watch out desi..dont say I dinn warn ya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

watch out desi..dont say I dinn warn ya

You cant hide desi..don’t even try to look away, because you know you will look in my direction again. I know it..you know it, and you know that I know it..so don’t even attempt to do so. Eventually you will look and guess what you will see. A smile. Yes siree bob, a smile, for you..desi..from me, another desi.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon. Desis don’t smile in general. Is always that serious look, sometimes almost an angry look. Relax Mon, have a Jam sandwichhh..chill a bit smile. This not smiling thing is especially true when you run into another desi that you don’t know walking down a hallway at your campus or the office. Eye contact is avoided, no hello is said.

This reminds me of living in the dorms. In the café area it was interesting to see interactions. A number of spanish speakers would be sitting and talking and a new person would show up, he would listen in for a few minutes and then walk up and introduce himself, these guys were from all over spain, mexico, costa rica..you name it. I saw a similar trend with arabs as well as french speakers. But then there were desis..lets just say. You know that the other person is a desi…that person knows you are a desi. Both pretend that the other person does not exist..what goes through the mind..here is a sample. The first few thoughts are optional if there is a little bit of doubt about the person being desi

Is this person desi .hmmm. Maybe spanish or arab
    Lets see…clothes indicate the person may be a desi
    Lets check the shoes out..
    Yep the person is most likely a desi
    But is he indian/pakistani/afgani/bangladeshi what
    Hmm that dude called him faisal..this person is a muslim but still not sure if he is indian or pakistani
    Hmmm he is probably pakistani but is he from Karachi
    He looks like it, but is he a burger? Is he a laulkhetia type..hmmm

This goes on..meanwhile the other person is evaluating you in the same manner.

Its like two tigers …walking in circles…looking at each other but no one is making any moves yet to make their intentions be known.

Anyways, I have decided to rebel. If you are a desi and I run into you. you bet I will come and talk to you. I don’t care where u are from, or how long have you been in US, if you are a FOB or ABCD or whatever.

I am going to smile at you and say hello in the hallways and come up and introduce myself in a gathering.

Don’t say I dinn warn ya..
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Yep, either :-| or rarely maybe they try to be

[This message has been edited by khan_sahib (edited June 07, 2001).]

Comment

so should i start printing a bumper sticker that says "have you smiled for a desi today"
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

whats even more weirder is when you are walking down a mall

and see a desi
        just totally being themself

as soon as they spot ya
        all at once they will become alert
        look away and pretend they arent a desi

Denial?

Comment

Fraudia jii, dukhtii rug pay haath rakh diya aap nay to!!

Be it a Grocery store or a freeway, we stare @ each other trying to figure out who and what is t/ other, and do "khoos phuss" in our comapnion's ear and discuss t/ other, all t/ while deciphering whether it's an Indian or a Pakistani?? Worst is t/ elavator where there is absolutely no escape from t/ assessing, diagnostic eyes, yet no smile, forget about hello.

Many a times I have tried offering a smile only to be returned by a blank stare

School was awkward, specially when you're a new Foreign student and can use any form of support from a fellow countrymen specially when you're feeling homesick !

You brave you!

Comment

A number of spanish speakers would be sitting and talking and a new person would show up, he would listen in for a few minutes and then walk up and introduce himself, these guys were from all over spain, mexico, costa rica..you name it. I saw a similar trend with arabs as well as french speakers. But then there were desis..lets just say.

I think this is because desis come in all shapes and form; Bengali, Telgu, Tamil, Punjabi, Gujrati etc ect...at least this is true for Indians. They is no such thing as one kind of Indian desis.

Comment

only a real Pir can bring thi topic up...but any way it not the denial thing , rather where we come from there passing a smile is like .....telling them what your intentions are or saying salam to ur love ones, and back home you never never pass smiles openly to strangers, this can be fatal.
              On the other hand passing a smile here is a normal daily occurance, but when ever we face a desi we are in a dialma, we dont know what he will think about our smile....and while we are thinking about pass or not to pass a smile the moment is passed. But I do agree with Pir ji that we should practice this more on our desi community ...its a very good and polite gesture.
              بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
              بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

I smiled at a desi at my client site. She was kinda confused for a moment and then smiled back..

Rani I agree that desis come in all types, but there are common interests etc. I have never been to India and dont speak any south indian languages but I look at my indian pals and there is a gang from BITS-pilani or Bangalore etc. And there was nuffin common for us to become pals.

How do you become friends with some person unless you make contact first. The initial contact among desis..unless introduced by another, is an interesting phenomenon.

Comment

I know Fraud. I am agree with you. Last night I was doing my regular walk in my brand new dhutti and this desi family came from somewhere and start making fun of me like they never saw anybody in dhutti before. Imagine man, my own desi brother made fun of me.

I hate these desis...

Comment

JohnD are u sure they were laughing at your brand new dhutti...
                    بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
                    بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

I agree that due to some norms back home smiling at strangers and all could be taken in the wrong way especially with opposite sexes...and this is not to say that it does not happen in US anyways.

We need to start trusting people a bit. I recall the first time I was on Devon. I had driven to chicago to see my mum who had a layover in chicago on her way back to London from my sisters city. I took my wife and mother to devon for lunch and since my mum only eats zabeeha, I wanted to ask around and find out which restaurants serve zabiha and are they any good. The first person I saw was a lady with her daughters. I called her aunty and asked her if she knew about a good zabeeha restaurant since I did not know and wanted to take my mother and wife to the restaurant. My mother and wife were standing right behind me but this lady just did not even say yes or no, but just did a "khi khi ki" like a teenager and shook her head. Its like listen lady, I am not interested in you or yer damn daughters, I am not checking you out. I am asking one frigign simple question.
                      Say yes or say no..but respond..communicate..

Anyways then i saw a halal meat store and asked the person there for some recommendation and got one.

Now that I am a Chicago resident and go to Devon off and on and see that out of towners are trying to ask people for directions and getting dissed...sad sight

[This message has been edited by Fraudz (edited June 07, 2001).]

Comment

It is an interseting thought. We are all (guppies) desis...right? So are we all not doing it?

Comment

hehe, when I see a desi I am so fascinated, and do the exact same thing as Funky Desi !! I'm more appreciative when I see or meet one, since there aren't many here and I guess I am friendly, a bit too friendly at times and they're like woahhh, beware freaky chick! hehe
                          A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

Whenever i see a desi I always say hello. Since I know a few languages I try one of them and it usually brings a smile.

Im always reminded of the song

"Vatan say kuri aa-ee hai" or
                            "Vatan say munda aaya hai"

[This message has been edited by Tanhaa (edited June 07, 2001).]

Comment

When I moved from London (where there are lots of desis) to Boston (where there are hardly any desis) I noticed that if I ever came across one on the street or in a mall, they would really stare at me intensly, it was very unerving.

I told my father about this and he said, "Don't worry son, they are just trying to work out if you are from their village".

Made me laugh

Comment

Working...
                              X