Clear All

the great rickshaw debate

Rickshaw debate.

Which version is better
    The Karachi version with no doors
    the Lahore version with doors.
    The Karachi old city version which has the seating area
    like that of a suzuki pickup.

What are the benefits or disadvantages of both.

This is probably a good time to share a proclamation made
    by my wifey after upon her insistence she had her first rickshaw
    ride
    " while driving the driver forgets that though he has one
    wheel in the front, he has two in the back, and that is why he squeezes
    the rickshaw between buses and trucks like he does"

comments? insights?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Don't rickshaws run on mixture of oil and gas? they really pollute the environment and not to mention driver's own lungs. What do you think the life expetency of a rickshaw driver...errr...rider is??

Rickshaws are fun though. I only know karachi rikshaws....

Comment

I love the karachi rickshaws sans doors...they are so bright and colourful. You get filthy if you ride in them....and it's been about fifteen years since I did...but what a thrill.

Comment

does anyone know what the top speed of a rickshaw is? when I am in it it seems to be about 200 mph. I doubt it actually goes that fast.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I still have no resolution on the rickshaw debate..i ahve given u desis 2 years and still no resolution. btw whats diff in indian rickshaws? anyone familiar with both types..and what bout the tuktuks in bangkok?

Comment

Okie..... There are few other type

Multani Rickshaws....They are the hightop ones.

The cycle rickshaws in Bahawalpur... They are totally open and most fun.

The new kind in lahore...called Chand Gari made by a chinese company. They fit bloody 9 ppl on a rickshaw. NO! i am not kidding.

The top speed would be around less 30 kph (maybe a bit more)... and they dont run on Petrol and Gas.. they run on Petrol and Lub Oil

The best ones are multani rickshaws cuz they airy and most comfy (or least uncomfy)...

Waisay its fun seeing ppl who have grow up abroad going..."OooOo when I was there I rode a richshaw!" ...... Would be called FoBs in pk wouldnt they haha

Comment

sighhz...i love rickshaws..i have only sat in the karachi ones..without no doors... so easy to fall out
              i refuse to sit in a taxi when i go to karachi... only a rickshaw will do (much to the burger side of the family's disgrace )

------------------
              life will continue to be a *****....SO BITE BACK!!!
              standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

khawateen

by that token rickshaws are safer for women, harder to kidnap anyone..ya know

Comment

cycle rickshaws were banned officially in the first Nawaz Shareef government and I don't think they are still around.

Rickshaws without doors suits Karachi's environment coz in Karachi the weather is moderate. I don't know what is the case in Lahore but I know in Sukkur where it is colder in Winter and hotter in Summer they add doors according to the weather. I do admit that they are cozy during winter.

I personally like the yellow and black rickshaws as they can take a group of people and looks like a Pakistani innovation.

Comment

yaar Frauds!
                    I dont know if you have been to India. But this one I have to give it to India! Man there Rickshaws are better than ours! Alot spacious khulay dulay!

And you know what they are alot cheaper than the ones in Pakistan. Other than that the dont have the Jatka decorations and dont look like pimp mobiles.....

Comment

Ali, I have never been to India and most likely will not be going anytime in foreeable future.

hey I like our rickshaws..let me pull out another old thread which counted the diff logos on rickshaws like "maan ki duaa" etc.

Karachi has 3 types of rickshaws now. old regular ones, newer bigger ones with more leg room and the old city ones which have setas in the back facing each other.

we should start having subcontinental rickshaw races..like nascar

Comment

Now this is uncalled for Alibeta, pimp mobile? Man, a Rikshaw without decoration (teep-top) is like an old beatup Mercedes. It wouldn’t be a Rikshaw without all the artistic expressions. It doesn’t matter if the Rikshaw is stuck (cleaning Kachra from the spark plug) or some other major or minor technical glitches, what is more important is that it has super decorations along with some mirrors in the seating compartment. The best part is when your head hits the frame while maneuvering through the bumpy roads.

In my opinion, Lahori Rikshaws beat any other Rikshaw anytime.

I wish they had Rikshaws in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                          Sigh anything to do with Lahore is the best. khair I miss the Rickshaws and yes they should have it in NY cuz just imagine no more traffic problem. three lanes can fit atleast a dozen or so rickshaws pakistani style and just imagine the 1000's of new jobs created the economy will improve too.

------------------
                          "Not only is life a *****, it has puppies."
                          Adrienne Gusoff.

Comment

To those who have been to Lahore (and some other places) in the last 2-3 years, must be familiar with the changed landscape vis a vis Rickshaws. If not...

Welcome to "Chaand Garhi"! This is like a motor-cycle modified to accomodate 4 people in the back. Originally from China "Quing Qui" (pronounced ching-chee), these are now adopted in Lahore's workshop and basically any Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki can be modified.

Seems to be the ride of choice for many many Lahorites. Beats the new air-conditioned buses (Rs 6 flat fare, anywhere) cz of fresh air and ability to enter narrow streets.

Comment

Yaar NYA, you just reminded me off the Episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and Newman come up with an idea for Riskshaws in NYC. And whom better to operate them than the homeless.

I think since NYA you are very familiar with NYC, we should seriously think about investing in this idea. But it might be a little hard for H-1s for Rickshaw drivers

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                              Now this is uncalled for Alibeta, pimp mobile? Man, a Rikshaw without decoration (teep-top) is like an old beatup Mercedes. It wouldn’t be a Rikshaw without all the artistic expressions. It doesn’t matter if the Rikshaw is stuck (cleaning Kachra from the spark plug) or some other major or minor technical glitches, what is more important is that it has super decorations along with some mirrors in the seating compartment. The best part is when your head hits the frame while maneuvering through the bumpy roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X