Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Woolmer...

Salaam all,

sorry I can't contribute more in times of such glorious success but just want to run this one by you;

Bob Woolmer's contract ends after the 2007 World Cup, but his time in charge of the Pakistan national team has reaped rich dividends in my view. A meticulous, innovative approach allied to strong loyalty to his players has been a big factor in Pakistan's resurgence to the top in world cricket.

Will we go back to the gooli-danda style of coaching of Javed Miandad or should we target another professional? Who would be your choice?

Re: After Woolmer...

Bob Woolmer.
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme
      Salaam all,

sorry I can't contribute more in times of such glorious success but just want to run this one by you;

Bob Woolmer's contract ends after the 2007 World Cup, but his time in charge of the Pakistan national team has reaped rich dividends in my view. A meticulous, innovative approach allied to strong loyalty to his players has been a big factor in Pakistan's resurgence to the top in world cricket.

Will we go back to the gooli-danda style of coaching of Javed Miandad or should we target another professional? Who would be your choice?
      Welcome Back.. You were missed...
      And yes It should be Babloo bhai
      Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.
      Its good to be world champions again.
      And we though Aussies were invincible.

Comment

Not sure how easy it would be to convince chacha Bablu to stay. He has a life too and im sure he would like to go back home to South Africa to his family. Though i would love it if he stays.

The one thing missing from most of the local coaches we have is their ability to coach and that i suppose would make them pretty lousy coaches. If a person is the best in his field it doesnt mean he's also the best teacher in his field. University students might be able to relate to this - the best teachers often tend to be those who are fresh out of their PhD etc. The worst teachers are the 70 yr old proferrors who are usually deans of their departments.

Maybe PCB can offer an initiative where Woolmer can pass on his coaching style by training local prospective coaches. But then you dont know if a good coach can make a good coach trainer. Maybe PCB should send some people abroad to coach training school.

Sincerely,
        Captain Lota
        Kisee akeli shaam ki chup may, geet puraanay gaa kay dekho

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Lota
          Not sure how easy it would be to convince chacha Bablu to stay. He has a life too and im sure he would like to go back home to South Africa to his family. Though i would love it if he stays.

The one thing missing from most of the local coaches we have is their ability to coach and that i suppose would make them pretty lousy coaches. If a person is the best in his field it doesnt mean he's also the best teacher in his field. University students might be able to relate to this - the best teachers often tend to be those who are fresh out of their PhD etc. The worst teachers are the 70 yr old proferrors who are usually deans of their departments.

Maybe PCB can offer an initiative where Woolmer can pass on his coaching style by training local prospective coaches. But then you dont know if a good coach can make a good coach trainer. Maybe PCB should send some people abroad to coach training school.

Sincerely,
          Captain Lota
          What PCB can do is send eligible people to coaching trainings as Lota mentioned ,or they can arrange such sessions in Pakistan.
          This is something that happens all over the world in organizations sending people to trainings or conducting training on their own.
          But it appears that all PCB can do is claiming that they want qualified coaches, not actually doing anything for people to get qualified, and than in the end hiring Mushtaq Ahmed as a bowling consultant.
          Last edited by fkhan2; Feb 7, 2006, 04:26 PM.
          Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme
            Salaam all
            Walikum Assalam

If there is an open gate for Woolmer from his home, he might as well purchase that one-way ticket, but I am assuming his contract will be extended/renewed for the next couple of years down the road. It would come really handy (as Captain Lota mentioned) if Woolmer/PCB are open-heartedly willing to pass on a handful of coaching tricks to the next coach, provided Woolmer does leave. That would at least set the tone for the time being after the conclusion of World Cup.

Comment

Salam guppies,

I agree with Captain Lota that it be great to have Bob Woolmer stay even after the WC 2007 but nothing can be said. Having said that, Pak should look for foreign coaches not local coaches. Because, the local coaches train the Pak team in a desi manner and we need some real expertise in fielding and especially team fitness.

Remember when Bob Woomer was given the position as a coach, Aamir Sohail was the biggest opponent. He said things like that Pak players can't interact with him and Pak got many good ones than Woolmer. My point always was and still is that Woolmer turned the SA team around and why can't he do for Pak and just take a look @ the results we got under him.

The Pak team looks united and they are always giving a fight in the ground so there's a difference and the environment has changed under Woolmer. We don't have any politics like we used to have under Miandad.

Also, a good student doesn't necessarily make a good teacher so in the same sense, Pak should look for other coaches if Bob Woolmer thinks to leave Pak after the WC 2007. Not only that, Pak should get the local coaches some training overseas perhaps no better choice than Aussie academies in Australia. I am sure that would help produce better coaches for Pak team!!

Umer579

Comment

Forget the coaching differences between local and foreign coaches. The biggest thing is that foreign coaches do NOT play politics, unless it's Chappel of course . That is the most important thing in Pak cricket, handling the politics. Next is people management skills, look at the difference of how our home grown local coaches have utilized players like Akhtar, Afridi Malik and how Woolmer has handled them. I don't see many communication problems.

As much as I would like Woolmer to stay after the 07 WC, I doubt he will. But I am sure PCB will try its best to retain him especially if we have a good showing in the WC.
                who stole the sun from the sky

Comment

they should extend bob's contract
                  :.:.:Pakistan Zindabad:.:.:

Comment

Well we hope that Bob Woolmer continues after the 2007 World cup.

