This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you reading?

Try reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Setting aside the controversies associated with the book, it is a definitely a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
      Yes - not ashamed to admit it moved me to tears! Great writer. Of coourse you must have read the Kite Runner also
      Originally posted by johnbriner View Post
      Try reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Setting aside the controversies associated with the book, it is a definitely a good read.
      Agreed. Amazing writer.
      Keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

Comment

I'm reading " Dunya Key Namwawr Shakhsiat kay Mua'shaqay "
        No Sindhi No Balochi,No Muhajir No Pathan, No Punjabi No Saraiki
        I...AM...ONLY...PAKISTANI
        P A K I S T A N
        ............Z I N D A B A D

Comment

^ sounds like 'Parliament se Bazar e Husn Tak'. Masala books
          We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Sannan View Post
            I'm reading " Dunya Key Namwawr Shakhsiat kay Mua'shaqay "
            very predictable

Comment

Originally posted by muqawwee123 View Post
              ^ sounds like 'Parliament se Bazar e Husn Tak'. Masala books
              I've read both parts of 'Parliament se Bazar e Husn Tak' but above one is entirely different and don't have any Pakistani Politicians there ...
              No Sindhi No Balochi,No Muhajir No Pathan, No Punjabi No Saraiki
              I...AM...ONLY...PAKISTANI
              P A K I S T A N
              ............Z I N D A B A D

Comment

^ It means Pakistan didn't produce famous mu'aashiqe. Give some names covered in that book
                We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

Just finished reading an interesting autobiography of the Channel 4 Journalist and recent newsreader John Snow.
                  Everyone knows "Jaws" was Chuck Norris's Goldfish, but not many folk know that "Godzilla" was Faris Udeen's pet Iguana.

Comment

Originally posted by Faris Udeen View Post
                    Just finished reading an interesting autobiography of the Channel 4 Journalist and recent newsreader John Snow.
                    Any interesting titbits you'd like to share? I have a huge crush on him, something about the jaunty nature of his ties.

Comment

Originally posted by hanie View Post
                      I got this book as a gift from a colleague
                      its called "What the body remembers" by Shauna Singh Baldwin

intro:
                      Out of the rich culture of India and the brutal drama of the 1947 Partition comes this lush and eloquent debut novel about two women married to the same man.
                      Roop is a young girl whose mother has died and whose father is deep in debt. So
                      she is elated to learn she is to become the second wife of a wealthy Sikh landowner in a union beneficial to both. For Sardaji's first wife, Satya, has failed to bear him children. Roop believes that she and Satya, still very much in residence, will be friends. But the relationship between the older and younger woman is far more complex. And, as India lurches toward independence, Sardarji struggles to find his place amidst the drastic changes.
                      Meticulously researched and beautifully written, What the Body Remembers is at once poetic, political, feminist, and sensual.
                      It sounds almost identical 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Hosseini! It's going in my 'to-read' list, thank you!
                      Bohat changee Chaval Maar Lende ho tusi

Comment

Originally posted by el topo View Post
                        Any interesting titbits you'd like to share? I have a huge crush on him, something about the jaunty nature of his ties.
                        Me too!!! Jon Snow is a legend! His socks are pretty cool too.
                        OMG Paki!

Comment

I just read "Beautiful" by Katie Piper, about a girl in the UK that got acid thrown in her face by someone her jealous boyfriend paid to do so, just goes to show that these sort of crimes can happen anywhere in the world, yet Pakistan etc gets demonised for it.

Comment

Originally posted by el topo View Post

Originally posted by Milly View Post
                            Me too!!! Jon Snow is a legend! His socks are pretty cool too.

Well among some of the interesting titbits are that actually contrary to his own rather left wing and free thinking self views his fammily upbringing was in the heart of British right Wing conservatists. One of the educational establishments he attended had been the smae college that men like Douglas Bader and Kitchener had attended.

At an early age however he became fascinated with labour.

Also he was detained several times in his life for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and some of the sights he has seen are truly unbelievable. The man really is a legend for some of the hair rasing adventures he has had. Among them the last days of the Vietnam war when he was held on charges of people smuggling.

A meeting with South American rebel groups famed for thier extreme brutality and the fact that he actaully came out alive after such deadly encounters all go to show he is one very lucky man. And without doubt my favourite British reporter to boot.

John Snow's autobiography is avaliable in most leading bookstores in the UK and is a brillaint look into the dark seldom sought out corners of the World... revealing some serious stuff. The book is not just a dull story of a man adventures though it is crammed pack with witty remarks and at times hillarious views of the author which give a very in depth view to his persona.
                            Everyone knows "Jaws" was Chuck Norris's Goldfish, but not many folk know that "Godzilla" was Faris Udeen's pet Iguana.

Comment

cook book
                              :crying:

Comment

Faris, thank you. I didn't know about the people smuggling charges. I think I likes him even more now.
                                Milly, I'll keep watch for his socks the next time he does the perching on the desk pose!

Comment

Working...
                                X