Barish... :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barish... :-)

It was raining really hard today here in melbourne. Just got me thinking about the summer rains back home and the way ppl used to enjoy them. Even the ladies would have fun and then some khala or phuphoo would be good enough to treat everone with hot tea and pakoray.

I remember last semester I had hard time explaining it to an Aussie friend. He just wasnt able to grasp then concept of running around in the rain just for the heck of it. I sometimes wonder if these ppl know what they are missing!

So do westerners (or other cultures) enjoy rain as we do?

Sitting in cool offices the whole day and then traveling in their AC cars, the westners have not experienced the heat as we Pakis do in Pakistan! So they don't consider a cool shower from the Almighty as a blessing but just something a part of the ecological system.

Most people here laugh at me when I go out walking in the rain. They are worried about getting a cold, ruining their precious clothes, hurting their bare foot ... etc.

Walk barefoot on the grass one early morning!!! It feels even more divine.

p.s: Pakoray/Chayay in Barsat, kia ya'ad karaya haiN who---me. :-(
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

hmm Who-me, Ahmadjee,
      I think these guys (Westerners i mean) do enjoy rain as much as 'we' do.
      Travelling in Ac-ed cars or not, I think we all enjoy it. Umm reflect on it in a spirtual way almost. Cuz I think no matter what way it is .. almost any person relates to what rain brings. Almost like liberating the soul bla bla
      Never thought it would've been an ethnic issue?

Comment

yea i always figured rain was a universal feeling..
        anyway, here's ma fav song on the pour. hope it furthens to what was said on it being "soul liberating" hehe. enjoy.

I feel it, it's coming

Rain, feel it on my finger tips
        Hear it on my window pane
        ..Rain, wash away my sorrow
        Take away my pain

..Rain is what this thunder brings
        For the first time I can hear my heart sing
        Call me a fool but I know I'm not
        I'm gonna stand out here on the mountain top
        Till I feel your rain

..Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
        And I say, never go away

..Rain is what the thunder brings
        For the first time I can hear my heart sing
        Call me a fool but I know I'm not
        I'm gonna stand out here on the mountain top
        Till I feel your

Rain, I feel it, it's coming

{M. Ciccone and Shep Pettibone}

'Nuff said!!

[This message has been edited by aphrodite (edited June 14, 2001).]

Comment

Just for the record, I had Pakoray yesterday!!!!

Who---me: ;-P
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

*crosses out Ahmadjee from the Eid Card List* :~P

Thanks for telling me Admad Bhai *I think ill roll my eyes now*

Kohal it isnt an ethnic issue.... I was just pondering on the fact that other cultures usually dont enjoy it the WAY we do. I sitting under the porch drinking tea with biscuits is fine. I am sure everyone has done it. But taking a shower in tyhe rain and running around (slipping and falling) has its own fun value. I am yet to see a westner do that. I mean literally stepping into the rain with the aim to get wet! I wonder if foreign grown paki kids do it... Do they?

Comment

Who me, trust me. They do.
              All the "Foreign grown up Pakistani kids" sure as anything do
              Aphro - i LUV that song by Madonna!

Comment

Growing up in Sindh, rain was always cherished and very much looked forward to. I remember everyone praying for the rain, and giving food in the name of Allah, so rain would be granted.

When it finally rained, it rained hard. Har taraf jal thal hota tha. Sometimes, even close to flooding. But nonetheless, it never stopped us kids from enjoying it fully. I remember the pakwaans, the aunties, the uncles, the bazurgs. It was celebrated as if it were the holidays. I remember our 'vaira' in the house. At that time the 'vaira' looked like a huge football field in which it was so much fun to chase each other in the rain. I remember the running behind the trees, and the 'peeng' on the tree Uff, i could go on forever describing this, but i better stop now

Save Pakistan.

Comment

Kohalic lives in a strange neighborhood, so she doesn't count!

Who---me: You will forget this till Eid! So there ... And I exactly know what to send you as Eidi! Shan Pakora Mix :-P

:-D
                  - Robert McCloskey

Comment

xcuse me? What in the world are you talking about ahmadjee, if you'd please care to explain that ..

Comment

Originally posted by kohalic:
                      Aphro - i LUV that song by Madonna!
                      Who are you talking with?

ps Ok.. I am not saying anything

Comment

uffo bhee, I was just saying kay you are the only one who has seen amreki people/kids dancing in the rain!

I sure haven't ...

Aub kush?
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

I havent either! I mean aussie bachay.....

And I have a few BBCD (hate to use the term) cuzes, and when the first saw us they had this oh-how-uncivilized! look on their faces :-D. So I was just wondering.

Comment

what is BBCD?????

Comment

Pristine, I'm talking to my girl Aphro. Problem?

khair, ahmadjee - understood.
                              But maybe the only reason I was able to see what I had seen with 'em having fun in the rain is cuz .. well, I'd hang out with them. Else I wouldn't really be umm aware of what they'd be up to.
                              I've never recalled anyone making a making a face if i'd tell 'em....we'd play out in the rain. Where they'd think: my god she's a freak! 'They' can relate to 'us' fairly well with going out in the rain ..or hmm at least the ones I've come across ..

Comment

Working...
                              X