Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chappel questions legality of Shoaib Akhtar’s action (trashes 'effort' balls)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chappel questions legality of Shoaib Akhtar’s action (trashes 'effort' balls)

Chappel questions legality of Shoaib Akhtars action

NEW DELHI, Jan 31:
    Indian coach Greg Chappell has re-opened the debate about Pakistan Shoaib Akhtars bowling action, saying there was seriously something different about it after Sachin Tendulkar and Anil Kumble were struck on the head by paceman in Karachi.

In a thinly veiled attack on Shoaib Akhtar, Chappell said he would not recommend anyone follow his action, especially with bouncer he calls his effort ball.

His action, from what guys tell me, is very difficult to pick up. There is something seriously different about it. Sometimes people are just caught by surprise. I have seen a lot of people hit by him, not the least Tendulkar and Kumble. I think we can do with our players not being hit like that, Chappell on Tuesday told Indias 24-hour television channel Times Now.

I would seriously recommend people not to follow it (his action), he said.

Akhtar was twice reported by umpires over throwing allegations but his action was finally cleared by University of Western Australias testing centre in 2001. The tests found that he hyperextended his elbow because of an abnormality in the joint.

But Chappell contested that ruling. I dont buy the argument that its because of a deformity. But Im not a doctor to make a comment on the legality of delivery, he said.

The ICC has some new software they are using to scrutinise actions and everyone who is playing at the highest level, including Shoaib and Muralidran, should be checked, he said.

But West Australian biomechanics expert Bruce Elliott, who carried out the testing of bowlers such as Akhtar and Muralidaran, and will scrutinise South African spinner Johan Botha, said it was unnecessary to re-examine Pakistani paceman and Sri Lankan spinner.

Both of them were tested under same conditions as what were going to be using for Botha. They have already been tested and cleared. Shoaib gets hyperextension, which the ICC says is OK, and rightly so. he said.

Just for the record University of Western Australia testing centre twice cleared Pakistans another pacer Shabbir Ahmed but later he was finally banned for one year.PPI

Dawn

Well.........?

Re: Chappel questions legality of Shoaib Akhtars action (trashes 'effort' balls)

i expected excuses but not so soon from the indian team and coach
    I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Re: Chappel questions legality of Shoaib Akhtars action (trashes 'effort' balls)

Basically he's saying his countrymen at U of Western Australia incompetent *****.

Sincerely,
      Captain Lota
      Kisee akeli shaam ki chup may, geet puraanay gaa kay dekho

Comment

Originally posted by dhobi_bhai
        The ICC has some new software they are using to scrutinise actions and everyone who is playing at the highest level, including Shoaib and Muralidran, should be checked,” he said.
        He did not mention Harbhajan name as per convenience!

oh well
        The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

Will Shoaib be reported for his action ?

yaaar ye indians harnay ke baad rona shurooo na karden...
          i didn't watch the game but heard that Shoaib was being accused of chucking in the match...please provide some info
          Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

but I kind of licked what Indian media said in reply.. they actually supported Akhtar and claimed that ou coach and the team are just whining..

btw Shoabi did not do much of damage to the Indian team in this series, so they should be happy... and try to find soethign with Razzaq and Asif action. so they can whine and whine

Comment

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) plans to investigate alleged comments made by India coach Greg Chappell that stated he is concerned with paceman Shoaib Akhtar's bowling action.

"We have seen these reports and we are trying to find out whether he has said these things," PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan said on Wednesday.

Shoaib Akhtar"If he has implied anything about Shoaib's action it is a violation of the ICC [International Cricket Council] code of conduct."

A former Australian captain, Chappell was reported by an Indian television channel as saying that there is "something seriously different" about Shoaib's action.

His comments came after Indian batsmen Sachin Tendulkar and Anil Kumble were hit on the helmet by rising Shoaib deliveries in the third and final Test between the sides taking place in Karachi.

The television channel claimed Chappell had told them he had seen a lot of people hit by Shoaib and that India could do without their players being hit like that.

Khan pointed out that the PCB has also asked match referee Ranjan Madugalle to look into the matter.

"Even if something has been implied in any statement we will pursue it with the match referee," he said

"In 2004, our chief selector Wasim Bari made some comments about the umpires officiating in a international game involving Pakistan and he was reprimanded by the ICC for violation of code of conduct which applies to all players, team and board officials."

The 30-year-old Shoaib has been reported three times for a suspect bowling action but was cleared to play first class cricket in 2001, after which he has not been reported again.

"Even if there is a problem with his action, there is a procedure outlined by the ICC and team officials can't imply anything," Khan added.

http://in.rediff.com/cricket/2006/feb/01pcb.htm
              Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

Dimagh Kharaab,, Pagall.. .. iss kay sir per orr chappaal maroo.

Comment

sore loser
                  ~*~Pakistan hamari jaan, sabse pehley Pakistan~*~

Comment

Re: Will Shoaib be reported for his action ?

no
                    he wont

he has been cleared once
                    however the only action that will be taken is against the Indian coach for making such comments
                    I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Re: Will Shoaib be reported for his action ?

Holding just did analysis on ARY and said that while Shoaib has hyperextension arms, whatever that mean he also said that RP Singh does the same thing as well. He showed R P Singh form sideways and you could see the "chucking", if that is the right way to describe it.

Comment

sour grapes eh.

Where was he during the last 2 tests and suddenly after a lost game they need to find an excuse.

Comment

^ Ditto, Boycott summed it up pretty nicely, why do such issues pop up when you're losing?

Maybe he should work on improving his team instead of picking faults with bowling actions.
                          who stole the sun from the sky

Comment

Chappell playing loser tactics like his loser team. Expected!

Comment

Chappel inviting chappals now? shame on a sore loser, I guess he has learnt a bit from Ganguly

Comment

Working...
                              X