desi science fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desi science fiction

have there been any sci fi books written in the sub continent. I know we have a fantasy epics dastan e ameer hamza but I would be interested in finding out more.

rustum and sohrab stuff is that adapted from persian or is it a local work?

rustam and suhrab? aren't those brand names for fans in pakistan?

Comment

What about "Aynak Wala Jin" "Ghost with glasses".....

Comment

Well we do have a lot of James Bond type fiction where you have all the snazzy gadgets and stuff.

I am sure that doesnt count here.

------------------
        ICBM Target Coords: 27.500S, 153.017E

Comment

Originally posted by mbmagsi:
          What about "Aynak Wala Jin" "Ghost with glasses".....
          for yer info jin translates to Ginnie!!!

------------------
          "The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life. Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat."

Comment

How about Imran Series???

And there are "Digests" published about nearly every topic.

Give me some time, I will find out for you!
            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Imran series borders on some sci fi, but is mostly action/thriller genre.

Haya rustum and sohrab is a famous eipc.

Jin and all is less sci fi and more fantasy, kinda like lord of the rings.

Is there anything similar to asimov's work.

Comment

Originally posted by X Factor:

Is there anything similar to asimov's work.
                He was the supreme master of Sci-Fi

------------------
                "One who slays monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes long back at you"

Comment

jayant narlikar tried something in marathi. there is also another author, who is not a renowned scientist like narlikar, but a better writer, i forgot his name. it has a market. people read it. but surprisingly, not many people write.

malyalam has a lot of literature on science but i donno what is situation about fiction.

Comment

Narlikar wrote some decent SF stuff in english too, (mostly dealing with astronomy, space etc), but its probably most suited for the under 18 reader. Have you read Timpa's adventures? Some of them could easily count as SF. I cant believe i dont remember the author's name! If i am not mistaken, it was a bengali guy. Some of Satyajit Ray's short stories could qualify as SF too.

Malayalam does have some SF, but once again, aimed at the young reader. I forgot the author (he was a scientist too), gopi something, he wrote an amazing series about a set of twin brothers who are kidnapped and then transformed into the bodies of monkeys by an outlaw researcher. His works had a very factual texture to it that you find only among the very best of SF. You can find quite a few writings in malayalam on the lines of A.C.Clarke (more facts, less fiction), but when it comes to the really imaginative (more like bizzare) genres of SF, there is a big vaccuum.
                    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X