Kamran Abbasi writes for KK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamran Abbasi writes for KK

Dr. Kamran Abbasi, the highly respected cricket writer and Deputy Editor of the British Medical Journal has kindly agreed to contribute an article exclusively for KK to set the scene for the upcoming ODI series starting tomorrow.

We at GS are proud that Kamran has taken time from his very busy schedule to contribute this article for our guppies. We hope all of you enjoy it and like to take this opportunity to thank Kamran for his contribution.

Why Pakistan should win

Kamran Abbasi
    12 March, 2004

Little known fact: apart from no Test wins, India has only won three one-day internationals against Pakistan in Pakistan. Not a record that predicts great success. Might this tour be different? India’s batting has not been so strong since the middle 1980s, Sourav Ganguly’s team boasts a clutch of genuine fast bowlers, and Pakistan has learned how to lose at home—a rare phenomenon until the end of the last century. This will be a tough one-day series for both teams—no other contest in cricket history has attracted such global and local interest—but I expect Pakistan to prevail. Here’s why:

1 India’s batting is glorious, perhaps the best in the world—in Test cricket. But the wondrous lustre of these regal batsmen blinds India’s selectors to a fatal weakness. One-day cricket is designed for innovation and unorthodoxy, particularly in batsmanship and particularly on batting wickets—which, whatever the noises from PCB and groundsman Andy Atkinson, are what to expect for this series. Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, and even Sachin Tendulkar—now that he has lost his dash—are simply too orthodox to break the shackles in the middle of an Indian innings.

On a decent batting track even a Shahid Afridi, Imran Nazir, or Abdul Razzaq can outperform the most highly acclaimed batsman in the world, especially in a 10 over burst of ballistic hitting. Virender Sehwag, Ganguly, and Yuvraj Singh may match Pakistan’s hitters, but Ganguly will struggle against Pakistan’s fast men, which leaves too little blasting power on India’s side.

2 India’s bowling is as green as its batting is golden. Success has come against Pakistan historically through canny medium-pacers frustrating Pakistan’s batsmen and high-class spin bowlers. This Indian one-day squad possesses neither of these components. The reputation of India’s fast men is built on one-day victories under lights and helpful conditions. Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, and Irfan Pathan have potential but in truth they are untested. Too much is being made of them too early without enough evidence of their class. I guess that this inflated reputation and weight of expectation will be their undoing.

And, unfortunately this Indian squad does not include an international quality spinner to speak of, other than Sachin if he put his mind to it. A failing of Indian cricket has been an unrealistic appraisal of its bowling might. A fair measure of honest self-judgement and insight would probably produce better results for India, but that is unlikely to happen with the truly unprecedented hype surrounding this series.

3 Shoaib Akhtar—if fit.

Yet, two factors could find me eating my words. First, the two day-night matches will give India’s bowlers a sniff of a chance swinging the ball under lights. Second, is the unknown fix factor. We delude ourselves if we believe that Indian and Pakistani players have been falsely accused over the last two decades. Let’s hope that what we see is what we get—and if that is the case Pakistan should continue their home dominance over India, despite Mr Ganguly’s disregard for history.

Comment

May we ask Mr Abbasi to read through one of our threads and write an article on the interaction that goes on here?. It would be fun.

Comment

Nice Article but obviuosly being a busy person he could not go into details. But yeah Funguy's idea should be tried
        The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

Good Job Ehsan Bhai, and thank You Mr. Kamran Abbassi.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by funguy:
            May we ask Mr Abbasi to read through one of our threads and write an article on the interaction that goes on here?. It would be fun.
            except the miandad thread hopefully
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraudz:
              Good Job Ehsan Bhai, and thank You Mr. Kamran Abbassi.
              oh bhai, aik 's' hay.

tu vee naa, C* hee niklaya

Comment

okay point taken, i just had the persian spelling thing going..

Thank You Mr. Kamran Abbasi

Comment

well thankx for finally introducing me to other guppies ehsan bhi, Lakin Mera Naam Abbas Hai Abbasi Nahi

Funguy Yaar Main Tumhrey PM Key Intazzaaar Main Soukh Geya Houn.

Comment

I totally agree with this article word by work.Well written.
                    Its 5-0-1 in worldcup.
                    Its good to be world champions again.
                    And we though Aussies were invincible.

Comment

Good view Abbas ,
                      Perhaps you can shed some light on Indian batting strength.
                      I personaly feel that there are no fire workd about it only that so far it has proven it self to weak bowling attacks of England/NZealand and on recent tour of Austrailia to their under strentgh bowling attack..plzz
                      like to hear your views on this ...
                      Tks this was cheltay cheltay..
                      *~*~* Thread-napper*~*~*
                      Down loading, Please wait ,,,,,,,Your Thread is being shredded into bits !

Comment

Thank you Ehsan bhai for this service. It will be a treat to see such a reknowned writer writing for Guppies.

Thanks Mr. Kamran.
                        charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
                        zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

^^ In adding to that, its a nice little achievement for GS to get the services of a renowned writer. Thanks Kamran for your views!
                          The will of Allah will not take you where the Grace of Allah will not protect you.

Comment

Dr. Abbasi is the foremost cricket writer in the world, IMHO. I read all his articles very religiously. Ehsan bhai and I would like to thank him for taking the time to writing a little something for our members.

Also, thank you Ehsan bhai for arranging this wonderful treat for us all.

Comment

Thanx for your time sir. Nicely written. And thanx ehsan for bringing it to us.

Comment

Working...
                              X