Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beauty of classical Urdu language.

Adaab!
    the following dialogue from the film mughal e azam is a great illustration of classical urdu's beauty when spoken:

Sadaa kanindah: hukm huwa hai ke Anarkali divan-e-khaas mein haazir ho!
    AKbar-e-Azam: humein yakin hai ke qaidkhanay ke khawfnaak andheroN ne teri aarzoo'on mein woh chamak baqi na rakkhee hogi jo kabhi thi!
    Anarkali: Qaidkhanay ke andhere kaneez ki aarzoo'on ki roshni se kam thay!
    AK: andhere aur baRhaa diya jaayeinge!
    An: aarzu'ein aur baRh jaayeingee!
    AK; Aur baRhti huwee aarzu'on ko kuchal diya jaayega!
    An: aur zill e ilahi ka insaaf?
    Ak: Hum ik lafz sun-na nahin chahitay! Akbar ka insaaf uska hukm hai! Tujhe Salim ko bhoolna hoga!
    An: Bhoolna hoga?
    Ak: Yaqeenan! Aur sirf itna hi nahin! Usse yeh bhi yaqeen dilana hoga ke tujhe us se kabhi muhabbat nahin thi!
    An: Jo zabaan unke saamne muhabbat ka iqraar tak na kar saki ho woh inkaar kaisay karegee?
    Ak:
    tujhe Salim paR ZAHIR KARNA HOGA KE TERI MUHABBAT JHOOTI THI. ik kaneez ne hindustan ke malika banne ki aarzu ki aur muhabbat ka khoobsurat bahana dhoond liya!
    An: yeh sach nahin hai! Khuda gawah hai yeh sach nahin hai! Yeh sach nahin hai...
    Ak: Lekin tujhe sabit karna hoga ke YEHI sach hai!
    An: Parwardigar mujhe itni himmat atta farmaa ke main sahib e aalam se baywafai kar sakoon. kaneez zill e ilaahi ka hukm bajaa laane ki koshish karegi!
    Ak: Koshish nahin taameel hogi! Isse azaad kardiya jaaye!!
    ------from Mughal e Azam!

aap sahib kya kehte hain?

yeh bunda haQeer-pur-taQseer kia arrz kaeray janab...aik aik hurf, aik aik lafaz youn racha bassa hai aik dosray mein jaise ghulabon mein rung, kaliyoun mein khushboo...

wah hazrat, kia baat hai apni urdu ki...iska shohra to saray alam mein...jis simt bhi jain..fizain iski mehak se rachi hein...

adaab...

DerVaisH

------------------
    muhabatein theen kabhi apne dermian kitni...
    bicha gaye hai anna hum mein doorian kitni...
    abhi to toota hai dil hi teri judai mein...
    girein gi hum pe abhi aur bijlian kitni...

Comment

People of Pakistan, please keep Urdu Alive.

India main to Hinglish na sub zubaano ka gala ghot diya hai. Lucknow main to akhari Urdu paper kub ka bund ho chuka hai.

The biggest culprit is Bollywood. No more Urdu movies.

[This message has been edited by Tanhaa (edited August 26, 2001).]

Comment

Its a beautiful language no doubt..."par Asif ji aap tore se "over" nahi ho rahe...kiya urdu mari hai mene"

------------------
        "kaisay na karta usko main pyar, uski haseen main sukh thay hazaar, bichar gayay hum dukh ki hay baat"
        Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

It's elegant, sophisticated, vibrant and descriptive in the most detailed way. How eternally beautiful a language it is!

To be able to experience it's beauty is enough reason for anyone to learn it.

The passage above made me wanna watch the movie again!

Comment

Ali bhai kya Urdu maari hai aap ne!!

Muzna ji--aap ne bajaa farmaaya...it is a most beautiful and elegant and polite language. Can you imagine such a powerful confrontation as the one i wrote down from Mughal e Azam being so polite in any other language [apart from Arabic and Farsi]?!

Tanhaa--you are right. But I thought there were governmental level efforts to revive Urdu in India? Agar Lakhnaw hi mein Urdu na rehe tau afsos, sadd afsos...aamad e aaftaab, daleel e aaftaab...

I remember reading a book on Pakistan by an American female journalist who lived their in the late 80s and one thing she mentioned was the sheer pleasure she felt in just listening to people speak Urdu. She said it was a joy to hear two people arguing in nafees Urdu and she contrasted that with a similar disagreement in Punjabi!!

In Urdu you would say, "mujhe tujh se yeh umeed nahin thi"; in Punjabi she said a person similarly offended would probably call the other a pehnch**!

Comment

The Government does promote Urdu. But its needs the media and especially the writers of songs , movies etc to keep the language alive.

