Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! I need a good novel to read QUICKLY!! Any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! I need a good novel to read QUICKLY!! Any recommendations?

Hi all! Adaab! Assalamu alaa manitaba al Huda! Peace be upon you from my heart to your heart...

..ermm..I am a bibliophile but i am currently in a strange situation for me of not having a good novel to read. Therefore please can you recommend one to me quickly!
    I have got Tehmina Durrani's "Blasphemy" but I will read that in a single day so that is not much help...

If you can tell me a bit about the book(s) too...

thanks/shukria/jazakallah khayran

umm...what kind of novels are u into? i've bought around 15 novels over the past few months..all of them classic literature...Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte etc
    i'll recommend a few later once i know the kind ur into

------------------
    ~*I have a reputation?*~FM

Comment

Candide by Voltaire. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and read it. I hear it's brilliant and not for the faint hearted.
      A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

"illusions"
        or "jonathan livingston seagull" by Richard Bach if you are looking for somethign quirky and uplifting.

try "zargazisht" by mushtaq yusufi if lookin for something in urdu.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

thanks for the replies so far BUT although i do read "classics" I am currently in the mood for something more contemporary.

As for what I read--i am a bibliophile and read a lot of genres (talking of fiction only now)--historical novels, sci-fi, fantasy, thrillers, drama, urdu, romantic novels (but NOT trashy romanctic ones!!), horror, crime...anything really

I'm afraid i have already read Zarguzisht--not bad Currently am in the mood for english novels though...

anything to do with the subcontinent or by indian or paki writers in english will be particularly welcome (assuming i aint already read it!!)

Comment

Have you read, An American Brat? The Stone Woman? Ice Candy Man ... ?
            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Asif, quit bothering us with your trivial reading pleasures everytime you're lost on what's a good read. Go to amazon.com or something, ok?

[This message has been edited by Roman (edited June 21, 2001).]

Comment

check out 'The Vampire Lestat' or pick up
                'American Psycho'

Comment

whoa
                  my taste is so different from all of u people
                  i dont think contemporary interests me at all

------------------
                  ~*I have a reputation?*~FM

[This message has been edited by hk (edited June 21, 2001).]

Comment

Just read Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Solstice and enjoyed it very much. I have read all her works! Another great author is Barbara Kingsolver - just read Prodigal Summer, and am trying to negotiate my way through The Poisonwood Bible, a much more involved story than her other books - but all excellent reading.

Comment

asif

richard bach is as contemporary as one can get.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Asif - You stated that you enjoy a number of different genres... I would suggest reading (if you haven't already) Eleanor Craig's P.S. You're not listening, (it's non-fiction, you might find it a bit old as it was written during the late 1970s I think, but I think you still might like it - definitely a tear-jerker). Um, as far as historical books go, try checking out Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela's autobiography). An excellent and informative read.

Comment

How about jean sasson Desert Royal or princess?

Comment

Asif, mitti paao on angrezi novels.....angrezooN ko kiya pata hum desiyooN ke taste ka...hain???
                            try to find "Gunnah ki RaateiN" by M.A.Rahat....aur parh ke mujhay bhijhwa dena, allah sawaab de ga....

Comment

ok i am not sure its by M.A.Rahat or M.A.Aslam :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X