sadat hasan manto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sadat hasan manto

well guys i have admired this writer " sadat hasan manto" before partition he belonged to bombay and loved this city very much
    he had writeen a book "stars from another sky" which was all about hindi film industry of 1940's it was a very interesting book
    and i also liked his short stories can some one plz shed some light on the wherabouts of his family .is his wife alive and what about his children?

Manto's short stories...never failed to shock me.
    Life is only a dream.

Comment

Toba Tek Singh........was one such story I read and really admired !!

Comment

I don't think I have read this particular one. I would give Manto credit for discussing topics of our culture that very few other writers would even consider discussing. In that sense, he may be admired. But, in my opinion, his writing was always a bit too bold. Could he have presented his very same ideas in a gentler manner? Why did he choose to present reality in it's utmost crudest form?
        Life is only a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dopey:
          Could he have presented his very same ideas in a gentler manner? Why did he choose to present reality in it's utmost crudest form?
          I agree, but at the same time I would like to read any of his writings if I get a chance.
          Back in 1989/90 in Pakistan I got a chance to see a play (a few of his stories were converted into plays in an annual drama festival - - - stage show by Ajoka theatre, theatre walay and others)

I liked that very much.

Comment

i think he was ahead of times .i find his writings though 50 years old still relevant i guess his writing are more practical today

Comment

Originally posted by kabir:
              i think he was ahead of times .i find his writings though 50 years old still relevant i guess his writing are more practical today
              Unfortunately, true. How would the world be another 50 or 100 years from now?
              Life is only a dream.

Comment

I speak only from what I have heard of this author so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

When a writer chooses to express him/herself in a "crude" fashion, why are they considered ahead of their time? Whatever it was the Manto addressed in his novels, could the same not have been expressed in a more "politically correct" way?

Instead of considering him ahead of his times, why not just say that he was blunt and unpolished?

Do tell me more because it is possible that my analysis and question is not relevant because you are speaking of not his style but the messages that he was conveying.....

Comment

this discussion cud be more interesting if we put some of his work here.....so if u guys promise me a finger massage i can post some of his work ....

Comment

I'll promise!

Comment

i need one more assurance...that i won't get any lectures like...."Naik this is a pakistani site, u shudn't have posted it here"....u know i am sensitive..

Comment

Originally posted by Muzna:
                        I speak only from what I have heard of this author so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Instead of considering him ahead of his times, why not just say that he was blunt and unpolished?

Do tell me more because it is possible that my analysis and question is not relevant because you are speaking of not his style but the messages that he was conveying.....

I disagree Muzna. He presented reality is it's utmost crudest form...yes...but yet one cannot call his writings unpolished. His writings were excellent; he just chose a different style to express himself. His messages, if one thought enough about the message, were strong and hit directly at the heart of the reader. I was always shocked at his frank style of wrinting, and his harsh look at reality always hit me directly in the face...but I think I appreciated his honesty. I refuse to accept that he was unpolished as a writer. I prefer to think that he chose that writing style intentionally. But why? A question I always ponder upon when I come across one of his books.
                        Life is only a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dopey:
                          But why? A question I always ponder upon when I come across one of his books.

His messages, if one thought enough about the message, were strong and hit directly at the heart of the reader.
                          Within your own message you have answered your own question.

One of the most important goals of any writer is to deliver impact. Obviously Manto did that quite effectively.

Naik,

I look forward to your postings.....please quote away.....

Leave it to me to deal with the "sensitivities".

Comment

I don't know much about Munto writing but I have seen some of his Dramas on TV. I rememer sometime in mid or late 70's Karachi TV started a series called Munto Rama, I saw few of them and I think those were the best Dramas I ever saw in whole life. If anybody knows how to find them, please let know. Especially the one about two prostitutes, I think It was best drama ever produce by PTV.

And about his writing, I don't know why everybody complain about him and says nothing about Ismat Chukhtai. I read some of Ismat writing and I think they were not only dirty, they were directly insulting women. The one I read was so bad that I did not even finish the story and still she is considered as an honorable writer. I don't know how many of you heard about Poet in Lucknow, I forgot his full name but his TAKHALUS was Chirgee, and his style was not vulger but he was gross and dirty. He was a well respected Saheb-e-Dewan Poet of Lucknow.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzna:
                              Within your own message you have answered your own question.

One of the most important goals of any writer is to deliver impact. Obviously Manto did that quite effectively.

No Muzna, you did not understand my point...perhaps I was not clear enough. I know that his writings were excellent and impact strong. But why did he choose that style to deliver the impact? What was it about him that made him choose that style? Could he not have delivered a strong impact, if he so chose, in a different manner? Considering his excellence as a writer, he probably could if he wanted to. What was it about HIM that made him choose that manner of writing.
                              Life is only a dream.

Comment

Working...
                              X