Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favourite era of Test Cricket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favourite era of Test Cricket?

What would you choose as your favourite era of Test cricket?

I can only have 5 options, so I have tried to split the last
    126 years into 5 groups, taking into account that no Test
    cricket was played during either WW1 or World War 2.

As well as voting, I would like to know the reasons why you chose your particular era as well!

1877-1914
    1918-1939
    1946-1969
    1970-1985
    1986-2002
    Main Kabhi Batlata Nahin
    Par Andhere Se Darta Hoon Main Maa
    Tujhe Sab Hain Pata,Meri Maa

Re: What is your favourite era of Test Cricket?

If you want to start a poll PM me your question and options and I will start it for you.

Comment

I don't know how exciting cricket was before 1970s but after 70s we had players like Zaheer Abbas, Imran Khan, Sarfaraz Nawaz, Miandad, Dennis Lillee, Hadlee, Malcom Marshal, Viv Richards, Lara, Wasim, Waqar list goes on and on.... For me its hard to decide between 70-85 and 86-02.

Comment

As a Pakistani supporter, my favorite era in test cricket will start from Imran's captaincy (circa 1982) and end in 1992 (British tour after WC). For the simple reason that with him incharge you didn't feel that the team is cheating its fans by betting, satta, nakhray, general indiscipline; and the best part was that the team was aiming to win against everyone and anyone they were playing.

The teams of other countries can go drown themselves.. what do I care!
        "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

^ yaar aap ne to King Richards, Malcom, Hadlee, Gavaskar ko bilkul bhee ghaas nahi daali thori bohot to izzat de dete

Comment

I am not sure about your breakdown of eras but I started watching (or remember) from India's tour to Pakistan in I believe 1981-82. Although, it was love at first sight for me, I really started to understand and enjoy cricket after Miandad's six in Sharjah. That to me changed the way I watched cricket. Before, it was every now and then, whenever I had nothing else to watch... those moments were plenty considering PTV only had one channel in those days.

Then I took a break from cricket in 1988 and only checked back for World Cups and Pakistan's tours abroad. Didn't really give a damn about the home series.

So, for me it has to be 1980s. The likes of Miandad, Zaheer, Imran, Abdul Qadir, Viv, Botham, Gower, Garner, Greenidge, Hadlee, Crowe, Lillee, G Chappel, Kim Hughes, et al.

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan
              If you want to start a poll PM me your question and options and I will start it for you.
              Yes bro i want to start poll

What would you choose as your favourite era of Test cricket?

I can only have 5 options, so I have tried to split the last
              126 years into 5 groups, taking into account that no Test
              cricket was played during either WW1 or World War 2.

As well as voting, I would like to know the reasons why you chose your particular era as well!

1877-1914
              1918-1939
              1946-1969
              1970-1985
              1986-2002
              Main Kabhi Batlata Nahin
              Par Andhere Se Darta Hoon Main Maa
              Tujhe Sab Hain Pata,Meri Maa

Comment

Originally posted by Captain1
                I don't know how exciting cricket was before 1970s but after 70s we had players like Zaheer Abbas, Imran Khan, Sarfaraz Nawaz, Miandad, Dennis Lillee, Hadlee, Malcom Marshal, Viv Richards, Lara, Wasim, Waqar list goes on and on.... For me its hard to decide between 70-85 and 86-02.

If you are talking about cricket for the purist and connoisseur, then 70-85 is unbeatable.

86-02 are important only from a Pakistan perspective, but that is misleading because we will never again see the likes of Wasim and Waqar opening the bowling. Neither will any other country have a similar duo for that matter.

Comment

^ 86-02 contained players like king Viv Richards, Richardson, Desmond Haynes, Waugh bros, Courtney Walsh, Curtley Ambrose, Javagal Srinath (j/k ), Brian Lara, Inzamam, Martin Crowe etc... so you just can't say 86-02 was not as much important for rest of the world.

Comment

1877-1914.......that is the only period i love to watch...oh man i love that period......1877 to 1914.......i have so many golden memories of that period...........oh God i miss 1877 to 1914 so much.....

Comment

1877-1914 those were the days u can go to the grounds and relax and watch the game in peace god i miss the good old days

Comment

Dapakiguy there is some problem in trying to start a poll.

For me the era of 1970-85 has got to be the best. The players of that era were awesome.

Australians had players like Lillie, Thomson, Walker, Walters, the Chappel brothers, Border.

India had Gavaskar, Viswanath, Vengsarakar, Kapil, Bedi, Chandrashekar and Parsanna.

Pakistan had Imran, Majid, Miandad, Zaheer, Sarfraz, Qadir (Akram also made his debut during this era in 1984/85)

The whole of the WI team was awesome

England had Boycott, Gower, Botham, Willis and Snow.

Also this era saw four genuine all rounders, Imran, Botham, Kapil Dev and Richard Hadlee.

The art of leg spin was revived by Qadir during this era.

The best era we have had.

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan
                          Dapakiguy there is some problem in trying to start a poll.

For me the era of 1970-85 has got to be the best. The players of that era were awesome.

Australians had players like Lillie, Thomson, Walker, Walters, the Chappel brothers, Border.

India had Gavaskar, Viswanath, Vengsarakar, Kapil, Bedi, Chandrashekar and Parsanna.

Pakistan had Imran, Majid, Miandad, Zaheer, Sarfraz, Qadir (Akram also made his debut during this era in 1984/85)

The whole of the WI team was awesome

England had Boycott, Gower, Botham, Willis and Snow.

Also this era saw four genuine all rounders, Imran, Botham, Kapil Dev and Richard Hadlee.

The art of leg spin was revived by Qadir during this era.

The best era we have had.

^ Hence I said that for the purist, this was the best era.

Comment

no it was 1877-1914..........

Comment

editing posts is not that easy anymore....
                              Last edited by phoenixdesi; May 14, 2005, 11:55 AM. Reason: no reason

Comment

Working...
                              X