Kick Bangladesh out of test cricket - Says Aussie Greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Bangladesh out of test cricket - Says Aussie Greats

so what do you guys think.Should Bangladesh be stripped off its test status.

(Saby and Ehsan Bhai, if you guys want, we can have poll on this issue. Thanks)

Benaud calls for ban on minnows

Monday, 30 May , 2005, 11:28
    London: Former Australian captain Richie Benaud Richie Benaud added his voice to calls for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe to be dropped from senior international cricket. The Australia cricket great, currently in England where he is commentating for broadcaster Channel 4, made his comments after witnessing Bangladesh's innings and 261 run defeat in the first Test at Lord's.

The match, Bangladesh's first Test in England, finished before lunch on the third day on Saturday with Benaud labelling it an "absolute shambles".

Benaud, writing in the News of the World, Britain's biggest selling Sunday tabloid, was adamant that the presence of Bangladesh - whose only win in 37 Tests has come against fellow strugglers Zimbabwe - was neither good for the game as a whole or for the teams themselves.

"After witnessing this two-and-a-bit day farce at Lord's, I am convinced our game's governing body - the International Cricket Council - must make a firm and swift decision," Benaud said.

"They must remove Bangladesh and Zimbabwe from full-time international cricket until their ability and infrastructure warrant their re-inclusion.

"Both teams need to be put on hold for the good of cricket. They are simply not good enough to be pitched against proper Test match countries."

Benaud added: "What should be done is to have both countries scheduled to play a carefully programmed series of matches against A teams and minor teams from the other eight (Test) countries and they should play against one another as well.

"They can undertake short tours where none of the opposition will be of international standard and we can see if they are improving, standing still or going backwards."

The ICC is due to hold its annual meetings at Lord's in June. However, it is unlikely that the standing of either Bangladesh or Zimbabwe will be on the agenda given that the governing body has repeatedly said the duo's Test status is not up for discussion.

Benaud, 74, one of cricket's best-known broacasters, was the first player to complete the all-round double of 2,000 Test runs and 200 Test wickets.

The leg-spinner led Australia in 28 of his 63 Tests and never lost a series as captain.

Bangladesh should lose Test status, says Warne Reuters
    London, May 30, 2005

Struggling Bangladesh should not be at playing at Test level, says Australia leg spinner Shane Warne. "At the moment, I feel sorry for the Bangladesh players because they are getting mauled time and time again," Warne wrote in a column for a British daily on Monday.

"It is all very well to say that they are gaining experience, but how do you improve when you are being embarrassed and humiliated in public week after week?

"To be brutally honest, they are not up to standard and should not be playing Test cricket."

The Asian nation, the most recent addition to the 10-team Test fraternity, were humiliated by England at Lord's last week in the first Test of a two-match series.

Bangladesh, outclassed throughout, lost by an innings and 261 runs on the third morning, having conceded a 420-run first-innings deficit after being steamrollered for 108 on the opening day.

For Bangladesh, playing at Lord's for the first time, it was their 32nd defeat in 37 Tests.

"The worst aspect is that I cannot see any light on the horizon for Bangladesh," added Warne. "I have not seen anything to suggest that they might be even a moderate team in the years ahead.

FREEING SCHEDULE

"Looking at international cricket overall, it is clear that taking away Bangladesh and Zimbabwe would free up time in the schedule.

"I think most people certainly most players believe that it is too cramped as things stand. Fewer countries means less cricket means more rest means fewer injuries means a better standard when we do play."

However, Warne does not want Bangladesh to lose their international status.

"They could play first-class cricket against state teams in other countries -- India, as their neighbours, would be a good place to start," he said.

"Maybe they could host A tours so that spectators could still see decent cricket and get behind them.

"If Bangladesh become successful, I am sure it would have a huge, positive effect on the country and inspire millions of youngsters. But there are ways to help without exposing them to a level above their capabilities."

One of five players named as Wisden's cricketers of the 20th century for revitalising the art of leg spin, Warne is captaining English county side Hampshire this season.

http://sify.com/sports/cricket/fullstory.php?id=13811849&headline=Benaud~calls~fo r~ban~on~minnows

http://www.hindustantimes.com/htcricket/14_1382009.htm
    Last edited by phoenixdesi; May 30, 2005, 06:06 PM.

