Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dhulhan's lehanga

Guys!!
    I just dont understand why is it Red or Pink (Dhulhan's lehenga). Why can't there be a different color? On Valima i have seen different colors. But on Baraat its always Red. why?
    Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

go ahead, change the trend, wear an orange one
    (remember, she is asking to Guys only)
    **and now i should run, otherwise she is going to hit me**

[This message has been edited by Mr-Joker (edited June 02, 2001).]
    INSTANT HUMAN

(Just Add Coffee)

Comment

no i've seen it where the dulhan on her rukhsati day is wearing white ,
      creamy. 'doenst have to be red ... 'suppose it's a preference of tradition or what either side of the family wants ?
      no rule in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr-Joker:
        go ahead, change the trend, wear an orange one
        (remember, she is asking to Guys only)
        **and now i should run, otherwise she is going to hit me**

[This message has been edited by Mr-Joker (edited June 02, 2001).]
        i am glad u ran away because i was coming with my jharoo and hit u *smash* orange yuck.. man u got no taste do u .....

aphrodite..... hmmm interesting

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Nia, they can wear any colour in this day, there's no hard and fast rule, although red is still the preffered colour. I've seen brides wearing a bronzy/brown colour, or red with lots of green.
          A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

It really depends on whats the IN colour at the time - years and years ago it was horrible flurosent Pink or sureece (s/p)

Then it was sort of blood red ..

Now its more Maroon - Gold and Maroon was in for a while..

I have seen Blues and Greens too...

Personally I dont think Asian brides suit the white english style wedding dress!

One wedding I went to the bride wore a lovely sea blue - turqoishy (firozi) coloured lehenga - that was gorgeous!!

I Think I'd wear Maroon & Gold myself..

Comment

OK, do you wnat to know the real reason behind wearing red? Well one of my lecturers was once talking to me about the link between colour and symbolism. Red is meant to symbolise the virgin blood on the wedding night. Bet u'll not ask that question again in a hurry

So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief:
              Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.

Comment

It may have been to hide bloodstains. But I think tah the colour red had a lot of symbolism behind it. Red is considered a happy colour - think of teh alternatives!

White is considered a symbol of purity in western culture, but in the east is represents, in many cultures, the concept of a void. Black is also not considered a festive colour. As far as I know the various shades of red are all considered festive or auspicious, but other colours are also accepted and sometimes preferred. I have seen brides wearing just about any colour... so I guess that it is basically dictated by tradition.

Comment

`hmmmm I just got married a month ago, and had maroon on my wedding day... it's symbolic.... and it looks... to GOOD on a bride.....

------------------
                  just love...............

Comment

I assume that lehanga is a gharara or sharara type of thing that bride wears on wedding day.

I remember my aunt wearing cream colour gharara on her wedding day. I really don't know the reason why they have to wear red. Perhaps, it is to make the guys aware of the danger coming ahead.

Comment

Both my Bhabhies wore brownish/Goldish colors!

Red sure has been the one used mostly ... but I think the trend is changing.
                      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by Sadi Sobi:

OK, do you wnat to know the real reason behind wearing red? Well one of my lecturers was once talking to me about the link between colour and symbolism. Red is meant to symbolise the virgin blood on the wedding night. Bet u'll not ask that question again in a hurry

well if one wont ask one wont know .. red is also a color of passion and fire... but the way u have symbolised it..hmm havent heard that yet interesting

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Trends come and go, what stays is classic traditional colours and outfits. As Mem mnetioned t/ trend about Hot (ugly) pink eons back!

Red will always be t/ colour of bride, as white is and will be t/ colour for Western brides, eventho styles may vary w/ t/ passage of time.

Red for wedding and golden are my favourite. My sis-in-law wore Red for wedding and a beautiful aqua blue on her Valima. It was winter and t/ colour went very well according to t/ weather!

Comment

I never really payed attention much... My cousin's wife was wearing a blue lenga on their wedding day. I know of a few people who wore white lengas.

Hm...wats with lengas n e ways?? Can't we women wear a classic shalwar kameez and look elegant and bride-ish all at the same time??

------------------
                            Surah 2 Verse 201: "And there are some who say Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the fire."
                            22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Well the Lehnga could be yellow and with golden phool bootay ....Lady is gonna wear it only once in her life time.

The question should be why does it have to be so expensive? Lets hear some justifications....

Comment

Working...
                              X