Cotton in Shudh Hindi / Sanskrit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton in Shudh Hindi / Sanskrit?

Anyone knows Sanskrit of cotton? Reason for such name?
    We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Re: Cotton in Shudh Hindi / Sanskrit?

I think it is kapaas, which was taken by arabs and named quttun and western people called it cotton. Cotton originated here so i guess the name got carried to an extent.
    Tu bhi villain ban sakta tha, "BILLA" ban sakta tha.....

Comment

Originally posted by kaka_in_usa View Post
      I think it is kapaas, which was taken by arabs and named quttun and western people called it cotton. Cotton originated here so i guess the name got carried to an extent.
      but cotton was there in sub-continent way before Arab arrival.. Greeks saw it first time here and one of the Greek historian expressed his astonishment in words ' there is this strange plant grown there with silver flowers'. In ancient Egypt cotton was not known as qutn, it was called Sindh s bulk was imported from Indus valley. Probably that is why some historian believe that the original sanskrit word for cotton was Sind.

The Arabic word qutn is also seems to be derived from Sanskrit Karpasa. The Greek word Karpasos and the Latin term Carbasus have evidently been derived from Sanskrit.

here is interesting article about the names that were derived from karpasa.

the-south-asian
      We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

Cotton is commonly known as Karpaas or Kukuti in Sanskrit. Qutn seems to be more close to Kukuti than Karpaas...

Comment

Working...
        X