Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ponting can supersede Tendulkar and Lara: Warne

Ponting can supersede Tendulkar and Lara: Warne

MELBOURNE, Feb 7: Australian captain Ricky Ponting can top Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara and become Test cricket’s greatest batsman, Shane Warne said on Tuesday.

Ponting is the top-ranked batsman in Test and one-day cricket and this week capped another outstanding year with his second Allan Border Medal win, having scored 1,596 Test runs and seven centuries in the past year.

Time, form and ability are on 31-year-old Ponting’s side as he tracks the prodigious scoring deeds of West Indian champion Lara, 36, and Indian maestro Tendulkar, 32, the game’s two great contemporary batsmen.

Among the active players, Lara is Test cricket’s leading run-scorer with 11,204 runs, Tendulkar is fourth on 10,386 and Ponting is 10th with 8,253.

But Warne, a long-time opponent of Lara and Tendulkar and a team-mate of Ponting’s for over a decade, said his skipper had the potential to claim many of the game’s batting records.

“I think you’ve seen this year what he is capable of,” Warne told reporters.

“What is he, 31? So he’ll play who knows how many more years. So he could break all the records in the batting if it’s up to him, if he’s still enjoying it and he’s enjoying captaining the side and enjoying playing and batting like he is, there’s no doubt he could break all the records, for sure.”

Warne said Ponting was tough to dislodge once he was set, and was in the sort of form few players ever reach.

“I don’t think there are too many guys who have been in this sort of form,” Warne said.

“I remember Matty Hayden a few years ago, Tendulkar in the mid-90s, Lara in the mid-90s, the form (Ponting’s) been in has just been phenomenal.

“He’s had a wonderful year. He’s always hard to bowl to, he’s quick on his feet and he’s a wonderful player. He plays the quicks so well that they bring the spinners on and he whacks them.

“You’ve got to get him out early; if you don’t get him out early then he’s going to make you pay.”—AFP

Dawn

Re: Ponting can supersede Tendulkar and Lara: Warne

Yes...Ponting will make more test hundred than Sachin. He may even go on to make most rusn too.He is in good form. Age is in his side and Aussies plays more test matches than other countries.
    Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.
    Its good to be world champions again.
    And we though Aussies were invincible.

Comment

He's good enuf to be number 1. But would need some patience.

Comment

I have thought of this before that the kind of form Ponting is in he might go ont on to break many a records and the most centuries in tests is certainly within his reach considering he scores one every other damn match. But how is age on Ponting's side compared to Sachin ? Lara I can see since Lara is 5 years older then Ponting but Sachin is only a year older then Ponting and who knows Sachin might play for a while yet, Kapil Dev played well past his prime just to claim the world record for most wickets so who is to stop Sachin from doing the same and keep playing to keep his record safe. It has been speculated that he plays for the records more then the country so he might just go on for a while. Plus Dravbid is also one guy people need to watch out for, he is the same age as Ponting and he can play for a while as well and he is a quiet performer, he might not make headlines like Ponting or Lara or Sachin but he is scoring runs almost all the time as evident from his test average of over 55.

Comment

Originally posted by LahoriMunda
          I have thought of this before that the kind of form Ponting is in he might go ont on to break many a records and the most centuries in tests is certainly within his reach considering he scores one every other damn match. But how is age on Ponting's side compared to Sachin ? Lara I can see since Lara is 5 years older then Ponting but Sachin is only a year older then Ponting and who knows Sachin might play for a while yet, Kapil Dev played well past his prime just to claim the world record for most wickets so who is to stop Sachin from doing the same and keep playing to keep his record safe. It has been speculated that he plays for the records more then the country so he might just go on for a while. Plus Dravbid is also one guy people need to watch out for, he is the same age as Ponting and he can play for a while as well and he is a quiet performer, he might not make headlines like Ponting or Lara or Sachin but he is scoring runs almost all the time as evident from his test average of over 55.
          Good point. But I think those days are gone when player will be carried in team just to break World record. Also age difference is close to 2 year.But most importantly Sachin has been playing for almost 17 years now where as Ricky is in 12th year. 17 years has taken its own toll. We can see Sachin having too many injury problem where as Ponting is fitter. I seem him playing many more years than Sachin. Also AUS plays more test matches/year. That also helps.

Regardng Dravid, He has too many scores in 80s and 90s. That expalins why he has such a good average but only 22 hundreds compare to 28 of Ponting. Dravid is already 33.I dont see him breaking those records.

