Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• khan_sahib
    replied
    Ch. Sahib, ethics and morals are all about what society think good and bad is. On the other hand, Quran gives u a complete code of conduct. The morals and ethics will change from time to time but not the rules given by Allah. For example, homosexuality was a taboo in 50's and wasn't considered a good thing to talk about but now the "norm" or ethics and morals tell you to respect what other think. I hope I was able to distinguish the two.

Leave a comment:

• Ch. Lal Din
    replied
    r u sure khan sahib that morals and ethics r man made. isn't true that religions like Islam also teach morality and ethics??

Leave a comment:

• khan_sahib
    replied
    Yes, these words are normally interchanged but have different meanings altogether. Important thing is I don't believe in morals and ethics as they are man made and changable with time as and when suited to the people. We need something more concrete than just morals and ethics to run the society.

Leave a comment:

• isloo_ki_anarkali
    replied
    KS...whats ur opinion ..am i right..frankly before i read this i thought both words as synonymous

ps--u have a quiz on this tomorrow

------------------
    '"Tell me whom you love and I will tell you who
    you are.........."

Leave a comment:

• khan_sahib
    replied
    isloo ki anarkali, why remind me of my english ki ustani who always used to differentiate things and telling us the meaning of so many things.

Leave a comment:

• isloo_ki_anarkali
    started a topic Ethics versus Morals

Ethics versus Morals

SO!what distinguishes morals from ethics and the adjective moral from the adjective ethical.
    Ethics names the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation. Morals is reserved for moral practices or teachings, or as a term for modes of conduct. Moral principles often have religious justification, and the religious and the moral have often been conflated.

Although moral and ethical are often used interchangeably to mean "conforming to a standard of what is right and good," the adjectives do have individual nuances. Moral implies conformity to established sanctioned codes or to accepted notions of right and wrong; that's the word we use when we talk about the "basic moral values of a community." Ethical, on the other hand, may suggest the involvement of more difficult or subtle questions of rightness, fairness, or equity. That's the term we use to talk about "commitment to the highest ethical principles."

Whichever term you embrace, you might take to heart this observation attributed to both Adlai Stevenson and Alfred Adler: "It is easier to fight for one's principles than it is to live up to them."

so ..am i right?
Working...
X