A Case for Shoaib Akhter (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Case for Shoaib Akhter (merged)

Shoaib Akhter, yeh cheez kia hai....we all agree he is Mr. Bigmouth, full of himself, unbearable self praise. But is that reason enuff for him being dropped? I think not, there are all sorts of egoistical players in this world, why sud Shaibee be treated any different.

Reasons for his removal from the Pak side and supported by his critics are as follows:

1. Physically not fit
    2. Unable to complete his bowling in a inning
    3. Lacks commitment
    4. Indisciplined
    5. Has negative impact on team spirit

Lets take each and every argument and examine them objectively.

1. No one can dispute a players phyical fitness issue, unless it is made controversial by the ill-timed and unneeded Inzi statement that he was dropped for disciplinary reasons. Therefore, if Mr Shoaib is fit, he sud be considered.

2. This has become a much hyped point against Shoaib. Sadly for his critics, it holds no water. Just take a look at the cricinfo statsguru on SA and see how many times he broke down and compare that to any other fast bowler like Harmison or Waqar Yunis. Throughout SA career he has consistently bowled for his team except for a few occasions just like any other fast bowler. Season of 2002-2004 he has bowleed well in the 12-25 over range. Yes he did breakdown, is that such a big crime or was this used as an excuse by those who wanted to shift the responsibility of losing that series?

3. Commitment is a subjective issue but can be gauged by looking at the overs bowled and the point above and his 144 wickets in test cricket at an econ rate of 24.78 sud be good enuff to prove his commitment.

4. Indisciplned says who and where is more important. On the field SA has yet to be accused of misconduct or misbehaving with his teammates. Yohana/Razzak episode was a case of on field misconduct, similarly, Afridi/Inzamam/Yunus episode was a dressing room case. Can anyone remind us when and where SA was involved in such an incident please?

5. How can one man affect team spirit? If one guy can do this then fire the manager and coach please. Team spirit comes with a team winning matches, when they hv losing streaks then spirit can evaporate very quickly.

Conclusion:
    Provided a player is physically fit, qualifies on merit and has demonstrated ability in the past then there is no reason why he sud not be in the Pak team.

Re: A Case for Shoaib Akhter

^^

FartGuru Bhai,

Please read my comments here, I am too tired to type them again.

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthrea...09#post3312209

Comment

Originally posted by Aejaz
      ^^

FartGuru Bhai,

Please read my comments here, I am too tired to type them again.
      Aejaz Bhai,
      I know this is painful, but like any other medicine we hv to do the right thing, take the full dose.....

Comment

As much as I appreciate your typing effort, I am sure you could have found all the arguments for/against Shoaib in many a threads opened before. Anyways I will keep it open for now before locking it eventually. and for you, few of numerous links you can find on KK.

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=184025

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=182789

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=181242

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=180346

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=180151
        The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

^^

Saby Bhai you talking to me???

Comment

^nopes.
            The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

Originally posted by Saby
              As much as I appreciate your typing effort, I am sure you could have found all the arguments for/against Shoaib in many a threads opened before. Anyways I will keep it open for now before locking it eventually. and for you, few of numerous links you can find on KK.
              Point noted,
              typing: 10/10, Content: No comment?

Comment

Say what u want to about his character, but it's uncalled 4, presuming his commitment to the game. He tries to work as hard as the others, just with him having so much media attention 4 obvious reasons, every step he seems to take is scrutinized.

What shabi can do with the ball, no 1 else can in our bowling line up and dat fact, can't be taken away from him. Just wait for the series against england in october, he'll do what he does best, which is to make his critics drink some shut up juice. [:insha:]

Comment

These sheep won't get it. Stop trying, fartguru. They all know deep down in their hearts that they wanted Shoaib in both innings where Lara was kicking our rear ends, but they won't admit to it. Rehne do.

Comment

Admit it kids, Pakistan is nothing without Shoaib Akhtar.
                    We defeated an out of form, second class Indian team, but we can't beat anybody else with Halwa bowlers.

Shoaib is the nucleus of the Pakistani team, and they will get no where without him.

Look at his performance against the Australians and compare it with any fast bowler in the world, Shoaib is head above everyone else (besides Shane Bond)

His fitness problem is just like any other fast bowler, take a look at other express fast bowlers in world today.
                    Brett Lee was out for 10 months due to injury.
                    Shane Bond has been injured on and off through out his whole career.
                    Jermaine Lawson, and Fidel Edwards have been injured as well.

He is 100% committed on the field, his tireless bowling in Australia is a true example of that. He only seemed non committed with defeat was certain.

