The concept of being a "miraasi" in our culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The concept of being a "miraasi" in our culture

I have always not understood why is being a musician been considered a bad profession in our culture.

I remember my grand parents being from old times whenever I showed interest in music discouraged me saying "yeh to Mirasiyon" ka kaam hay. First of all I still dont understand what is a Mirasi? Even in modern times

I am sad to say that one of my cousin's the other day when talking about the Late Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and how much fame and respect he had in the west all of a sudden went " Jo bhee hay hay to woh mirasi thaa". If this is what our culture discourages Muscians I am sorry to say that I am not very proud to be a part of this culture.

i have the same prob..i'm a musician myself and i gtt the same remarkz from ppl bk in pakistan when i was there in 97...itz really sad to c how they treasure and respect other countriez artistz and musicianz and call them ARTISTZ, but when it comez to our own artistz, they are nothing but merely a "MERASI"....very sad indeed,,i don't understand on wht groundz they think that out artistz are merasi and otherz are artistz...

------------------
    Alf Allah Chunmbay Di Booti
    Mere Maan Vich Murshad Lai Huu..
    Naffi Asbaat Da Paani Mallaya
    Har Raggay HarJai Huu
    [Sultan Bahuu]
    **The Day She Left...**
    FriDaY_JaN_26Th_10:30:00_A.M...

Comment

Does this have to do with the influence of Islam in which 'Gana Bajana' is considered bad..?

Comment

Rani mind you this is not the religuous section and we are not discussing it under the light of Islam. Just how it is treated by our culture.

You on the other hand are totally unreasonable and I have noticed have to interfere in every single topic which deals with ridiculing Islam and Pakistan! Please refrain! As this is a Pakistani site!

Anyway back to the topic!

Comment

And just for your information Rani, Gaana Bajana isnt considered wrong in Islam to a certain extent. As you know Islam spread in the sub continent though Sufis and Saints and the religuous message of Islam was spread through Qawalli.

Even the Prophet PBUH when entered Madina was welcomed by girls singing and playing "dafli" and they were told to continue by the Prophet PBUH himself.

Comment

For AliBeta

Comment

Originally posted by AliBeta:
              Rani mind you this is not the religuous section and we are not discussing it under the light of Islam. Just how it is treated by our culture.

You on the other hand are totally unreasonable and I have noticed have to interfere in every single topic which deals with ridiculing Islam and Pakistan! Please refrain! As this is a Pakistani site!

Anyway back to the topic!
              I asked a simple question, i don't want lectures from likes of you. Learn to behave i have also noticed you abusing Indians and Hinduism many times, like you are doing now. Watcher has posted verses many times to the effect 'Gana Bajana' is haram in Islam...Dig them out and read them.

Btw, what do you mean by this is Pakistani forum. Ask management to ban Indians, we come here because they let us. This is not your forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:
                I asked a simple question, i don't want lectures from likes of you. Learn to behave i have also noticed you abusing Indians and Hinduism many times, like you are doing now. Watcher has posted verses many times to the effect 'Gana Bajana' is haram in Islam...Dig them out and read them.

Btw, what do you mean by this is Pakistani forum. Ask management to ban Indians, we come here because they let us. This is not your forum.

well rani its very sad that you are just waiting for an opportunity to start islam and muslim bashing see ther are loopholes in every religion and i start talking about hinduism it will turn very ugly and i dont want to start another round of islam and hindusim feud.
                and please let people say what ever they like to say i am not in favor of baning anyone
                well personal my opinion is that this miraasi or whatever is all bull**** .

[This message has been edited by kabir (edited February 09, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:

QUote me one time Abusing Hindus or India. I have always respected everyones religeon and beliefs! Unlike you having Pakistani friends I have many Hindu and Sikh friends and they have never been unreasonable like you. I have nothing against India. I love Indian music, the Indian culture, Indian music and have always had the thinking that our culture is influenced by Indian cultre and am very proud of it as we have rich heritage!

As for me behaving. When was I rude to you. I was just saying that instead of starting with the usual stuff you start lets stick to the topic!

And mind you once again! This is a Pakistani forum. I never said or meant that you are not welcomed here. We have many interesting Indian guppies here including people like you ZZ and Rviz. What is a discussion forum without difference of opinions! But ridiculing once beliefs and unreasonable is not very nice! I never said this forum beongs to me I just said that respect that its a Pakistani forum.

Harr baat main Islam Pakistanis and even Indian Muslims ko buraa bhalla kehnaa is not right.

