Arabic calligraphy for beginners ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arabic calligraphy for beginners ..

though i m not a good calligrapher but here i want to share the styles, rules and samples. now the start is with...

MAJOR STYLES OF ARABIC CALLIGRAPHY

THULTH

Thuluth was the medieval Islamic style of handwritten alphabet. Thuluth (Arabic: "one-third") is written on the principle that one-third of each letter slopes. It is a large and elegant, cursive script, used in medieval times on mosque decorations. It took on some of the functions of the early Kufic script; it was used to write surah headings, religious inscriptions, and princely titles and epigraphs.

NASKH
    Naskh, which means "copying," was developed in the 10th century, and refined into a fine art form in Turkey in the 16th century. Since then it became generally accepted for writing the Quran. Naskh is legible and clear and was adapted as the preferred style for typesetting and printing. It is a small script whose lines are thin and letter shapes are round.

DIWANI
    The Diwani script is a cursive style of Arabic calligraphy developed during the reign of the early Ottoman Turks (16th-early 17th century). It was invented by Housam Roumi and reached its height of popularity under Süleyman I the Magnificent (1520-66). As decorative as it was communicative, Diwani was distinguished by the complexity of the line within the letter and the close juxtaposition of the letters within the word.

A variation of the Diwani, the Diwani Al Jali, is characterized by its abundance of diactical and ornamental marks.

The Ta'liq / Nasta'liq / Farsi Scripts

Ta'liq is a cursive style of lettering developed in Iran in the 10th century. It is thought to have been the creation of Hasan ibn Husain Ali of Fars, but, because Khawaja Abdul Mali Buk made such vast improvements, the invention is often attributed to him. The rounded forms and exaggerated horizontal strokes that characterize the Ta'liq letters were derived primarily from the Riqa' script. The ornateness and sloping quality of the written line had roots in the Towqi script of Ibn Muqla (died 940). Designed specifically to meet the needs of the Persian language, Ta'liq was used widely for royal as well as daily correspondence until the 14th century, when it was replaced by Nasta'liq.
    Nasta'liq was the predominant style of Persian calligraphy during the 15th and 16th centuries. The inventor was Mir 'Ali of Tabriz, the most famous calligrapher of the Timurid period (1402-1502). A cursive script, Nasta'liq was a combination of the Naskh and Ta'liq styles, featuring elongated horizontal strokes and exaggerated rounded forms. The diacritical marks were casually placed, and the lines were flowing rather than straight. Nasta'liq was frequently incorporated into the paintings of the early Safavid period (16th century) and is traditionally considered to be the most elegant of the Persian scripts.
    Today, there are around 10 styles of this script being practiced world-wide. But the most delicated form of this style is developed in Sub-continent. At the end of 19th century, Persian style was the most popular style of Nasta'liq in india but within next 30 years, there were three new styles evolved from it. First of them is Nasta'liq Lakhnawi (Developed in Lakhnau, India), Second is Dehelwi (Developed in Delhi, India) and third is Nasta'liq Lahori (Developed in Lahore, Pakistan).

KUFIC
    Kufic script, a heavy monumental Arabic script suited to stone carving, appears in the earliest surviving Koran manuscripts. In these, the diacritical marks over the letters are sometimes painted in red, and the gold decorations between suras contrast handsomely with the heavy black script. In the Seljuk period, a more cursive flowing script, Naskhi, developed.

stay with RKS there is many more about the rules of all these styles, n i hope it would help all arabic calligraphy lovers.

and plz feel free to add anything from u.
    thanx

- fazeelat
    Last edited by fazeelat; Nov 25, 2008, 01:06 PM.
    mein jo ser- ba -sajda hui kabhi to zamee'n sy aaney lagi sada
    tera dil to hy sanam aashna, tujhy kiya milay ga namaz mey

BASIC GEOMETRICAL RULES:

Three elements are the basis of proportion in Arabic Calligraphy:

The height of the alif, which is a straight and vertical stroke (3-12) dots.

The width of the alif, (the dot) which is the square impression formed by pressing the tip of the calligrapher's reed pen to paper.

An imaginary circle with alif as its diameter, within which all Arabic letters
    could fit and be written.
    Last edited by fazeelat; Nov 23, 2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Re: Arabic calligraphy for beginners ..

Comment

THULTH/SULUS STYLE ALPHABETS:

Last edited by fazeelat; Nov 25, 2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Hmmm.. nice thread... looking forward to more samples
          May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
          Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
          Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

yea can u give examples with the rules

Comment

fazeelat, could you please first tell us what tools,inks (indian or Lisa graphic colors), paper should we use? and where we can get them from? and their respective pricing.

soon i will start doing it on parchment, lets see how it gonna go...thanks for opening this thread.
              "There are two rules for ultimate success in life: #1. Never tell everything you know." ;)

Comment

yeah can u plz explain it more?
                stop annoying me.ok?

Comment

Originally posted by lifeless View Post
                  yea can u give examples with the rules
                  first i said about "dots" these dots r called Qats(single,QAT) in correct terminology,now in the the alphabets u will c the word qat that means dots with a QAlam.i said about the height of alif u can see in this pic:

and i talk abt the circle that u would c in mostly drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by zobia View Post
                    fazeelat, could you please first tell us what tools,inks (indian or Lisa graphic colors), paper should we use? and where we can get them from? and their respective pricing.

soon i will start doing it on parchment, lets see how it gonna go...thanks for opening this thread.

honestly speaking i startd my practice with a simple desi reed pen (qalam) n the dried black ink that is used to write on takhtti.dont use ink pen calligraphy set they r fazool i think so my preference is qalam.it is more cheaper n more better for writing.

later on i used parchment n vellum paper though it is not commonly found in Pakistan, lahore (they even dont know abt it) so i bought it frm US, Michigan Blick Art Materials u can visit Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials.

for ink i use indian ink and printing ink these inks r easy available in Pakistan n much better than our desi dried black ink for takhti.

it is recommended to use takhti for beautiful writing but u can also use very smooth fine paper for proper flow of ink/color.

initially u can start on line paper.

Comment

Comment

^now in the above pics u can c the circle n u have to b careful about Qats(dots or smal circles).

at the end of each style i would combine its all alphabets. so u ppl can get it at one glance

Comment

Comment

Comment

stop annoying me.ok?

Comment

Working...
                              X