The Plight of Amreekan Gajaarain or Unka Halwa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Plight of Amreekan Gajaarain or Unka Halwa

O.k.. lets get one things straight from the get go: Pakistani gajaarain (carrots) just taste better!!!

I was eating these viliatti gajaraain yesterday, you know - the genetically engineered ones that are freakin 50 feet long, and I realized how awfully they lack in taste. Its like tasting freaking water, plain and dull!!!

The reason being that I wanted to make gajaar ka halwaa and I just imagined how terribly dull the halwaa will taste with these amreekan gajaraain. This is really sad. A true draw back to this great amreekan living.

*sigh*

Needless to say, I didn't make the halwa..

Comment

Bahi Mian, Thurey sugar daloo and Thura milk but cook it good, it will taste good if not put some more sugar in and UPS it to me...

Comment

True Ghalib.. Not just Gaajarain.. also lot of other fruits.. or would it be wrong if I said ALL of them have no taste as it is in Pakistan.. Pure Natural taste and flavour...

Like here ion Holland.. All the fruits and vegs are grown in green houses... And these fruits are better to look at than to eat.. I mean if you look at them then they look so nice juicy and MazzzayDaar But when you eat them they don't taste that good..

Comment

Yes you're right, Pakistani gajers are so sweet and tasty. I remember, a few years ago in Lahore, the sabziwala dude came around to the house, and my aunt was like "Taste this, you will never have such tasty gajers!" and it's true! Maybe you could make some other type of halwa?
          A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

There are no gajars in the world that are as fragrant as the ones that come from the mithee back home.

I have never had a gajar that was as sweet tasting and smelling as the ones I've had in Karachi.

Kya yaad dila diya!!!!

Comment

What a coincidence! I'm cooking gajar ka halwa today

------------------
              Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing all my life!

Comment

True.. its not just the gajaraain but other fruits and vegetables as well. I guess all the engineered foods grow out of proportion hence killing the taste. The worst part is that you're not allowed to bring your own vegetables under the law.

Comment

Not just fruit and vegetables, poultry as well. The meat and chicken in the states was pretty tasteless, luckily we Africans are still a bit 'backward' and thus retain the fresh, pure taste!
                  A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

This is a touchy subject, ghalib. You should be more considerate of people's feelings.

Comment

Oh Ghalib! Gajaroon ka Halwa

I like it soo much (Pakistani halwa).I myself tried and made gajar ka halwa but one thing
                      about Gajar as in states here in Australia they are tasteless and colourless too. Carrots are yellow/dull orange here not bright orange/red like in Pakistan.

Mangoes! they are also pheeka. not sweet and tastyt but pheeka(tasteless).

Comment

Working...
                      X