Comment

Okie…back to the topic

Here are my do aane – why is being musician considered bad? My guess is that, you couldn’t make enough money being mirasi, so it was considered a ‘low’ job, hence low cast (mirasi is a cast, at least in my village) Mirasi is the person who usually sings at weddings and other occasions, and is paid on daily basis, so their job is not permanent etc etc.

Also as Rani says, Islam does not exactly encourage music, and gana etc, so we are a lil’ influenced by that also, however it would be wrong to say that most of our elders, have problems with music because of religion, it’s simply a tiny lil part of our culture, and hopefully not very common anymore.

As for the artists in general, again in some countries you can’t ‘afford’ to be artists alone, you guys should read that book by Sadiq Salik called pressure cooker, it’s great (it’s in urdu by the way). All the other negative comments are attached cuz of the ‘low cast’ and not because we Pakistanis don’t like or appreciate music, we just have this ghar ki murghi daal barabar attitude In general we gotta learn to show respect to our own, something that we almost never do, sad na.

Comment

Miraasis are good. infact great. During my last visit to Punjab I recorded about 2 hours of their continuous show they provided in our courtyard. Man are they witty, humourous and good sigers or what.

Pertaining to Rani's query and a reasonable explaination by Sabah, I also want to add that in East Punjab most of the Miraasis still belong to Muslim community. Many of their names are Muslim sounding also. I am not sure but my guess is their is some co-relation there between them being almost outcasts and islamic discouragement of gana bajana.

Comment

very well said!!
                        Originally posted by sabah:
                        Okie…back to the topic

Here are my do aane – why is being musician considered bad? My guess is that, you couldn’t make enough money being mirasi, so it was considered a ‘low’ job, hence low cast (mirasi is a cast, at least in my village) Mirasi is the person who usually sings at weddings and other occasions, and is paid on daily basis, so their job is not permanent etc etc.

Also as Rani says, Islam does not exactly encourage music, and gana etc, so we are a lil’ influenced by that also, however it would be wrong to say that most of our elders, have problems with music because of religion, it’s simply a tiny lil part of our culture, and hopefully not very common anymore.

As for the artists in general, again in some countries you can’t ‘afford’ to be artists alone, you guys should read that book by Sadiq Salik called pressure cooker, it’s great (it’s in urdu by the way). All the other negative comments are attached cuz of the ‘low cast’ and not because we Pakistanis don’t like or appreciate music, we just have this ghar ki murghi daal barabar attitude In general we gotta learn to show respect to our own, something that we almost never do, sad na.

Comment

Agree with most of what Sabah said ...

In my house, just listening to it was such a taboo that actually composing one would raise hell! And religion basically had a BIG roll in this. Justified correctly through religion or not ... is a totally different discussion all together.

I always believe in the music, which gives a pleasing effect on self. "Rooh ki Piyass" And as most of the music out their these days does not come under this definition ... you can see how limited knowledge I would have in this regard!!

From a social point of view, I disagree a little from what Sabah claimed.

I think the "Mirases" were not low key financially! I have heard from my mother that most of the "Rishta" were finalized with their assistance, and people trusted them ... gave them high price for the best information! But then again they trusted them rather than respecting them.

People change, Culture change ... ethics change!! I see a bright future for musicians, should I dare say ... bright future for Miraasi!!!

------------------
                          Humanity First! Though I give you the right to disagree ...
                          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

To some extent comparing earning & celebrity status of Americans with that of developing countries like India & pakistan is not fair.

Our countries dont treat doctors,engineers,mba,lawyers,also as good as they do here.However ,Music in indo- pak region has been significant both among muslims & hindus,Khusro is to have inented Sitar from mandeline like percussion instrument from Persia,Afghanistan region.Vilayet ali khan,akbar ali khan ,In sitar ,allah rakha & zakir hussain in Tabla ,Bismillah khabn in Shenai are the best in there field .Qawali ,naat,is almost synonymous with muslims like rap & hip hop is of black culture here.Bade ghulam ali khan & many inneumerable gharanas who trace there ancestery to times of tan sen,in akbars court are still widespread in northern india.Many raags which pakistani think are hindu are easilly identified with muslims in india bharvi,thumri,& like sufi traditions of Kabir,are mixed in poorbi bhasha less pure form of arabic iranian influence.Just because some muslims arbitrilly dileanate every word with tinge of sanskrit unislamic,its ridiculous to think arabic as islamic when many christian palestenians know better than pakistani muslims &if veda is sanskrit ,it doesnt become hindu language just as arabic is not all islamic.Kabir was born muslim,both his parents were muslims but he was brought up by hindu family & he knew who he was .Didnt bother him to be muslim & use hindu languages to speak,.

------------------

:

When was i for real?
                            I am myself a dream
                            I always see you
                            watching me tenderly

Comment

Working...
                            X