X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India preparing for 2011 Cup bid/Pakistan to join India

just heard on the news...

India's cricketers would love to lift the World Cup on home soil
    India are to set to launch a bid to stage the 2011 Cricket World Cup.
    The tournament has been played in the sub-continent on twice in the past, India co-hosting with Pakistan in 1987 and with Pakistan in Sri Lanka in 1996.

Indian board president Ranbir Singh Mahendra said they had not yet decided whether it should be a joint bid or whether they would try to go it alone.

"We have plenty of time to decide these things. But we are serious about holding the 2001 World Cup," he added.

India will face opposition from 1992 hosts Australia and New Zealand, who are planning another joint application.

"We will express our interest but do not know what the bidding process will be yet," said New Zealand Cricket chief Martin Snedden.

But he added: "Because of the number of countries in the Asian region, it will come around more frequently there."

A decision on who should host the tournament will be taken by full and associate members of the International Cricket Council.

An ICC spokesman told BBC Sport, however, that it was not on the agenda for this year's meeting which will take place next month.

The next World Cup takes place in 2007 when it will be staged in the West Indies for the first time.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...ia/4607339.stm

Re: India preparing for 2011 Cup bid

^^

Balle Balle , Hope we can Host the Cup, and then eventually hold the Cup!!

:bhangra:

Comment

Originally posted by Aejaz
      ^^

ahhh, delusion of grandeur.

Comment

I'd say let it host Australia and NZ you know never know what will be the situation between Pak and Ind in 2011. Even if the situation is good still I'd love to see Aust hosting the WC of 2011.
        I grow in learning as I grow in age.

Comment

Originally posted by Aejaz
          ^^

Yes you will hold the cup till the final and than give it to its rightful owners, your next door neighbours - Pakistan.

Comment

I personally think the best world cup ever was the 1992 WC. Not because we won it but the format was good and the whole tournament was really well organised. I say give it to australia and newzealand.
            Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

Originally posted by fkhan2
              I personally think the best world cup ever was the 1992 WC. Not because we won it but the format was good and the whole tournament was really well organised. I say give it to australia and newzealand.
              World Cup 1999 in England wasn't too shabby either. I say give it back to them! But I do think AUS/NZL will get it, as they haven't had it for a while.

Comment

Plus cricket looks so sexy when played in Aus/NZ (and I am not talking about spectators )
                charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
                zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

Originally posted by smooth_guy
                  Plus cricket looks so sexy when played in Aus/NZ (and I am not talking about spectators )
                  Yes i was about to say that cricket looks sexy there, both in terms of the game and the crowd
                  Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

^ Nope, do not agree with that. It looks sexier in Lahore.

Comment

World Cup needs to be played in Australia!

For one.. their stadiums are the best in the cricket world, especially if they can fit some games in the Telstra Stadium (in Sydney), Telstra Dome (in Melbourne) or the new MCG.

Imagine the World Cup Final in the Telstra Stadium. Nothing would beat that.

If you want to compete with football.. you will have to try hard!
                      The fact that Football World Cup 2006 will be in Germany with all the latest stadium structures will be hard for cricket to meet. Infact, I guarentee you South Africa World Cup 2010 will be a amazing show for everyone to watch.

No one wants to see the cricket WORLD CUP games played in "grounds" like The Hove, Durham, small grounds in West Indies, people sitting in lawn chairs, etc. People are looking for technology, modern stadiums with domes, floodlights, electronic scoreboards, video screen, big capacity stadiums, and white people.

If the game of cricket needs to be expanded within the white communities, it needs to be played in Australia.

Comment

hopefully world cup 2011 will be in aussie land and i'll get a chance to see it inshallah...come on aussie come on
                        Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

Pakistan to join India for 2011 World Cup bid

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided to join the Indians in making a joint bid for the 2011 World Cup.

Chairman Shaharyar Khan confirmed on Sunday that he would be holding discussions with the Indian Board officials during the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) meeting in London later this month to discuss a joint bid.

"We are not in a position to make a bid for the World Cup and stage it single handedly. But we feel that with India also showing interest in hosting the tournament we can go for a joint bid," he said.

Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka hosted the 1996 World Cup while in 1987 Pakistan and India had staged this premier event. Both times the competition was held with great success.

"Our previous experiences of jointly staging the World Cup has been a good one and I feel we should do it again," he added. The 2007 World Cup is to be hosted by the West Indies.

Shaharyar said that during the ACC meeting he would convince the Indian Board officials that both countries should file a joint bid because the distances between the two countries were so short that there were no logistical problems involved in staging the competition.

He also said that the final itinerary for next year’s Asia Cup would also be finalised during the ACC moot which would be held after the International Cricket Council (ICC) executive board meeting.

The News
                          Main Kabhi Batlata Nahin
                          Par Andhere Se Darta Hoon Main Maa
                          Tujhe Sab Hain Pata,Meri Maa

Comment

Re: Pakistan to join India for 2011 World Cup bid

Great idea.....hope this works out.

Indo-Pak combined is what, 85% of worldwide cricket revenue?

Comment

Re: Pakistan to join India for 2011 World Cup bid

Hindi / Paki Bhai Bhai except for a few intellectual gentlemen or Women

Comment

Working...
                              X