Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Brainstorming Session on Pakistan Cricket!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Brainstorming Session on Pakistan Cricket!!

It appears to me that Rana would always be very successful in one day international format because of his good line and length that forces the opponent batsmen to commit a mistake to accelerate the run rate. However, in test matches where opponents have enough time to settle in, Rana seems to be devoid of enough arsenal to get wickets on a regular basis. I am saying all this keeping in view the extreme commitment and passion shown by Rana on the field all the time. I also understand that Rana was little unlucky in this test match with some umpiring decisions going in the opponent’s favor. Some dropped catches of his bowling did not help him either but then, every one suffers from such incidents and at the end of the day, only a genuine bowler ends up with some wickets in test cricket. I don’t see this happening with Rana in test matches. Therefore, I suggest replacing Rana in test matches with some one else. And I am not talking about changing him right away. All I am suggesting that given Rana’s limited resources, a strategic decision needs to be made in the best interest of Team Pakistan. For the very next test match, we can either continue with rana or bring shahid nazir instead of him. I have no doubt in my mind that Rana will continue serving Pakistan’s ODI team with a great distinction for many coming years Inshallah.

Yasir hammed has been a failure for a long time and it is about time to discard him from the pool of potential players. A lot of guppies have expressed their disappointment over his inability to learn from his mistakes. I think it is not Yasir’s mistake. It is not about learning from his mistakes only. The guy has some basic flaws in his technique and unless he resolves them, he will continue to be a failure at international level. Again, it is a strategic decision that needs to be made from a long term perspective. It is not a bad idea to spend some time nourishing Bazid Khan now who seems to be a good player.

Shahid Afridi is proving to be an unmatchable talent and there is an absolute need to preserve him with great care. We can easily turn him into our own Gilchrist. Now, who the hell asked him to open the innings in the first half of this test match? What a mind boggling decision!! In my opinion, by now, PCB administration should understand that Mohammad Shahid Khan Afridi will only open in ODI and that is only if these matches are being played in Pakistan, India or Sharja where the ball does not swing much. However, in test matches, Afridi will never ever open the innings with few exceptions (only when Pakistan needs to accelerate the run rate dramatically such as Bangalore test match).

As much as some guppies tried to downplay the ugly incidence reported to have happened in Pakistani dressing room during the first test match between Pak-WI (reported by Waheed Khan-the News sports reporter), it was obvious that the team was not playing to its full potential. Instead of getting involved in a debate regarding the accuracy of the incidence, it is little sad to see the team crumbling after historic tour of India and fighting with each other right in the middle of the ground. Waheed Khan, the news reporter, could be a total jerk but how could one deny Yoyo-Razzaq’s fighting drama? And if that fighting drama was not enough, Mr. Yoyo decided to leave the ground at a critical moment after this fight. Yes, true, one can easily ignore this incidence attributing it to the heat of the moment but was it really a small incidence only or was it an indication of lack of professionalism at this level?? Frankly speaking, It was little too disturbing to see such attitude after Indian tour and I hope that Bob and Inzi would pay attention to this.

(Please keep in mind that these comments are not made just because Pakistan has lost the first test match. These comments are made based on the performance of some of these players for last one year.)

Re: A Brainstorming Session on Pakistan Cricket!!

bhai itna dar dar kar likhnay ki kiya zaroorat hai. khol kar kaho. first of all u were one of those who were whining during the match over Pakistan's poor performance. I am not disappointed at all since I knew our batting has no depth and experience. Even I predicted 50% chance for both teams with Lara in and Inzi out from the first test. More weight was gained by Windies with Yoyo flying back due to family emergency. So a defeat was visible on the first day of the match. And also that our bowling did well (with availble resources) it was our batting that let us down, but again it was expected.

I agree with you on Rana, Yasir and the lack of professionalism.

I hope these guys learn from the history of Pakistan cricket, specially the recent one. Otherwise this team of young players will soon become the heavy weight star-studded Pakistan team of WC03 with 9 senior players all going in their own direction and the result will be the same disasterous.
    charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
    zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

If we've persisted with Razzaq as a bowler for so long, we can surely persist with Rana. Rana is a far better bowler than Razzaq, but Razza has only recently started taking wickets after a long gap. It's unfair to say Rana will never be successful in Tests. We should at least give him a decent run until we discard him in Tests.

