desis and their drinking habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desis and their drinking habits

I have recently been quite surprised by the number of uncles (and aunties) that openly consume alcohol. I know that drinking among desis is quite a common phenomenon, but I always thought it was something they did on the down-low if not at all. It is more common among Pakistanis which have recently left Pakistan, more shockingly.
    A little while ago, visited some people who arrived here a few months ago. In their living room was a fancy bottle holder displaying all sorts bottles, quite proudly! I was shocked!
    And this weekend met some people who are here on holiday and apparantly all the guy wanted to do was go to pubs and drink.

Has it become quite an open, bes****** wali habit? I haven't been to Pakiland in a while so I don't know what the trends are.
    A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Back home is worse. At least in India it is.
    Here in the west hard liquor consumption is down. Wine consumption is up. I was in India in 1995 on business, and I noticed that there was only one brand of wine being manufactured , but dozens of Indian brands of whiskys, rums and Beers were available. The younger generation is really hooked on hard liquor. At least that is what I observed. Even my business friends were a bit surprised to find me after 28 years in the USA, and refusing alcoholic beverages.

The interesting point is that, we desis are giving up the best of our own culture, and adopting the worst of the western culture.

Comment

Tanhaa,
      "The interesting point is that, we desis are giving up the best of our own culture, and adopting the worst of the western culture."

And what is wrong with drinking in moderation considering you're of legal age ?
      And I didnt know drinking was part of "western culture." Doing it openly is much better than doing it on the sly which implies that you think its worth hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by BombayKid:
        Tanhaa,
        "The interesting point is that, we desis are giving up the best of our own culture, and adopting the worst of the western culture."

And what is wrong with drinking in moderation considering you're of legal age ?
        And I didnt know drinking was part of "western culture." Doing it openly is much better than doing it on the sly which implies that you think its worth hiding.
        I agree with BK. There is nothing like a nice cold beer after a hard day at the office. The only besharmi is the mixing of good scotch with soda.

Comment

ufffooo...I'm not talking about India. I'm sure people don't hide it over there since Hinduism does not condemn alcohol! I'm talking about Muslim desis.

Comment

What's wrong with Nyquil???
            JK
            Yeah I do find it hard to accept Muslims
            drinking...but what can we say??
            It is certainly a bad habit... strictly
            said in the Quran to prohibit it.
            But many liberal minded folks around here.
            In fact there are desi clubs in the UK
            where there is nothing but drinking
            and screwing.
            Over here in the US... i remember at EID
            a NY mix crew called DSNY had an "EID" party
            at a club with drinking and had a sexy dress
            contest for desis. Astaghfurullah. If
            this is common for you folks to do... go ahead
            but remember, there will come a day when these
            actions will bite you in the ass straight to hell. Thank you.

------------------
            Mu Hu Hahahahahaha!
            "Quote the Mu,"NeverMu!"

Comment

I wrote something on this topic twice and lost its both times

I don't know much but these are few pennies.

In Pakistan I knew that it is an Islamic country and only foreigners get alcohol in the hotels. period but later I found that there are 2 brewries (Muree and Quetta) in Pakistan and we export beer. Some of it is slipped to the local market and mostly it is hush hush in Pakistan.

Although, it is looked down upon in majority of desi places yet there are few "ultra modern" desis who think that they want to be like "gora sahib". and consume alcohol in parties. Few beaurucrats can't actually sleep without a peg.

I have heard that in southern africa there are quite a lot of good gujrati community but there are more cases of lost muslim desis who have bars in their houses. I haven't seen anything in the UK but have sure heard that desis tends to go to pubs.

My early days in the UK and I went to a desi restaurant and was given an adivce "munDay, jaan shaan banaya kar, yeh lay kuch pee-lay". The guy was a district councillar in Pakistan .

Comment

what is name of pakistani beer? is alcohol-free?

Comment

Khan Sahib: I am not sure if drinking alcohol makes some desi a gora sahib. I have many friends from the subcontinent who enjoy a few drinks once in a while and are extremely conscious of their heritage and culture. At the end of the day if god presribes hell to us then so be it.

Comment

yeah you get 0% alcohol beer in Pakistan. But how can beer be non-alcohlic? hmmm

Comment

Bombaykid, Infoman,
                      friends this is a Pakistani site and alcohol is not accepted in our faith.. u can debate it in any indian site.. same way would debate eating beef is good or not in any Indian site?
                      ..there r so many other topics u can contribute where faith doesnt clash..
                      Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

>> Although, it is looked down upon in majority of desi places yet there are few "ultra modern" desis who think that they want to be like "gora sahib".

khan_sahib,

Please do explain how drinking alcohol makes one gora-like?

Comment

Roman, you must be drinking the wrong stuff.
                          With two peggs I a feel like a gora and after 4 peggs I feel like I am their piyO(Father).

Comment

Originally posted by Degas:
                            Bombaykid, Infoman,
                            friends this is a Pakistani site and alcohol is not accepted in our faith.. u can debate it in any indian site.. same way would debate eating beef is good or not in any Indian site?
                            ..there r so many other topics u can contribute where faith doesnt clash..
                            With all due respect. There are many muslims on this forum who do enjoy a frosty beverage. I can ofcourse idly sit by and watch the festivities. do enjoy the non-debate
                            e

Comment

Roman,

It must have come out in the wrong sense but it's not the drink that make them gora but the mentality that some people have and how they feel proud to have such drinking parties.

Comment

Working...
                              X