I have a question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question....

In Islamic countries like Pakistan what do Hindus swear on in a court of law : Koran or Bhagavad Gita ?

I am not sure that you can call the legal venues in these countries, "courts of law"

Comment

Ok... let us say US then.. does everyone irrespective of their religion swear on the BIBLE ?

Comment

I believe that they are asked what holy book they would like to swear on.....

Comment

In US, no one is asked to swear on any Holy book. You just raise your hand and swear to tell the truth. I am not sure what the case is in Pakistan.

Comment

So if a Hindu wants to swear on Koran or Muslim on Gita he would be able to do that? Since they don;t believe in each other's books this whole swearing busines sounds so unnecessary.

Comment

NYA, for once you may be wrong....
              I watch episodes of 'Arrest and Trial' regularly on TV and I am sure I have watched witnesses putting their hands on the bible.

Comment

NYA,
                I just read on one of the sites that in the US, a witness must promise to tell the truth either by swearing on the Bible or by just making a solemn affirmation by raising their hand.

Muzna,
                You mean to say that all courts in India/Pak and elsewhere have a ready stock of all holy books or is there a directive that goes to the witness like "Witness must bring his/her own holybook to the courtroom"

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited May 31, 2001).]

Comment

Chilli, you are right. They are given a choice, but the landmark (Grant v Montana) case (I believe year 69) right after the civil rights movement, the US supreme court decided that the witnesses/accussed/etc. brought forward will not be required to take the solemn oath on a religious book (the choice is theirs). No one can make anyone take the oath on any book. In fact, “so help me God” part is not required. One can just say that “I will tell the truth” and that is sufficient. If I am ever brought in a Court, I will even refuse to take the oath. I will ask the Judge to establish what the truth is based upon the evidence and not my mere words. If they expect me to tell them the truth, I expect to get paid for that.

Comment

I should have been more clear chilli....I was talking about in Canada and US.....dunno anything about court system in Pakistan or India....

I could ask around though......

Comment

why chilli you planning to get arrested in pakistan?

Comment

Originally posted by Muzna:
                        I believe that they are asked what holy book they would like to swear on.....

Yes Muzna you are right. As far as i have heard, they have all of the Holy Books and of course, one cannot touch Quran Sharif without wadu...so they place their hand a little above than Quran Sharif... how do i know this did a paper back in high school
                        Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                          why chilli you planning to get arrested in pakistan?

yeah, it would one of a kind experience
                          There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the end the sword will always be conquered by the spirit. --Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Working...
                          X