Kallis could be other guy . He has 23 centuries and he is only 30 yrs old.

Code:
          [B]
          Player      Age    Centuries        Runs[/B]
          Sachin      33      35             10386   
          Lara        37      31             11204
          Ponting     31      28             8253
          Dravid      33      22             8244
          Inzi        36      25             8172
          Kallis      30      23             7613
          Hayden      34      25             6988
          Last edited by fair_&_balance; Feb 8, 2006, 02:41 PM.
          Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

Though Ponting's been in great form, but the last year has to be an anomaly. SEVEN centuries in a season will be hard to repeat. While Ponting will try to narrow the gap between his 28 centuries and Sachin's 35, Sachin also is bound to add a few more to his tally, regardless of what form he's in. And Ponting is bound to have a bad year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by brahmachari99
              Though Ponting's been in great form, but the last year has to be an anomaly. SEVEN centuries in a season will be hard to repeat. While Ponting will try to narrow the gap between his 28 centuries and Sachin's 35, Sachin also is bound to add a few more to his tally, regardless of what form he's in. And Ponting is bound to have a bad year or two.
              Thats a valid point. This is now I see it ...Sachin will probably play another 4 years ( around 30 tests) health permitting and may take his century total to 40. But I think Ponting will play for another 6 years( 50 test) and can score 12 centuries to go pastSachin. I think Ponting breaking century record is very realistic one. Not sure if he will break record of most runs. That one is a bit tricky one.
              Last edited by fair_&_balance; Feb 8, 2006, 03:04 PM.
              Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

Originally posted by fair_&_balance
                Good point. But I think those days are gone when player will be carried in team just to break World record. Also age difference is close to 2 year.But most importantly Sachin has been playing for almost 17 years now where as Ricky is in 12th year. 17 years has taken its own toll. We can see Sachin having too many injury problem where as Ponting is fitter. I seem him playing many more years than Sachin. Also AUS plays more test matches/year. That also helps.

Regardng Dravid, He has too many scores in 80s and 90s. That expalins why he has such a good average but only 22 hundreds compare to 28 of Ponting. Dravid is already 33.I dont see him breaking those records.

Kallis could be other guy . He has 23 centuries and he is only 30 yrs old.

Code:
                [B]
                Player      Age    Centuries        Runs[/B]
                Sachin      33      35             10386   
                Lara        37      31             11204
                Ponting     31      28             8253
                Dravid      33      22             8244
                Inzi        36      25             8172
                Kallis      30      23             7613
                Hayden      34      25             6988

Interesting. Kallis is also not too far from Ponting and is also a year younger. If he continue his form too we will be witnessing a tough fight for records in coming future!
                Goyan keshk aqbat taskeen ast...Awal shor ast aqbat namkeen ast
                Har chanz aasiyat sang zeerey...Ee surat-e-beqrar barbin ast

Comment

Very nice posts by all guppies (especially fair & balance bhai with his analysis). I do see there is a very close gap between Inzamam, Dravid, Hayden, and Kallis, as they are not too far behind (or ahead of) one another. There will be a tough competition further down the road amongst the above in order to obtain and secure a fourth (4th) position (and then take it from there, as time permits).

On another note, when (and if) the time comes for Ponting to close in on the top gap, the rivalry should be interesting to see (especially in the upcoming India/AUS test matches).

Comment

I doubt Ponting will be able to break Lara's record. Bus keh dya to maan lo and its written on the wall (the wall in my backyard )
                    I grow in learning as I grow in age.

Comment

I feel some of the Australian batsmen were better than Tendulkar but their stats do not show them to be that great. Like i always felt that Steve Wagh and Mark Waugh were better batsmen than tendulkar. Tendulkar scored many centuries against weaker teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, while Waugh brothers played against much tougher oppositions.
                      Grizzly bear

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast
                        I feel some of the Australian batsmen were better than Tendulkar but their stats do not show them to be that great. Like i always felt that Steve Wagh and Mark Waugh were better batsmen than tendulkar. Tendulkar scored many centuries against weaker teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, while Waugh brothers played against much tougher oppositions.
                        Chal hawa aane de...
                        Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast
                          Steve and Mark COMBINED could make a case out of it otherwise it's a long shot yaar!

Comment

Ponting is suggesting to recall super-sub rule. I hope ICC reviews it, either remove it at all or modify it so the sub can be named after the toss.
                            charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
                            zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

Originally posted by smooth_guy
                              modify it so the sub can be named after the toss.
                              Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.

Comment

Working...
                              X