penalty shoot-out where even good strikers have been guillty of missing shots in important matches.
              However, a "tie" is a rarity in Cricket (unlike in Soccer) so whether a "bowl-out" should be used to break the dead-lock or not does not deserve as much debate.
              Last edited by Some1; Feb 26, 2006, 08:34 PM.

Comment

hi can someone help me in viewing the video file. Its not opening when i click on the link

Comment

Wow,
                  It was good watching Wasim Akram and wow, what an interesting end to the game. I really like the idea and the winning team was goin crazy.
                  I think NZ and WI game recently ended in the same way and NZ won that.
                  Good turn for Cricket anyways,
                  Umer

Comment

Originally posted by Some1
                    Well, I don't think the ability to hit the stumps co-relates with the greatness of a bowler. There is more than an element of luck involved
                    Not sure about the greatness part, but at the highest level, the bowlers are usually very accurate, in the sense of being able to pitch the ball exactly where they want. During training sessions, coaches routinely place a coin on the pitch and ask the bowlers to pitch the ball exactly on that coin. So its not "luck", rather its practice that enables the bowlers at international level to strike the stumps at will when there is no batsman facing them. Obviously in a real match scenario with a batsman spanking them all over the park, they may not be able to fully control their line and length as well as they are trained to.
                    Last edited by Faisal; Feb 27, 2006, 01:09 AM.
                    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

this was great to see, lol wasim is a cartoon on sportscenter!

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal
                        Not sure about the greatness part, but at the highest level, the bowlers are usually very accurate, in the sense of being able to pitch the ball exactly where they want.

Well...I will just say this.....somebody on this board once quoted Akram as saying that 80% of the time he couldn't be sure what the ball would do after it left his hand. Does it not tell something.

Comment

I wouldn't take Akram's off-the-cuff remarks too literally. If you hear him before this Bowl Out video clip, you'd think he was a fairly mediocre bowler who couldn't hit the stumps anyway. Its kind of self-depreciating humor that great sportsmen of all times use.

Comment

Originally posted by Some1
                            Well...I will just say this.....somebody on this board once quoted Akram as saying that 80% of the time he couldn't be sure what the ball would do after it left his hand. Does it not tell something.
                            Yeah but I bet he had something to do with where the ball landed (ie: accuracy).
                            abhi tou mein jawaan hoon isleeyaa tou captaan hoon......

Comment

Enjoyed it ! Thanks for sharing praa Faisal.
                              *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
                              Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

Working...
                              X