Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BCCI gets $612 million, players $153 million!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BCCI gets $612 million, players $153 million!!!!

Look at this and tell me if I am interpreting this correctly. This guy paid 612 million dollars to BCCI for rights? Are they really making that much out of cricket in India?

This is in the scale of NFL / NBA deals! and in fact much bigger considering exchange rates and purchasing power in India!

KARACHI, FEBRUARY 19: In many ways, the hard hitting by India’s batsmen over the past few weeks has been matched by some almost unbelievable figures from those who run the game. Both sets were at the National Stadium today, and the men in the suits had broad smiles as the boys in blue justified their hefty investments — specifically the $612 million Nimbus paid the BCCI for TV rights.

‘‘I think it’s good for Indian cricket’’, Board president Sharad Pawar said today. ‘‘The players will get 26 per cent from the gross income of the BCCI, not just media rights, and that will be divided equally among all, over and above the gradation policy.’’ The balance, he told The Indian Express, will used to improve infrastructure in all the grounds, facilitate more money to all state associations and improve state and even university cricket. ‘‘The money is not to swell BCCI coffers. It will be spent extensively for developing cricket in the country.’’

The man who put up the numbers, Nimbus’s Harish Thawani, was busy accepting congratulations in the Chairman’s box. Yet he sought to play down his own importance. ‘‘I’m just an ordinary man, the most famous name will still be Rahul Dravid,’’ he said.

Yet he will need to do some Dhoni-like batting to achieve his break-even target of $4 million revenues per matchday. Is that too high an asking rate? ‘‘I’d call it a fair price. When I paid around $550m for the ICC Champions Trophy and World Cup last time, everybody said I would sink. A few days later everyone said I’d got it rather cheap. This time too, people are saying the same thing, just wait and watch,’’ he says.

What he stresses is the quality of India’s opposition over the next four years. ‘‘India are playing good cricket and there are some really fabulous tours coming up — all the big guns will be visiting India. You must remember that all the top five teams in the world are playing well and competition is tough.’’

And domestic cricket, too, will be given its place, he assures.

Re: BCCI gets $612 million, players $153 million!!!!

this interpretation is absolutely impossible

lol....the likes of Murli Karthik making more money than most Fortune 500 CEO's....

Comment

Well, read what Sharad Pawar is saying - the whole of the GROSS revenue (not just the 25% of this 612 million) will be paid over and above the gradation salary. Which means the players get to divide up atleast this 153million + part of concession and ticket sales. That means several million USD for each player!

What the heck!

Or do you think the article is confusing Rupees 612million as $612 million?

Comment

Originally posted by The Curmudgeon
        Well, read what Sharad Pawar is saying - the whole of the GROSS revenue (not just the 25% of this 612 million) will be paid over and above the gradation salary. Which means the players get to divide up atleast this 153million + part of concession and ticket sales. That means several million USD for each player!

What the heck!

Or do you think the article is confusing Rupees 612million as $612 million?
        no, the figure is in dollars as per BBC

he may have been referring to the $4 million figure....even that divided over the team is a huge sum (in rupees) for each player.

Comment

This is in the scale of NFL / NBA deals! and in fact much bigger considering exchange rates and purchasing power in India!
          Your intelligence shining through again. You want to check the figures for NFL? they are in billions not millions. Stop tooting the horn of your team, all they did was win one oneday series.
          Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleem
            Your intelligence shining through again. You want to check the figures for NFL? they are in billions not millions. Stop tooting the horn of your team, all they did was win one oneday series.
            he's talking about deals for the players, and if it were actually true....the deals would be even bigger than the deals of NFL superstars, and on par with big name NBA stars.

either way, there is no way it's true.

Comment

specifically the $612 million Nimbus paid the BCCI for TV rights.
              ^ Did you miss this part in the article? Its about a TV rights. 612 millioni is chump change for NFL TV rights.
              Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleem
                ^ Did you miss this part in the article? Its about a TV rights. 612 millioni is chump change for NFL TV rights.
                he went and calculated the players share, which apparently came out to $153 million. it's obvious he was referring to player salaries when bringing up purchasing power and all that. but he would have to clarify that...i could be wrong.

$153 million divided by 11 players or even 20 players is NFL superstar money per player.

so again, i'll believe it when i see it....but at this point, it is unfathomable to think this would actually happen.

Comment

Guys, please stop fighting over money. Especially when its not even your money.

Sincerely,
                  Captain Lota
                  Kisee akeli shaam ki chup may, geet puraanay gaa kay dekho

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Lota
                    Guys, please stop fighting over money. Especially when its not even your money.

Sincerely,
                    Captain Lota
                    He was a self made man who owed his lack of success to nobody.
                    - Author on Cargill in 'Catch 22'

Comment

The money is spread over how many years, again?
                      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

how does this work though, who is nimbus? I thought ten sports/ARY had the tv rights for this series? And both of them overwhelmingly had pakistani product ads, i cant understand how India is generating most of the TV revenue? Is it through cable subscriptions? But i had thought Doordarshan is showing it for free?
                        Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

ravage unkil, you need to catch up on your reading. Pak-Ind series is over. This deal is for future Indian home series.
                          "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal
                            The money is spread over how many years, again?
                            i guess 4 years ...
                            He was a self made man who owed his lack of success to nobody.
                            - Author on Cargill in 'Catch 22'

Comment

oh i didnt notice that. well anyway, about this last series then, can someone tell me how india generated most of the revenue for this series?
                              Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

Working...
                              X