Yasir does have serious flaws in his batting. And most of these very same flaws are exhibited by ALL Pakistani batsmen except Inzi. Yasir has been good on flat wickets, and so has Shoaib Malik and others. His replacement might not be any better.

As for Shahid Afridi, I think the decision to open the batting with him must've been taken because Afridi did open in Tests in India and was reasonably successful. His true position is as an opener, and he can change the complexion of a match if he stays a reasonable amount of time on the wicket. I don't remember any Afridi innings of substance in Tests or ODIs when NOT playing as an opener. Despite that, I think he should stick to 6 or 7 down in Tests... there's hardly any need for heroics as an opener in Tests.

Comment

Originally posted by brahmachari99
        If we've persisted with Razzaq as a bowler for so long, we can surely persist with Rana. Rana is a far better bowler than Razzaq, but Razza has only recently started taking wickets after a long gap. It's unfair to say Rana will never be successful in Tests. We should at least give him a decent run until we discard him in Tests.
        Are'nt u confusing a recognized all rounder with an average bowler? Both bowlers are very similar in style and rhythm, therefore, having both playing together really doesnt make sense. Probably, players like Shahid Nazir wud hv been a better choice who offer variety to the bowling attack.

Comment

Its true that Rana has not been as successful in Tests as in ODI's, but we must give him a good run. Player like him will certainly improve himself and wont be a libility on team.

Yasir should be rested for a while and see if guy improve on technique.

Afridi should play on the position his captain wants him to.

Some thing on Bazid as well. The guy has the potential and deserve time to settle down.
          Allah humma lakal hamdo walakashukar....

Comment

Lets see. We want to keep afridi in the side. I guess with his current performance I say we don't want afridi but we need him in the side. Now the debate is where he would play? I agree that he should fluctuate according to the need of the situation and if situation demands he should go and open, other wise coming in the middle is not bad at all. But then we have a problem in the opening department. Assuming that youhana might join the team for the 2nd test, we have younis, inzi,youhana and akmal in the middle order coming at no:3, 4, 5 , and 6. Then we have razzak and akmal at 7 and 8 and then 3 bowlers. So where will we fit afridi? Either he has to come as an opener if we don't want to disturb no: 3, 4 ,5 and 6 positions and in that case we wont have the advanatge of afridi coming down the order or else some one has to open with salman, if afridi has to come down the order. That someone could be younis i guess. The point is with the 4 middle order batsmen and afridi in the side, we won't be having a natural opening pair in the side. Some one has to adjust his position always according to the situation.
            Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

Originally posted by fkhan2
              Lets see. We want to keep afridi in the side. I guess with his current performance I say we don't want afridi but we need him in the side. Now the debate is where he would play? I agree that he should fluctuate according to the need of the situation and if situation demands he should go and open, other wise coming in the middle is not bad at all. But then we have a problem in the opening department. Assuming that youhana might join the team for the 2nd test, we have younis, inzi,youhana and akmal in the middle order coming at no:3, 4, 5 , and 6. Then we have razzak and akmal at 7 and 8 and then 3 bowlers. So where will we fit afridi? Either he has to come as an opener if we don't want to disturb no: 3, 4 ,5 and 6 positions and in that case we wont have the advanatge of afridi coming down the order or else some one has to open with salman, if afridi has to come down the order. That someone could be younis i guess. The point is with the 4 middle order batsmen and afridi in the side, we won't be having a natural opening pair in the side. Some one has to adjust his position always according to the situation.
              valid points indeed

how about kicking razaq out and nourishing afridi at that spot in test matches...in ODI, of course, razaq and afridi both will play.....

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixdesi
                valid points indeed

how about kicking razaq out and nourishing afridi at that spot in test matches...in ODI, of course, razaq and afridi both will play.....
                One possible solution is what you mentioned. That means we want to play with 2 proper openers. On the other hand keeping razzak out means that we will lose one bowling option and in the current situation we only can afford to do that when we know that there is a replacement. I personally think that they should try playing younis as an opener with the other opener.
                They should also give Shahis nazir a shot.
                Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

Working...
                X