Pakistan vs West Indies: 1st Test @ Barbados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan vs West Indies: 1st Test @ Barbados

With Inzimam ul Haq not in the playing XI, Pakistani batsmen will find it tough in 5 day format of the game. ODI was different, Pakistan's real challenge will be in tests.
    With Lara coming back and Gayle and tremendous form, it will be an evenly fought contest.

My team for tests

Salman Butt
    Yasir Hameed
    Younis Khan
    Yousuf Youhana
    Asim Kamal
    Shahid Afridi
    Abdul Razzaq
    Kamran Akmal
    Rana Naved ul Hasan
    Shabbir Ahmed
    Danish Kaneria

I have my doubts over Basit. One player shouldn't be a given a test berth based on his performance in just one ODI. I would rather stick with the experience of Yasir Hameed, as he deserves be there after good showing in the test series against India.

Opening with Afridi can be a gamble in test matches. As his early dissmisals can have a negative effect on our batsmen. In ODI's it's permissable because a fiery 30 or 40 can set a platform for the next 50 overs but in tests we have to bat much longer and quick score of 30 by Afridi won't make a huge difference.
    Sending Afridi in the lower order is the wise decision.

But knowing Pakistan cricket, we might see Basit making his test debut in the first test.

Its a difficult choice between Shabbir or Rao, both offer different dimensions of bowling. Rao Ifthiqar with his swing and Shabbir with his seam. Since Rana is already a good exponent of swing in the side, I went with Shabbir.

Re: Pakistan vs West Indies: 1st Test @ Barbados

The way Yasir Hamid has played in the lone chance he got in India and then yesterday's innings, it is better to give him some rest. Bazid was way better than Yasir. Who played yet again the stupidist shot ever, which he has played over and over again and got out on gizzillions of times.

I will go with either Malik or Bazid as test opener along with Butt. Atleast they can play 20 overs.

In bowling we have plenty of options mashallah. We will go with two leggies for sure as the pitches seem to support spinners. However we need to decide wheather we should go with three allrounders or not.

The biggest concern is the sixth authentic batsman in the absence of Inzi. Do you think Razzler,Afridi and Akmal combined fill the need of a sixth batsman?
    charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
    zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

Originally posted by smooth_guy
      The way Yasir Hamid has played in the lone chance he got in India and then yesterday's innings, it is better to give him some rest. Bazid was way better than Yasir. Who played yet again the stupidist shot ever, which he has played over and over again and got out on gizzillions of times.

I will go with either Malik or Bazid as test opener along with Butt. Atleast they can play 20 overs.

?
      ----------cvabn------------
      Agreed! and its about time that he should be aware of this. I mean its fine shine that you concentrate on you game and starr at the good length spot over and over again,,,but you should also know that its a OD match,, and you should not incur too many dot balls.

Malik can not play this test match. Bazid should be fine.
      *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
      Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

well i think we should stick with yasir. he performed really well against aussies. i just didnt understand why he was not given a chance against india in the test series. its so foolish somtimes of selectors to drop a player who just recenly peformed well ( at least better than other players and alot was expected from them but didnt deliver when mattered) and instead they were keen enough to keep taufiq at the top of order and he totally failed to say the least. so i would recommend yasir's inclusion as an opener ahead of Bazid, Malik, etc.

hmm Bazid should be given a chance, he did seem to lack foot work during his display in 3rd ODI but again at times he seemed very solid and played some nice strokes, looked very confident of his strokes, and i think he is probably a better test player in contarst to ODI. Lets hope he does well.

well Afridi is a MUST choice at this time of moment. this guy is just an amazing talent. he showed great commitment during test series in india. i think he is cruising on high confidence and it will be very dull of the selectors to drop him. you dont have to play him up at the order, may be play him down at #7, and as we know he can be really deadly with the bowl, can take crucial wickets, and obvioulsy he is been very active in the field. i wish him very best of luck.

rest all depends on how pak performs, i think they should plan out a startegy, dont have to do extra with the bat, just play normal cricket, especially players like YOYO, Malik, Yasir, etc seem to go hard at the ball early in their innings. as far as bowling department is concerned, i think rana and shabir can easily do the job, they both looked very fit and right at the target in their early spells. one main concern is their NO BALLS which needs to cut down, especially spinners need to make sure they dont over-step alot as was the case seen during ODIs.
        Last edited by Mohsin_; May 23, 2005, 01:41 PM.

