Indian Team selection baffles me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Team selection baffles me

It really does. Though India won but it doesnot hide the fact that they selected a very poor team. Specially use of supersub was mind boggling.

Why would you pick a bowler as supersub and then opt to field if you wont the toss. I am not sure what Zaheer bought to that table when he replaced Agarkar for those 4 overs. I am sure Agarkar would not have done anything worst than that. Why couldnot they have taken Romesh in playing eleven and keep Gambhir(Not a fan of him but there is no other batsman in team, another case of stupid team selection where there was only 1 extra batsman sent) as supersub which can be brought in later in place of sreesanth.

Last edited by fair_&_balance; Feb 13, 2006, 01:08 PM.
    Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.
    Its good to be world champions again.
    And we though Aussies were invincible.

Re: Indian Team selection baffles me

Bhai jaan... ye batein aap nahi samjhein geiN. These are high level strategies that mere mortals like you and me can not understand. Dravid was picking a leaf from Inzi's book (what Inzi did with supersub in 1st ODI). It proved lucky for Inzi then and it proved true for Dravid as well.
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Gambhir is a tricky one.....he is actually very talented, but for some reason he isn't performing. either he is on the verge of exploding because he is extremely due for a quality innings....or he is just not international cricket material. i don't know how many more chances he should be given....by performance and numbers, he should be dropped immediately. but by potential, it might be irresponsible to close the book on him too soon.

but yes, Powar should definitely be included.

Comment

They were clearly one batsman short. Thankfully Dhoni and yuvaraj managed to get us through.. but its really surprioses me why would one substitute agarkar with another bowler when one is going to chase a relatively big score.
        I would have atleast hoped to see Pawar coming in place of Sreesanth.

Comment

Originally posted by nikhil25
          Gambhir is a tricky one.....he is actually very talented, but for some reason he isn't performing. either he is on the verge of exploding because he is extremely due for a quality innings....or he is just not international cricket material. i don't know how many more chances he should be given....by performance and numbers, he should be dropped immediately. but by potential, it might be irresponsible to close the book on him too soon.

but yes, Powar should definitely be included.
          I dont know what makes you think that He is talented. I think he is just one of those mediocre player from Ranji Trophy. I have not seen him play any good inning against any quality team. I say open with Kaif if Sehwag is not fit for next game. Drop him or use him as supersub.

By the way, I dont see funguy on KK these days.... I miss those sachin bashing thread.
          Last edited by fair_&_balance; Feb 13, 2006, 12:03 PM.
          Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

Gautam Gambhir is not the answer for Sehwag's injury. They need to recall Ganguly for last two matches in my opinion but it would be impossible right now. For Pakistan's sake I hope they stick with him.
            The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

Originally posted by Saby
              Gautam Gambhir is not the answer for Sehwag's injury.
              Kahan Raja Bhoj aur Kahan Gangu Teli.
              Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

^ Its all good for Pakistan because it will mean Gautam will go early or will not score quickly so they will send Irfan or Dhoni up the order. A good recipe for two early wickets. Its the later part of the innings we need to cater for.
                The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

Indian selectors made a huge mistake when they decided to retain Gambhir for the ODIs. Either they should have selected a middle-order batsman (e.g. Mongia, Badani, even Ganguly) or another opener (Wasim Jaffer) in Gambhir's place.

Gambhir did hardly anything of note against the mediocre Sri Lankan bowling and on home grounds...how did the selectors expect him do any better in high pressure matches against Pak..I don't know.
                  Last edited by Some1; Feb 13, 2006, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Another thing is...Raina is inexperienced and mostly unknown commodity....so we have two potential weaklings in the batting department, which we simply cannot afford.

I say - it will be a miracle if India manages to win the series with this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Some1
                      Another thing is...Raina is inexperienced and mostly unknown commodity....so we have two potential weaklings in the batting department, which we simply cannot afford.

Unless Sehwag is fit.
                      Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

Originally posted by fair_&_balance
                        Unless Sehwag is fit.
                        Sehwag is flying back to India. He has been ruled out of the series..if you had not heard the news already.

Comment

Sehwag is flying back to India. He has been ruled out of the series..if you had not heard the news already.
                          f**k..

I hope they send Ganguly as his replacement.
                          Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

is jaffer still there

Comment

that is what you say in the middle of every series that involves india....

Comment

Working...
                              X