Last year I visited India and attended the Urdu Promotion Exhibition held on Lal Qila grounds. I bought a lot of books and saw some historical Mogul dcouments with signatures of Mirza Ghalib, Shah Jahan , Babur etc. I was so carried away in the past. I visited Mirza Ghalibs house in gali Balli Maraan, Chandni chowk. I wish I could die and be born in 1800's during time of Ghalib, Momin, Mir, Zauq etc. Vo tha zamana !! Lekin vo Delhi ab kahaan !! Now its all western Bu*****t everywhere.

Comment

Asif Bhai,

Long time .. no see!
                I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Asif, I was waiting in this thread for a Punjabi to dish his mother tongue to sing kaseedas of Urdu. You won the award.
                  You are comparing the conversation between kings in Urdu with an argument between two rickshaw walas in front of Bhatti Gate.

Let me say this, Every dirty word that we have in Punjabi, an equivalent of it exists in Urdu/Hindi....and many of them are very close variations. I am sure Punjabi speakers being Dhaggay and dumb did not invent them but borrowed it from some more refined species.

Comment

Channji is likely right about those words existing in Urdu and Hindi. I would say he is right, but I don't know for sure.

The only difference I find is that refined Urdu speakers don't use those words.

Comment

chann ji
                      paRaVa thoRa jiya nimbu paani pee leh te ThanDay dimaaGh naal gallaaN kar!

My intention was not to insult or mock Punjabi--after all I am a Punjabi--and it is a beautiful language too (and the kaafi's of Baba Bullhe Shah and Hazrat Mian Muhammad Bakhsh's Sayful Malook etc. are evidence that its best literature is on a par with anything in the world); my point was the usage of it by common folk who speak it compared with common folk who speak Urdu...

Muzna's point is true IMHO

Comment

I agree with muzna with the exception that

>>The only difference I find is that refined Urdu speakers don't use those words.<<

I believe refined Punjabi speakers don't use them either.
                        It is more of a matter what environment the conversation is going on...e.g. sometimes weeks pass that I don't say any of such words in my speech but then sometimes I am in the company of my close friends and males only having fun....telling dirty jokes and using foul language. I have seen some well refined english, hindi and urdu speakers do the same in these situations.

So my contention is that it is status of the person making the conversation and the environment and tone of the conversation that decides the verbiage not that a certain language is dirty or not-refined.

On the other hand I do believe that Punjabi language and character is more direct in its approach. If you hate someone you say it loudly on the face,not have a chhuri in the baghal and do raam raam, soft praise and nice words like in the conversation in the original post. No matter how refined the language is the order is being given to ruin and kill someone....
                        Refined vacublary is more often used not to convey the true feelings but to hide them.

Comment

I was reading Josh's "Yaadoon ki baraat" and was surprised to see his usage of galiyaan....coz Josh was a person who was well-known among the literary circle for his zabaan'dani, tehzeeb n shaistgi.....
                          So refined or unrefined, everyone galifies...bus zara andaz ka farq hei. An unrefined punjabi jat like chan ji will say, "oye tu baRa paynchod ay", and a refined nawaab like Josh will say the samething like, "qibla aap tou baRe behnchod hein".....aur sun'ne wale ko ghussay ke bajaye pyaar aa jaaye ga....

shaid aisay refined galibaazoon hi ke liay ghalib sahib farma ge hein....

"kitne shirin hein tere lab ke raqeeb
                          galiyaan kha ke bemaza na hova"

Ciao
                          Naik

ps> and a refined punjabi like Asif will be extra careful and instead of using complete word will say something like this..."tum bare pehnch** ho"....

Comment

Originally posted by NaikLarki:

I was reading Josh's "Yaadoon ki baraat" and was surprised to see his usage of galiyaan....coz Josh was a person who was well-known among the literary circle for his zabaan'dani, tehzeeb n shaistgi.....
                            So refined or unrefined, everyone galifies...bus zara andaz ka farq hei. An unrefined punjabi jat like chan ji will say, "oye tu baRa paynchod ay", and a refined nawaab like Josh will say the samething like, "qibla aap tou baRe behnchod hein".....aur sun'ne wale ko ghussay ke bajaye pyaar aa jaaye ga....

shaid aisay refined galibaazoon hi ke liay ghalib sahib farma ge hein....

"kitne shirin hein tere lab ke raqeeb
                            galiyaan kha ke bemaza na hova"

Ciao
                            Naik

ps> and a refined punjabi like Asif will be extra careful and instead of using complete word will say something like this..."tum bare pehnch** ho"....

bari moqa-shanas ho kaki naik...message bhi post ker dia aur galian bhi de dein halankai inka yahan koi kaam nahin tha lakin kia kahain...akhir naik ki post hai...naikian bhi to kamani hein......khoob ho app bhi...

God bless u all...

DerVaisH

------------------
                            muhabatein theen kabhi apne dermian kitni...
                            bicha gaye hai anna hum mein doorian kitni...
                            abhi to toota hai dil hi teri judai mein...
                            girein gi hum pe abhi aur bijlian kitni...

Comment

Dervaish, go play in Cafe. And mind your own aaqbat without issuing fatways on others.

Comment

Working...
                              X