Comment

nobody denies the fact shoaib is an awesome bowler. but how did we do well in india with him and also gave australia a run for their money. they also deserved to win the first match of vb series which was decided because of some dodgy umpire. about his breakdown, broked down last year in india vs pak. brokedown in australia again. how often does that happen to mcgrath, gillespie, harmison, shaun pollock. i'm talking about break down, not injuries

Comment

Originally posted by pakinecro
                        nobody denies the fact shoaib is an awesome bowler. but how did we do well in india with him and also gave australia a run for their money. they also deserved to win the first match of vb series which was decided because of some dodgy umpire. about his breakdown, broked down last year in india vs pak. brokedown in australia again. how often does that happen to mcgrath, gillespie, harmison, shaun pollock. i'm talking about break down, not injuries
                        In Australia it was because of tow strike bowlers, Kaneria and Shoaib we were able to give a decent fight. Check the stats on Australian tour, best bowler was Kaneria followed by Shoaib Akhter. Thus the criticism levelled against him sounds rather dubious.

India test series was drawn, but look at the 15days of cricket played, India dominated atleast 10-12days. End result is 1-1 series drawn but it does not show the weakness of Pak bowling attack which was exposed then and in WI.

One day cricket is a different ball game, here u can rely upon decent bowling attacks who hv to maintain a steady length and line waiting for the batsmen to take chances, thus the success of bowlers like Rana.

Breaking down is what fast bowlers do. Imran Khan broke down in the Indian tour back when Sikander Bakht single handidly led the attack. Then there were many rumours and accusations that Khan sahib was having a good time and was faking his injuries.

SA is wrongly accused of too many breakdowns, this fact can be ascertained and confirmed by checking cricinfo.com, statsguru, Shoaib Akhter and a inning-inning scan. Compare this with other fast bowlers, u will not find much of a difference.

What is troubling for me as a Pakistani cricket fan is the way SA has been made the scapegoat for the Australian fiasco and all other losses Pakistan suffered under Inzi+Bob Wollmer management. Reason why we lost the Australian test series was the failure of our batting and Inzi's supposed injury, not bowling. Yet all blame was shifted on Shoaib.

Comment

fartguru - I strongly believe that Shoaib has provided some thrilling moments of cricket to his fans and the Country.
                          Infact he belongs to an extra ordinary bowling class with some big names in it.

Any thing else beside his game that he had allegedly said or done has been his private matters or opinions overblown and cleaverly twisted by the 'foreign media' and our 'local media' jahils as always is guilty of stealing such spicey contents from these 'foreign' sources spreading to their own population through garbage newspapers and publications in Pakistan thus adding fuel to the fire.

His constant breakdowns are unfortunate and not pre-meditated. But cricket fans don't see these things in a sympathetic way and are always brutal in their opinions.

In the past we had players with such regular breakdowns such as Sarfraz, Imran,Saeed Anwer and his famous Fevers, Atta-ur-Rehman and few others,,,,without any mercy from their fans,,,

Last but not least ,, to say that Shoaib Akhter is responsible of disturbing 'dressing room atmosphere' is rediculeous and laughable.

Pak teams dressing room 'fiascos are commen and always be there. As we have seen recently when there is no 'Shoiab element' in the dressing rooms.
                          In fact its worse than we ever had in the recent Pak cricket history. How does one explain that?

As long as we have an 'educational or gentlman content' missing' from the team structure
                          oor expectations should not wxpwct any thing else.

It would be very unfortunate to put 'one person' on the gallows and keep b*****ng him with name calling and abuse.

Shoaib has been an excellent team person, has been friendly with most of the players, and has NEVER been seen on TV in any controversial situations.
                          He has always been attentive and an excellent fielder while on the field.

His skill has been extra ordinarley demanding and he has always shun advise to change some thing that he's not comfortable with.

People who question his integrity and place in the side suffer through their own insecurities.

I believe that people on this KK forums are 'narrow minded conservative hardliners who only see things from their own stiff neck and supposedly humorous perspectives.
                          *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
                          Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

Just because Shoaib doesn't read Paanch Waqt ki namaaz and visits nightclubs means he is disturbing Maulana Inzi's dressing room atmosphere. It is this thinking that led to his exclusion from the team and not his fitness. It is sad, really.

Comment

Originally posted by the game
                              Just because Shoaib doesn't read Paanch Waqt ki namaaz and visits nightclubs means he is disturbing Maulana Inzi's dressing room atmosphere. It is this thinking that led to his exclusion from the team and not his fitness. It is sad, really.
                              That cud be the catalyst, but real problem with Inzi has been his insecurity as a leader. Any player who threatens his leadership becomes tainted and the subject of humiliation and castigation.

I blame our administrators, selectors and other officials who promote a culture of idolization, one man rule. Defeating Inida in the one day series was hailed as the comming of Christ, it was amazing. What happens if India beats them? Do they get their citizenship revoked? Its silly, but thats how ppl generally behave in the sub-continent.

Pakistan deserves to be served by its best, in batting and bowling. If there are exceptions made then they need to be made under extenuating circumstances which can be explained easily understood. Double standards and developing personality cults does not help Pakistan but the interest of a few.

Comment

Working...
                              X