Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Women in America

Way to go, this makes me so proud.

Cereal thriller -- Highest-ranked Indian female executive adds fizz to corporate America
    Chidanand Rajghatta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON, DECEMBER 6: Indra Nooyi is fizzing again.

Corporate America's highest ranking Indian female executive was named President of Pepsico on Monday in addition to her current job as chief financial officer following her widely-acclaimed role in restoring the fortunes of one of the world's premier brands.

Nooyi, 44, joined Pepsico as chief strategist only six years back and has been involved in every major strategic decision the company has made in the lastfew years. That includes the drive to spin off Pepsico's fast food chain in 1997, acquiring Tropicana in 1998, and the $ 13 billion move last week toacquire Quaker Oats.

Pepsico chief Roger Enrico announced her elevation following the Quaker acquisition saying, ``Indra's contribution to Pepsico have been enormous and shewill make a great President.'' In addition to her new role as President and CFO, Indra will also be nominated for election to the Pepsi board.

``She is a terrific addition to our world-class board and her perspective will be invaluable,'' Enrico said.

Indra was promoted as CFO in only April this year after a series of bold corporate moves that energised the flagging giant. She was recently named as one ofthe 50 most powerful women in corporate America by Fortune magazine, alongside industry legends such as Hewlett-Packard's Carly Fiorina, Palm's DonnaDubinsky, and lifestyle maven Martha Stewart.

``Indra is off the charts. The energy and time she puts in are incredible,'' Enrico had said at that time.

Typical of most Indian female executives, Nooyi balances her domestic and professional life – and also her Indian and western interests – with remarkableequilibrium. She lives in Connecticut with two daughters aged 16 and 7 and her management consultant husband in a lifestyle characterised by a mix of eastand west.

A profile in BusinessWeek said the Nooyis maintain a puja room where a lamp and incense sticks burn constantly. At the same time, Indra also plays theguitar and belts out popular tunes at office parties. ``The promotion is a testament to her ability to balance a high-powered career with a family and herHindu heritage,'' BusinessWeek said.

Nooyi has been a rising corporate star for quite some time now. Following a management degree from Yale in the 1980s, she worked at the Boston Consulting Group,Motorola, and Asea Brown Boveri, before she came to Pepsico in 1994. At that time she also had an offer from General Electric, arguably the world's largestand best run company.

``Jack Welch (GE's legendary boss) is the best CEO I know, and GE is probably the finest company. But I have a need for someone like you, and I would makePepsiCo a special place for you,'' Pepsi's then CEO Wayne Calloway told her in a bid to lure her.

It wasn't the last time corporate America courted her. Earlier this year Timberland CEO Jeffrey Swartz phoned her relentlessly to urge to join the boots company’sboard. In a final desperate act, he is said to have mailed a pair of yellow Timberland boots to Roger Enrico, with a letter pleading for his support. Itpaid off: Nooyi became Timberland's first woman board member in February.

Her methods are unusual to say the least. A rabid sports fan, she studies videotapes of the final championship games Michael Jordan played for theChicago Bulls for their lessons on teamwork.

Nooyi attributes her rise to hard work, a modest upbringing and a balanced lifestyle. In one interview, she recalled how she did not own a single businesssuit when first came to the U.S in 1978 to attend Yale University's Graduate School of Management. She interviewed for summer jobs with consulting firmswearing a sari.

``I was a poor student, working nights to make ends meet. But by the end of the summer, I had made enough money to buy two suits,'' she said.

Nooyi is among the several Indian executives who have crashed the glass ceiling in the 1990s. Among her Indian contemporaries are former Hewlett Packardexecutive Radha Ramaswami Basu, who is now CEO of software vendor Support.com, and Cisco vice-president Jayashree Ullal. Vani Kola, another acclaimed Silicon Valley entrepreneur who founded Rightworks, earned the sobriquet `Red Eye Mom' for her ability to juggle her home life and her entrepreneurship.

Nooyi addressed the subject in the Fortune 50 issue saying the ``reality is that women have to be just a little better at their jobs to succeed.''

``But rather than wonder why inequality is holding women back, I spend my time doing things to expand my abilities,'' she said. That includes reading a bookevery day from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. after putting her kids to bed. ``To keep me being a real person,'' she said.

Comment

way to go!!!

Comment

Makes us all proud.

Comment

Wait Wait guyz!!!

India is a big consumer market!!!!

------------------
          Nadeem

Comment

WHO CARES ABOUT INDIA.........
            THIS IS PAKISTAN NOT INDIA
            If You wanna tell about your Women then go to indian forum, WE do not care of indian women or men Ok so plz do not inform us about india . if you want to inform us then inform us about the PAKISTANI woMEN

Comment

-

Comment

"WHO CARES ABOUT INDIA........."

Hmmmm...I got the wrong impression since a whole of posts in the World section were devoted to India's economy, "eventual" disintegration etc...

Comment

if your doin so well, i don't see why you have to post it on a Pakistani website.

A BIT OF OBSESSION COMIN OUT

Comment

Oye come on bhai’s – this attitude doesn’t suit you. Sar utha ke mubarak do, she’s a desi and we all should be proud of her, read the article again, she has her own lil pooja corner and she’s proud of her background. We can learn a lot from examples like hers.

Ps. Kindly stop this you-go-to-your-site nonsense, this attitude is not a part of our religion or culture!

Ps2. Smile ramadan hai

Ps3. Nadeen aap kya kehna chah rahe haiN?

Comment

Originally posted by sabah:
                      Oye come on bhai’s – this attitude doesn’t suit you. Sar utha ke mubarak do, she’s a desi and we all should be proud of her, read the article again, she has her own lil pooja corner and she’s proud of her background. We can learn a lot from examples like hers.

Ps. Kindly stop this you-go-to-your-site nonsense, this attitude is not a part of our religion or culture!

Ps2. Smile ramadan hai

Ps3. Nadeen aap kya kehna chah rahe haiN?

I agree! There was a time (50 or so years ago) when we were all Indians. Indian or Pakistani, we still come from the same land mass, have similar cultures, traditions and values.

I thought this was a good story and I'm glad it was here.

Comment

With a couple of idiots aside, this is a great thread. Nice to hear some desis breaking the glass ceiling...

Speaking of desis, I saw one on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" a few days back.... we were rooting for her... woo hooo.. she didn;t win the million though she did make it to the hot seat..

Comment

Guys please read the article for what it is...an inspiring story about a hard working, goal oriented south asian woman who has made it!!!! Instead of pushing it aside due to what ever political differences you may have, I urge you all to read it carefully and try to get inspired. I applaud Rani for posting an amazing article on this truly amazing woman!

Comment

it is good story for all south asian young people growing in west. pakistan indian bangaldesh young people can get encouragement
                            from this story.

Comment

Working...
                            X