One thing to remember is that the cricket board in Pakistan is often associated with the ruling government. If we take the political climate and culture into account and if there is a new government than the chances are that new board will be appointed with their own chosen people. Whether they will continue with Bob Woolmer or replace him time will tell.

Pakistan was lucky to get someone of the calibre of Bob Woolmer to coach its cricket team. A lot of the foreign coaches have in the past been reluctant to take full time coaching assignment due to the instability and job security reasons.

There will be a time when the PCB will eventually need to replace him with another coach. It will not be easy task to replace him especially with some of his calibre and experience.

Don’t forget that PCB advertised for coaching positions for the National Cricket Academy and set out the requirements for these posts. I think they were not successful in their search. Therefore finding the right candidate as a coach of the national team will not be easy and not cheap either.

If we are to compete with the top cricketing nations than obviously we will need the right people and there are not many local coaches who have the experience and qualifications for such a position. Therefore the alternative is to look outside and obviously these foreign coach’s demand high salaries and if you want success than this will not come cheap.

Recently I posted another thread on Englands bowling coach requirements. Below are criteria set by the ECB for the post of England bowling coach:
                    • high-level fast bowlingcoaching experience
                    • a good knowledge of first-class and international cricket
                    • a minimum coaching qualification of ECB Level III international equivalent
                    • extensive experience of performance-analysis systems
                    • a detailed knowledge of bowling biomechanics
                    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/4643342.stm

The above are the requirements for one of the leading test playing nations. When people talk about bowling coach for Pakistanfor example - the names of Wasim & Waqar automatically come up? In order to compete with the likes of England and to keep pace with others - do any of the ex- Pakistani players meet any of the above requirements?

Mushtaq Ahmed is currently the bowling coach of Pakistan - I wonder if he was to apply for the England job - would he be considered???? More than likely No.

Here we are talking about bowling requirements and obviously the requirements of a head coach would be even higher.
                    There are plenty of critics of foreign coaches in Pakistan notably the likes of Javed Mianad and Aamir Sohail.

If we want local coaches than they should have the experience and qualifications and at present there are not many. The only Pakistani who has all the coaching qualifications is Wasim Raja and possibly Mushtaq Mohammed.

It is the responsibility of the PCB to take such initiates and plan for the future to ensure that we have the right and qualified people for the job .i.e. send them to England or Australia for coaching qualifications.

Its not about how good a player someone has been in the past that will necessarily make a good coach. Sports coaching is changing all the time with advent of latest coaching methods, training regimes, nutrition & diet understanding, introduction of psychology etc. We will need someone who has all round abilities and keeps pace with the new developments if we are to keep pace with the rest of major playing nations.

If we for any reason we do not get the right people for coaching positions than we may end up with people like Javed Miandad dancing and waving in the balcony. We certainly DO NOT need someone like him again in charge as a coach.
                    Last edited by Rock_Express; Feb 8, 2006, 10:26 AM.
                    Jokers + Cheaters + Fixers

Comment

wow how clearly written
                      :.:.:Pakistan Zindabad:.:.:

Comment

Its simple and clear who should be the next coach- Aaqib Javed!! he has done courses for coaching, has coached u-19 wc winning team, coached A team on forign tours, coaches in the academy, has extensive knowledge of the domestic players also!! Also cha cha woolmer also rates him high!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazba_pk
                          Its simple and clear who should be the next coach- Aaqib Javed!! he has done courses for coaching, has coached u-19 wc winning team, coached A team on forign tours, coaches in the academy, has extensive knowledge of the domestic players also!! Also cha cha woolmer also rates him high!
                          If they really want to plan for the future and want a local coach than someone like Aaqib Javed can be a good choice. I remember him being coach of the Pakistan under 19 side in Bangladesh, he remained so calm and cool in tense situations unlike Javed Mianad whom would dance and wave from the balcony.

I don't think he is at present responsible for coaching assignments? He should be working with likes of Bob Woolmer and get more experience.....

I definitely do not think he has any coaching qualifications, correct me if I am wrong (unless he has passed them recently). However - if he hasn't than he should be encouraged to take these qualifications by the PCB and invest in the future........
                          Jokers + Cheaters + Fixers

Comment

^ That is not a bad suggestion. Mohammad Asif's success has a lot to do with personal training from Aaqib Javed.

On the same note Rashid Latif wont make a bad coach either.. but i doubt if he'll have time since he's already running an academy.

Sincerely,
                            Captain Lota

[ATTACH]1537[/ATTACH]
                            At Aaquib Javed's (left) residence in Sheikhupura
                            Kisee akeli shaam ki chup may, geet puraanay gaa kay dekho

Comment

Coaching in Pakistan involved Politics (as someone said above) as well as man-management issues. Miandad was a good hardworking coach but he had man management/grudge issues which he could not get over.

Thats where Woolmer has excelled and I personally think Pakistan nation should be thankful to Ramiz Raja as he managed to convince him to take over the reins during the last days of his ceo tenure.

After woolmer, the mantle should go to Aaqib Javed (in case of a local coach and Bob Woolmer (in case of a foriegn coach). Or maybe we can get hold of Greg Chappel? At least Shoaib's action will be safe then.

Comment

Working...
                              X