The sound of the adhan....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sound of the adhan....

Here’s a beautiful passage from one of my favourite books…Adhan Over Anatolia by Marian Kazi, Go on read it

September 2: On this first morning in Istanbul, the adhan for the Fajr prayer-the first of the daily prayers which is observed between dawn and sunrise-came to us like a wonderful chorus of voices reaching out from every side, raised to call the Muslims to the remembrance of God Most High as the first act of the new day. This is the only time when all these voices are clearly audible here, for the noise of traffic during the day and evening makes hearing them at the other four times of prayer very difficult unless one is quite close to a mosque. There is no one instant when all the adhans begin, but a period of perhaps fifteen or twenty minutes when, as the sky grows light, a single thread of distant recitation begins the call, followed by another and another, so that presently there may be five or eight different strains at once, each unique and distinct yet all resembling each other, intertwining into a pure wave of melodious sound coming from the distance like an echo. No effort is or could be made to blend these distinct threads into a harmony, but the harmony is always there, its effect wonderfully solemn, deeply impressive, moving. Will I ever forget this first morning’s adhan in Istanbul? I wonder if the Holy Prophet peace be upon him, when he instituted the call anticipated what it would become when there were many mosques scattered throughout a vast city, and how it would stir the heart. I think he must have.

Comment

Working...
    X