Choora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choora

I remember when I used to be a kid we used to have Christian servants back in Rawalpindi. And whenever I used to get pissed off at him I used to call choora kahin kaa and that would really hurt his feelings. But then my mother used to hit me if I ever did. I dont know where I learnt the word from but now after several years I just thought about it and it just made me real sad that me, always fighting about Racial discrimination in this country used to racially discriminate someone because of his beliefs.

Here we are always talking about how the Americans treated the blacks 150 years ago but we dont look at our own self that such problems exist in Pakistan too!

This attitude has got to be one of the worst aspects of desis. And it's a shame it still hasn't been rid of yet.

Comment

It took me over a year to figure out after I came to UK that what was chooRa as I had never heard this name before. I don't know maybe it's in our family but normally sweepers are called "jamaidaar" and not chooRa. Christians are called "eesai", I guess but maybe someone else from Karachi can explain it as I had never heard this word and think this word "chooRa" is more popular in Punjab province. I might be wrong.

Comment

There was a city called ChooRkana in punjab. It had a very big population of Christians. Its still there but has been renames to....ummm..errr...hmmm.. Something i cant remember. Reasons behind the renaming was to get rid of all this.(or so I have heard)

------------------
        ICBM Target Coords: 27.500S, 153.017E

Comment

The racism here doesnt lie in calling someone a choora, but lies in thinking of being a sweeper as a lesser job. Students coming to the US do all sorts of menial jobs, that include sweeping as well. so i dont know what made the term choora a derogatory one, since its nothing but a profession...much like joolaha, lohar, tarkhaan. Choora is a punjabi word for a janitor....so cant say there is anything wrong with the word itself. Its just the way its used that makes it wrong.

Pakistan inherited caste based mentalities from the subcontinent, and still tow them along to this day.

Comment

Yaar Akif, I think that Choora has something to do with carrying dung. As in the old days there were no toilets and once a day a guy would come and pick up everything and leave. I think the term for janitor is Jamadaar.

Choora I think is derogitory.

Comment

As i have stated before somewhere. I beleive that us desis are the most racist group on the face of the planet. We claim of being victims of prejudice in the west and middleeast. We never do a self assessment of how we treat others, what we think about others etc.

Thats a diff topic, but on the issues of servants, I continue to be surprised at how badly they get treated in Pak, even waiters in hotels or other service people. Any idiot with a few bucks in his pocket feels that he can be as rude to this person as possible. Their are people who treat their servants well too. I know some who put their servants kids through very good schools just so they can make have a better life, but that group is in a minority from what I have seen.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Im from Punjab and have lived in Allahabad. The Punjabi word "Choora" and the Urdu word "Jamadaar" mean the same. The person who cleans toilets and carries away human excrements, sweeps the roads, carries away animal dead bodies and does other menial tasks.

In urdu speaking areas of India, "Jamaadar" is usually not used as a "Gaali". Hence it simply denotes a profession. Whereas Choora is an acceptable "Gali" and is used by both men and women in Punjabi speaking areas.

[This message has been edited by Tanhaa (edited July 10, 2001).]

Comment

ChooRa is a variation of the word Chamaar(the one who deals with chamm/chamRa). The people who used to skin the dead animals, make shoes from it and other related stuff. These people were low caste Hindus and lived in separate localities. With time this term has included anyone who is low caste(untouchables to be more specific) and does the dirty work.
                  Being associated with the low casters and dirty work, the word chooRa has very negative connotations and is commonly used put down gaali.

In the last few decades people have been getting away from calling Chooras chooRa on their face but the word still is a deragotory(sp?) and abusive gaali.

Comment

We had alot of workers in our house (dadi's house) and called them by their name. We had to give them respect or my dada jaan would be standing with danda
                    One of the worker recently died, he was there from like 30yrs. No one knew where he came from (somewhere from india) my chacha jaan had my dada jaan's name on the death certificate. Since none of us knew his parent's name and stuff.
                    We had this other kid who basically grew up with us. My uncle send him to school, gave him education, gave same bed what they had and now he works with my uncle in his company. He has become part of our family .
                    We were always taught to give them respect...or we would get beaten up by our chachas if we ever hurted their feelings ..(which my cousin me did once..feel bad..but we apologized)

ali... when u go there now...do apologize to him because u never know what that can mean to him. Respect is the only thing they have and if u give them more ....... woh bhe Allah ke bande hain
                    Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Re: Choora

When did christians came to be known as chuhras in punjab.

Comment

I don't think that Choora refers to Christians of Punjab. The term is used for Bhangi (khakrob) and as these people were first to convert to Christianity by Missionaries in Indo-Pak, therefore this misconception arose that all Christians of Punjab are Chooras.

PS: what were you searching for chooras?
                        We should care for each other more than we care for ideas, or else we will end up killing each other.

Comment

Are there any chooras which practice any other faith than christianity.I read on another forum that most people who embraced christian faith in punjab in the colonial period were from chuhra caste,it does not mean few others didnt convert.Most of them were involved with sanitary work.

Comment

I heard that term for the first time today
                            Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

Working...
                            X