who is the real punjabi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is the real punjabi?

this is to all my punjabi brothers and sisters .though iam not a punjabi by birth but i have always liked the punjabi language and the punjabi culture infact i have learned to speak punjabi recently
    i love the punjabi songs and the punjabi folk
    but one thing that always bothers me is who is the real punjabi i mean is it the muslim punjabi or the sikh and hindu combine
    as far as i know all the punjabi love stories and the legends have been muslims
    heer/ranjha sohni/mahiwal mirza, and the rest
    all the major punjabi singers leave aside the current daler mehni etc.
    but all the major singers have have been muslims bade gulam ali khan sahab , mohd rafi
    etc most of the indian punjabi osngs are copied from the paksitani folk songs
    so i wonder who is the ral punjabi?
    can someone please explain?

Well they have their own Punjab, but I believe our Punjab has more diversity, i mean the Punjabi people on our side are all different colours and ancestory.

Punjabi people are very open-heated, tough, brave, hardworking and industrious, they make good soldiers, good farmers, good workers and good friends.

Comment

i agree with PJ...

Comment

yes mate . im punjabi too..and agree 100% with what u have just said
        I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Originally posted by PJ:

Punjabi people are very open-heated, tough, brave, hardworking and industrious, they make good soldiers, good farmers, good workers and good friends.
          one would agree with this statement mostly. however, on the flip side, the opinion among non-punjabis is often that punjabis are vain, try to show off wealth (making money is not enough, u have to show it), delhi in india which has more punjabis is considered unsafe for women compared to calcutta or poona or even bombay according to indian women who have been to all these places, there is also opinion that punjabis try to get their way with physical power whenever possible. punjab has a wonderful contribution from musicians to poets to writers, but punjab does not boast a culturally sophisticated elite appreciating classical art and likes that exists in calcutta or chennai. but people admire and simultaneously hate the guts of punjabis.

Comment

yup...agree with u ullu...i dont' have anythin against punjabis, but my punjabi friends are just soooo full of themselves...."sadday yeh, sadday woh" i mean we're nawabs but i don't go around sayin it and all.....i dont' think that there is much of a punjabi culture either...i mean u can't even read or write punjabi?! its just broken up urdu. There r good ppl and bad ppl everywhere...but all the punjabis i have come across just think too much of emselves. ppl from lucknow, aligar, amroha, delhi are way more refined and city ppl whilst most of punjabis are villagers (i 'm talkin bout heritage here...not bout foreign punjabis .....but we aren't so over confident bout ourselves...not as much as punjabis...don't mean to be stepping on anyones toes here....just my opinion
            standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

Punjabis are also refined and cultured, its bs to say that we show off etc, you just can't generalise it's like saying Delhi, Lucknow lot are a bunch of effeminate weak people.

Punjabis generally make good farmers, good soldiers and good friends.

Comment

What do you mean no Punjabi culture, have you ever heard Safool-Mulooq by Mian Muhammed Baksh, the great Sufi Poets of Punjab, the great lyrical stories of Laila, Majnu etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PJ:

Punjabis are also refined and cultured, its bs to say that we show off etc, you just can't generalise it's like saying Delhi, Lucknow lot are a bunch of effeminate weak people.

Punjabis generally make good farmers, good soldiers and good friends.
                  whose sayin i'm generalizing...i'm talkin bout my friends and what i have seen...they say that there the best and all..that there lang is the best (so good infact that u can't read or write it )...that they won't defend u in front of another punjabi (even if u r right) jsut cuz ure not punjabi (hate the double standards)....

"it's like saying Delhi, Lucknow lot are a bunch of effeminate weak people."

the word is not weak...its humble.

so my friend, im not generalizing, just voicin my opinion basing it on what i have gone thru with my 'friends"....
                  i DID say that there are good ppl and bad ppl everywhere...in each culture......

[This message has been edited by khawateen (edited December 10, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by PJ:

What do you mean no Punjabi culture, have you ever heard Safool-Mulooq by Mian Muhammed Baksh, the great Sufi Poets of Punjab, the great lyrical stories of Laila, Majnu etc.
                    ok..hai culture, lekin jitna ghuroor hain (proudness), utna koi vast culture bhi nahin hai....

Comment

Originally posted by kabir:

but one thing that always bothers me is who is the real punjabi i mean is it the muslim punjabi or the sikh and hindu combine
                      as far as i know all the punjabi love stories and the legends have been muslims
                      heer/ranjha sohni/mahiwal mirza, and the rest
                      Kabir,
                      Punjabi is not a religion therefore being muslim, hindu or sikh doesnt apply here. Same as being a sindhi doesnt imply that one is a muslim or hindu or any other religion.
                      Punjabi is a person who lives in the region of punjab speaks punjabi and traditionally owns a land there.
                      Punjab was there when muslims came here abd hindus were living here. Majority of them converted to Islam and lastly 400yrs back due to religious movement called sikhism some of them converted to sikhs and some of them converted back to become muslims.
                      Punjabi is the 13th most spoken language in the world. There are more than 110 million people in the world who speak Punjabi. Largest number of people who speak this language live in Pakistan and India. There are sizable punjabi speaking communities in many countries in the world including U.K., Canada, USA.
                      Khawateen,
                      I think u met punjabis who have recently got rich and r under some complex. What make punjabis is their roots in soil. There sense of sharing. There is a marked diference in people who were in agriculture and those who do business since business people treat everything in business sense. Take even the example of India sikhs are people who did most of the agri. and hindus went for business. There is a big difference in their approach to life. Although intense industrialization have forced villiagers to goto cities and in coming yrs they may not be much difference between the two, but still if u speak of punjabis they would be most likely to treat relations in which they dont go for profit and loss.

Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

Punjabis love the land, that is why we are famous for being farmers the land is who we are, punjab is the breadbasket of Pakistan.

As for being obsessed with wealth, punjabis are some of the most generous people there are.

All ethnic groups are part of Punjab from Pathans, Gujraties, Mughals even people from UP.

Comment

yes..but the ppl i'm talkin bout aren't even rich....i think they r just screwed up

Comment

khawateen,
                            Unfortunately u might have met the wrong sample of punjabis...
                            Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

I agree with Degas there are cultured Punjabis and there are non-cultured Punjabis just as there are non-cultured and cultured people from UP. The non-cultured people from UP are usually quite poor and uneducated compared to non-cultured Punjabis of which lot of them have migrated to foreign lands, and tend to moderately educated.

There are lot of Sikhs (Punjabis) that are business class and professionals, agricultural class comprises mostly of Jats on both sides of the border.

Most of the Punjabis are generous, hard working, love life and are not calculating.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited December 10, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X