• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has heard of/ Read These books?

Shabanu- Daughter of the Wind

and Haveli (it's the sequel)

Got Gup?

I have read both these books. They are superb books about our culture. The most amazing thing for me was that an American has such a deep insight in our culture.
    Must read books
    Although both of them are excetionally interesting and articulate, but I liked the plot of "Havali" better than "Shahbanu"

Comment

Perhaps the two of you could give us a brief summary of the plots etc.....?

Comment

pls tell us t/ authors of these 2 books.

Comment

for you Barhysh ji
          Allah, i am dying to read good literature, so sick of reading chemistry/calculus/economics books, i need to reading something interesting i can relate to...jaldi bataoo kay kis nay ye kitabain likhi hain???
          Save Pakistan.

Comment

The author of these book is Suzanne Fisher Staples. Story of Shahbanu: daughter of the wind revolves around an eleven-year-old Shabanu,who is the younger daughter in a family of nomadic camel herders living in the Cholistan desert area of modern Pakistan; she is fiercely proud of her family and way of life. But she attempts to run away rather than marry a man chosen for her.
            In the sequel to Shabanu;titled Haveli , Shabanu spends most of her energy protecting herself and her four-year-old daughter, Mumtaz, from the jealous scheming of her husband's more cultured wives.

The vivid portrayal of life and death in this desert world is stunning in its honesty.

[This message has been edited by kaki#1 (edited November 07, 2000).]

Comment

thank you so much kaki ji
              Save Pakistan.

Comment

Yeah, read them three years ago...they're really good

Comment

kaki- did u write that up yourself or get that from the back cover? good summary either way.

I agree- I likes Haveli better than Shabanu...but I don't want to talk about all that goes on in the sequel and ruin it for those who haven't read it yet. I wish that Staples would have written a third book from Mumtaz' point of view.

Both books are contemporaries- I have a copy of Haveli which was copywritten in 1993. I am hoping Shabanu can get into the literature canon and I can maybe teach this to my students one day, Inshallah.

A little more about the author though-
                  Suzanne Fisher Staples was a UPI correspondent in Asia for many years. She travelled through Hong Kong, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India and later on in Washington DC (near my hood!) She used to work on the foreign news desk for the Washington Post- our area's biggest local/national newspaper. She currently lives in Florida.

Got Gup?

Comment

Originally posted by Bharysh:
                    kaki- did u write that up yourself or get that from the back cover?
                    It's not from the back cover
                    I also wish Staples writes another one.

Comment

Working...
                    X