X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sehar
    replied
    haha

i was in pakistan past summer and all my lil cousins/nieces/nephews called me AUNTY...at first i was a bit overwhelmed, but then i thought it was cute

It's simply a concept that comes out of respect. It's like a "default" command in our minds.

Leave a comment:

• Goose
    replied
    That's very cute Uncle Wikky. Thanks Pristine, that does explain some things.

------------------
    The world is my oyster.

Leave a comment:

• waqas72
    replied
    all the little friends living at the flats of my cousin used to call me Uncle Wikki Bhai See my cousin called me Wikki Bhai so the kids thought that was my name..hence
    Uncle Wikki Bhai

they were so cute. A little army of kids getting all excited everytime I came by asking me to play with them ...*sigh*

------------------
    If you can not change it, get over it already!

[This message has been edited by waqas72 (edited February 13, 2001).]

Leave a comment:

• Pristine
    replied
    These are just the gorafied terms for calling elders.. I presume, before these were in vogue, kids used to refer to elders as chaacha and khala (even for non-relatives).

Some of my friends still teach my kids to call them like "Imran Chaachu"... Kinda cute, huh And much more personal than a bland 'uncle'.

Leave a comment:

• Goose
    started a topic Uncle and Aunty

Uncle and Aunty

Why do we refer to strangers, all our parents' friends, as 'Uncle' or 'Aunty'? Where did this concept come from? Surely these terms haven't been always been used, say 50 years ago even. So what did we call our elders before?
Working...
X