Pakistani Cultural Traditions......dos and don't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistani Cultural Traditions......dos and don't

when you enter a pakistani family's house what are the dos and don'ts of good conduct?
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 8:7

Re: Pakistani Cultural Traditions......dos and don't

I would say the general ettiquete is no different than entering the house of any other host in a civilised setting.

Offcourse in religious homes observing the Purdah and other obvious things go without saying but again there are different rules for different age groups and sexes.

Definately one of the Do's I would put down especially on first meetings is to be patient and listen to others no matter what they say. Also consider your replies carefully and try and keep an even tone.

Naturally Nisha25 I am sure you will be welcome in any home so just be yourself and obviously respect is the big thing even if you make a mistake if you act with respect and apologise then theres no problem but if you have a bad attitude then you will find it hard from the start.

Everyone knows "Jaws" was Chuck Norris's Goldfish, but not many folk know that "Godzilla" was Faris Udeen's pet Iguana.

Comment

right faris bhai but of course in terms of clothes i dress conservatively regardless of where i am but what i was wondering was do pakistanis still do the salaam hand gesture or is it only in formal settings or only done for elders and taking the shoes off since shoes are dirty and i wouldn't want to track dirt all over people's nice clean carpet, I meant stuff like that

gosh sirji why would i have a bad attitude, i think if people have a bad attitude it ain't good regardless of what home you go into right?
      Last edited by Nisha25; Nov 18, 2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Again it depends on the type of person and thier personal attitudes.

As stricter Muslim we dont shake hands with even Muslim females in our household as its not considered right. Offcourse women are okay to shake hands and hug each other but not the blokes. Likewise we actually have separate quarters for ladies with a sperate entrance and so its not like some places where both men and women use the same entrance and exit points. As for shoes it depends in my home most of the floor is pretty spartan so you can pretty much go anywhere wth shoes except the Eastern Prayer chamber which is the only room with any carpet and there you have to take your shoes off becuase its like a small prayer room. But aside to that it does depend on the personal values and customs of the people you visit some do not insist on you removing shoes at the door while others do.

Ussually the only reason your made to take of shoes is either to keep the carpet clean or to keep them out of the prayer area.
        Everyone knows "Jaws" was Chuck Norris's Goldfish, but not many folk know that "Godzilla" was Faris Udeen's pet Iguana.

Comment

i was just wondering b/c when i entered the home of my burmese muslim friend's house all the guests did remove their shoes, I know it's not a religious thing for them and it would be a personal thing but what about the 'salaam', i'm usually informal with my muslim friends, don't usually do the salaam but with elders it's proper to do a salaam auntie ji right? i think it's just safe to do the salaam whether they personally prefer it or not......

and i guess in pakistan just like other south asian countries, the younger generation still says auntie ji and uncle ji or are they called by other names in pakland?

bear in mind i am an abcd hence my ignorance

Comment

Yes the salaam is a universal Muslim greeting and Unlce and Auntie are still the words to use for elders. I cant see there being any reason for someone to get annoyed although some people these days dont like to be called Auntie or Uncle because they think it might enfer that you think they are old.

But seriously I'm sure its common sense mostly and you will be fine.

You certainly come across as someone who is sensitive towards this sort of thing and is willing to respect and understand culture... so on atitude alone you've got browny points. If you were a real barbarian they wouldn't invte you in the first place.... which is why I never get anywhere.

Comment

cool so i think i'll just stick with "bhai" for every desi man

brownie points are always good thanks.....any other input would be great

Comment

Working...
              X