Comment

since we are still struggling on deciding the opening pair in test matches, i say bazid should get a chance in the first test as an opener along with butt. You never know it might work for him and the team. Then there will be no problem of playing him in the side with inzi youhana, younis and kamal in the middle order. Plus he can't play in the side as a middle order batsman. Yasir is a good batsman and always remind of arvinda desilva, but the guy refuse to learn form his mistakes. He has this habit of throwing his wicket everytime. I am sure woolmer must have worked alot on him and if still he is not willing to learn than he should be punished.
          Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

bhole badshah miss the 1st test match through suspension, so does sialkotia for throwing a match for sialkot. i like ur team, except i would play bazid instead of either yasir hameed or salman butt. both salu and yas r not in gr8 touch.

Comment

. both salu and yas r not in gr8 touch. [/QUOTE]
              Salman butt not in great touch???
              What do you want from him bhai? I guess after a long time we have some one who looks to have temperament of an opener.

Comment

I believe Lara, Chandrapaul, gayle, and sarwan will smash pakistani bowling all over the place.
                " Judges give justice, not interviews" - Rana Bhagwandas, 21 March 2007.

Comment

^ Rephrase above sentnece and use 'I wish' rather than I 'believe'. :-p
                  The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

I would play Yaasir over Salman and Bazid. Yaasir is given one chance after being benched for ever and scores over 40... and is then benched again each time. While Salman can not seem to score more than 10 runs while batting with Afridi.

Comment

I look at this at two levels.

Firstly, we have our must-haves’ and not a lot of people would doubt that these players should be included in the team.
                      My level 1 team comprises of the following:
                      • Yoyo
                      • Younis
                      • Asim
                        (no-brainer batting options – these are the players we can expect to score a calm and big innings)
                      • Akmal
                        (guaranteed spot)
                      • Rana
                      • Shabbir
                        (our strike bowlers in the current lineup)
                      • Razzler (a useful all-rounder option given the circumstances… I’ve heard the pitches are pacer friendly ??)

Now this is where you get into looking at the selection rubric at level 2 – there are four slots to fill: 2 for the openers and 2 others who should probably give us some options in the spin dept.

For the openers, I don’t really have any qualms with Salman… he’s still maturing but he has showed competence quite a few times before to warrant his inclusion.
                      The actual choice is between Yasir and Bazid… I really like Yasir but my only reservation is that he gets out playing the same type of shots every single time - why the hell has he not learnt from his mistakes!!?? Just cuz of this one reason, I’m willing to give a chance to Bazid. I seriously don’t have any other opinion of Bazid… the last performance is not much to go by.

Now in the spin dept. I think Kaneria is pretty much in cuz of Inzi’s belief that he’s the trump when it comes to spin. Additionally, I’d include Afridi cuz of his ability to give us valuable breakthroughs via his bowling and his fielding, and on his day, we know what he can do to the opposition’s attack .

That leaves me with the following lineup:
                      1. Salman
                      2. Bazid
                      3. Yoyo
                      4. Younis
                      5. Kamal
                      6. Razzler
                      7. Afridi
                      8. Akmal
                      9. Rana
                      10. Shabbir
                      11. Kaneria
                      For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Aalsi
                        I believe Lara, Chandrapaul, gayle, and sarwan will smash pakistani bowling all over the place.
                        yeah just like pakistani batsmen smashed indian bowling all over the place in the previous ODI series against u ppl
                        Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by homer_j_simpson
                          yeah just like pakistani batsmen smashed indian bowling all over the place in the previous ODI series against u ppl
                          Aray aalsi bhai indian hain, i didn't know that. Yar barii kutt maree thee, bhooltee nahin wo kut jo afride nay lagiee thee. BTW aap nay kyaa us series kay baad india chhor dya kyaa jo WI kee side lay rhay hain.
                          Last edited by Sohaib; May 23, 2005, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Umar Talib
                            I look at this at two levels.

That leaves me with the following lineup:
                            1. Salman
                            2. Bazid
                            3. Yoyo
                            4. Younis
                            5. Kamal
                            6. Razzler
                            7. Afridi
                            8. Akmal
                            9. Rana
                            10. Shabbir
                            11. Kaneria
                            hmm looks like a strong lineup umar bhai...hope we win test series inshaallah
                            Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Comment

If Razzaq-Youhana incedent don't happen again, Pakistan will inshallah win.

Comment

Working...
                              X