Re: Kick Bangladesh out of test cricket - Says Aussie Greats

He is right. This is shameful for the other test playing nations to rotten poor boongaaleez again and again.
    charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
    zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

Originally posted by smooth_guy
      He is right. This is shameful for the other test playing nations to rotten poor boongaaleez again and again.
      I think ICC think tanks were doping just like PCB when they awarded the test status to this side. I think they don't even deserve the ODI status. A humiliating defeat at lords is not something new. They have sucked in the past as well on consistent basis and ICC has always appeared to ignore that. I wonder if there is some politics going on. Anyways I have said it earlier as well that one team which definitely needs ICC's attention is kenya. They are much better side than BD but unfortunately never were promoted by ICC.
      Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

my honest opinion is that Bangladesh is not deserving of Test status, and barely deserving of ODI status

however, i wonder how wise it is to kick out one team from an already small pool of teams that will never get any larger in this perpetually declining sport.

perhaps they should be allowed to linger

Comment

Nikhil,, I totally agree. The lack of teams is the main problem.
          But BD really biases all the stats. A lot of players have pumped up averages by playing BD. I think it ruins he integrity of the game to some respect.

Comment

But I think its not gonna happen since ICC is moving to Dubai and they want more Asian countries to promot cricket and population and cricket fever wise BD is on the top of the list (unfortunately their team is not even half talented as other associate members let alone a test team). Its a big market and opperutnity for ICC and local boards as well, that is why Asian championship is held on the regular basis. The sub-continent cricket brings some 1.5B market will a flood of money by Multinationals targeting these four counteries.

So in ICCs decision beating big $$ is also a factor.
            charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
            zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

Maybe let Pakistani old guns (Wasim, Waqar, Saeed and few more) play for Bangladesh, help the Bengali brathers. That way atleast they will be able to beat Zim, Kenya, Ind and take 7th or 8th place on ICC chart.
              I grow in learning as I grow in age.

Comment

Originally posted by teaser
                Maybe let Pakistani old guns (Wasim, Waqar, Saeed and few more) play for Bangladesh, help the Bengali brathers. That way atleast they will be able to beat Zim, Kenya, Ind and take 7th or 8th place on ICC chart.
                Speaking of Wasim Akram and Bangladesh reminds me of 1999 World Cup. After Pakistan's defeat against Bangladesh, Wasim Akram said he was glad that if Pakistan lost, they lost to their Bangladeshi brothers. Bangladeshi captain in his interview some time later said he was glad to have defeated Pakistan to avenge 1971!

I doubt Bangladeshis like Pakistanis much.

Comment

Well, I hardly think Wasim bhai's "generosity" or Bangladeshi "hostility" is of much relevance right now. Simple fact is that their team sucks. And not only does it sucks, it sucks pretty badly. I, for one, totally agree that they had many chances to improve, and by losing 32 of their 37 test matches, they have shown that they are in the deep end, much beyond their ability or talent.

Since 2000-01, when they got the test status, they have lost all test matches against every team they played, except Zimbabwe. Not even draws (except one draw against WI out of 4). Against Zimbabwe, they have played 8 tests, lost 4 and won 1. Anyway you slice the cat, its an abysmal record. After the current tour of England, their entire calendar is filled with ODI's, except a test series in Sep against SL. They should be told that their test status depends on winning atleast one test against SL, and if they don't, their test status will be taken away and they can continue to play ODI's against Tier 1 teams. And they will have to apply again for test status, after a proven record against A teams.
                  Last edited by Faisal; May 31, 2005, 07:11 PM.
                  "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

I wonder if I could make Bangladesh as a lower order batsman?
                    Honestly I think I would have at least an outside chance, I mean I have to better than some of the guys they have down there.

Comment

It's not so much about winning tests but rather the overall capability of BD as a viable test team. All of their batsmen lack the skills and technique to survive at the top level. Their bowling is very mediocre. But the most alarming thing is that there are no signs of improvement.

Comment

Maybe we should have a 2-tier Test structure. Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, and the likes should be relegated to the second level and they should play only among themselves unless their performance dramatically improves. The problem with this is only Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are head and shoulders below the other teams, so the tier-2 would consist of only these two teams.

Comment

Some one was talking about Pak BD match of WC 99. Did you guys remember they beat us or should I say we let them win on this very same day, May 31st.
                          Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

Guys! The good thing about history is it never changes!
                            and its allways available for references,,,,,,so go back and check few points,,,

Sri Lanka had to struggle for many years for a 'Test status' and got it in (1981 I believe)
                            and Pakistan was instigating its status due to 'friendly' nations. C.Lloyed was the CEO.

BD got its Test status in the Shadow of the WC and only 1 year of its application with the blessings of the recently evolved Asian Cricket group under the ICC legislation. This time Mr. Dalmiya was at the helm.

He was mobilizing his on lobby to gain concessions from ICC for much more broader Asian game circuit including UAE $$ Singapore, BD and few others,,,,, and rest is all open knowledge as well. I'm not suggesting any wrong doing on his part,,,but BD decision was rather in haste and for other reasons,,,,,
                            *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
                            Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

Working...
                            X