Sadi Sobi – You are on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadi Sobi – You are on

Last night with a friend (I dont know what promoted the conversation about the person you admire most it was something in musical context, I think). Yehudi Menuhin, was my first response (it needs no thinking on my part). I have always admired Yehudi, both as a master musician and more as a person. He died a few years ago at the age of 82.

He is considered one of the leading violinists of the last century. He was a child prodigy born in 1916 in New York of Russian Jewish parents, who migrated from Palestine to New York. His first performance was at the age of 7 that was by all accounts brilliant for a violinist at any age. Only a few years later, he played with the New York Symphony Orchestra under the direction of the great German conductor Fritz Busch. I think Yehudi must have been only 11 or 12 at that time.

By early teens, he had already won recognition in Berlin, Paris and London. In a book I read some while ago, it said that once, at his first concert in Berlin, Einstein followed Yehudi Menuhin after the concert, hugged him and said: "Now I know there is a God in heaven!". This was the beginning of his imposing international career in which he performed with leading conductors and orchestras all over the world.

In addition to his music, Yehudi has been recognized for his extensive writings and numerous benefit concerts promoting world peace. He lived for some time in Tel-Aviv, and was very critical of the Israelis for their treatment of the Palestinians. He also practiced yoga, and could tune a violin by holding it with his feet and placing it on his head (try picturing that).

I saw him in a concert in Schewtzingen, Germany in the early 90, playing with Mannhiem Symphony. That was the only concert of Yehudi that I saw, but I own a collection of his early work.

Just wanted to share it with you. From now on, lets hear from every member, on Friday, about who is their inspiration. I designate Sadi Sobi to be the next member to share with us all who she finds inspirational (anyone other than the Queen, please). Sadi, you have until next Friday to comeup with that, and after that, you can designate the next person who will share his or her inspiration.

OMIGOD Budhai, ur getting quite clever in ur old age. Post is looking good. It'll take me atleast a week to come up with someone other than my dearest father, who i will idolise till the day i die

So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief:
    Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.

Comment

Take your time Sadi. You can share about your Dad, or anyone who has inspired you. There are many people who inspire us at different stages in our lives, me being a tad bit older than you (though by not much, shut up now), I have been influenced by many people in my life. I look forward to your contribution next Friday. Next time you refer to me as Budha, you are a Dead Sobi.

Comment

OK Budha

Comment

Shoot. Don't u just hate it when that happens. I've just been staring at my emails for the last half hour trying to figure out who I'd promised to mail b4 Friday, when i realised that I wasn't meant to mail anyone - I was supposed to post my reply on here. I'm growing senile in my old age

k, I'll try thinking of some1 before tmrw. Is there anyone out there desperate to go next or should i play a game of 'eenie meenie mynie mo' ???????

Sobi

PS - That is so weird NYA .... I'd never actually heard of Yehudi before u enlightened me about his talents. But, since last week i must have heard atleast 3 people mention his name .... or maybe it's cuz i recognise him now ....

Comment

Al Bundy

Comment

Excellent thread, NY.
              I am waiting with bated breath, to see what Saadi sobi, or other intellectuals amongst us have to say.

I've been trying to narrow down my list of people who inspired me but that in itself is a hard task, let alone writing about it!

Comment

is it already Friday? we're waitinnnnnn SS

Comment

Urm wakey wakey guys. Press 'Back' on ur Browser and u'll see a thread by the name of: 'Romaan u freshy, ur on' <<<< that was my reply.

Comment

Sobz, go find yourself another 'freshy', I'm too lazy to be inspired.

Comment

Chicken #1?

Comment

Romaan - Finally - thankyou so very much ....

U see, I wasn't actually gonna pick you to start with - I just had to prove something to someone ... Job Well Done I'd Say

Cheerz Big Earz, I owe you one

So does that mean i can pick someone else now ?????

Comment

I feel like a 3rd grader again. Thank you, too.

Comment

No probs. It's the least i can do So tell me, do u want me to pick someone else or will you be able to manage a few lines ????

Comment

Where is our chicken numero uno?

Comment

Working...
                              X