Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umpire Shepherd set to retire!

Umpire Shepherd set to stand down

Long-serving umpire David Shepherd is to retire at the end of the summer.
    Shepherd, one of the game's most colourful characters, will be 65 in December and has decided 24 years as a match official is enough.

He was a Gloucestershire batsman for 14 years before joining the umpire's list and has stood in 90 Tests and a record 165 one-day internationals.

"I have enjoyed a wonderful career and it has been a very difficult decision to leave a job I love," he said.

"I seriously believe, however, that it is better to go at five to nine rather than five past."

Shepherd's last Test will be the second match between West Indies and Pakistan in Jamaica next month.

And his final international match will be a one-dayers between England and Australia at The Oval on 12 July.

The International Cricket Council has decided not to replace him on their elite panel of umpires which will reduce in size to seven from August until April 2006.

Shepherd will finally bow out in familiar surroundings on 25 September when Gloucestershire take on Glamorgan.

He told BBC Sport: "It will be really nice to end my career why it all began in Bristol."

Shepherd has been English cricket's leading umpire since the retirement of Harold 'Dickie' Bird in 1998 and includes standing in three successive World Cup finals among his career highlights.

But he is perhaps best known t spectators for his superstitious observance of 'Nelson' - all multiples of 111 - which involves him in hopping from foot to foot until the score moves on.

International Cricket Council chief executive Malcolm Speed paid tribute to Shepherd.

"He has consistently been one of our sport's top officials for over two decades," he said.

"His astute decision-making and cheerful manner earned him the respect of players throughout the cricket world and he will deservedly be remembered as one of our sport's greatest ever umpires."

Re: Umpire Shepherd set to retire!

Allah tera shukar hai. buss last test khair khairiyat se guzar jaaye!
    The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

I think he was a good umpire till early 2000s or so then his eyesight start to cheat him or he started to cheat us .

Comment

Originally posted by Captain1
        then his eyesight start to cheat him or he started to cheat us .
        Must be selective cheating by his eyes, then.

He is pretty colorful and generally keeps a jolly attitude on the field which is wonderful. There should be more umpires like him, who are not so full of themselves and consider players as human beings and not subjects.
        "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

well lets hope that he won't give dubious decisions against pak in his last match. umpiring against pak brings out the worst in him. good luck pakistan

Comment

do u think he will raise both feet on nelson in his last match?. I don't think he will...he doesn't give a damn anymore.

Comment

shuker hey ALlah ....Inzi must be distributing mathaaiaan
              Jism bhi aur jaan bhi nahin

Ragoon kai andheroon ko, insaf chahiya
              Ranjish-e-khoon ko bhi, makan chahiya

Comment

I liked his fatherly figure among the 14s on the field. He dropped the ball on few occasions that costed heavlly. But hey,,no ones perfect. right ?
                *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
                Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

he should've stuck around until he stood in 100 tests, anyhow he was a good umpire but lately he has been making alot of mistakes especially on lbw's. he needs tips from mr. rudi koertzen, a class act still @ his age.

Comment

This should ruin the plans of whoever was to play Pakistan in the future with Shephart umpiring....
                    "Mai baap Amreeka has decided to breakup Pakistan, MQM will support Amreeka and I will not stop killing pukhtoons" - Pir Altaf Bhaggorra of Landan...

Comment

Allah tera shukhar hay. One down and one more to go, I am talking about the joker billi bowden, although we will have to wait several years for that. I hope he doesn't accompany shepeherd in Jamaica test for the grand finale.
                      Incompetent Clueless Clowns: ICC

Comment

Chalo Yaar QhasKam Jahan Pak
                        Main Kabhi Batlata Nahin
                        Par Andhere Se Darta Hoon Main Maa
                        Tujhe Sab Hain Pata,Meri Maa

Comment

Working...
                        X