Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?

I'm a Canadian, born and raised as are my two children. My wife was born and raised in Pakistan, however she's been in Canada for the past five years, and recently became a Canadian citizen. I was considering moving to Pakistan on a permanent basis, and become a Pakistani citizen.

Upon mentioning this in the chat room, that I wish to move to Pakistan and become a citizen, numerous users heckled me, taunted me, and made some nasty remarks such as "Stay in Canada you pig! Pakistan has no place for you."

Here's what I can't figure out. I never made any rude remarks, I gave them no reason to find fault in me, yet they hate me? And because I'm Canadian? What kind of a society is Pakistan? I know not everybody is like that in Pakistan, but for those who are like that regardless if you're in Pakistan, Canada or any other place in the world, I find it to be very pathetic that you judge somebody based on where they're from, or because they can't speak a certain language.

It's almost ironic. Growing up in Ontario, Canada I've met many immigrant Pakistani people whose accent was so strong and knew very little English. Yet, they were accepted for the content of their moral character and not their background/language. I just pray for the ignorant such as chat room user "Azad".

Until you learn not to judge people, but to embrace them...you will always be alone.

CanadianDude, I don't think your experience in the chat room is a true reflection of what people actually believe, especially since they don't know you as a person or your life history. If you do want Pakistani Citizenship, that's your own choice, I don't see why anyone would object to that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

I too don't see why anyone would object to me, a Canadian citizen, wanting to move to Pakistan on a permanent basis and become a citizen. Yet, comments such as Azad's were very discouraging. Not that it should matter, but I too am a Pakistani (In the sense that my parents are from there), and I'm also a Muslim. But that's besides the point. It shouldn't matter what I am, as opposed to who I am.

In all honesty, my mother was born and raised in Pakistan, and she has mentioned to me on several occasions that our people our unsuccessful because we don't know how to share with our brothers and sisters. Although I don't beleive in forming an opinion without experiencing something firsthand, I must say that Azad has represented Pakistan in such a poor and disgusting manner, that I would be lead to agree with my mother's remarks.

However, I know that our people are a strong bunch. I just hope that there aren't too many Azad's there.

Originally posted by cat-woman:
      CanadianDude, I don't think your experience in the chat room is a true reflection of what people actually believe, especially since they don't know you as a person or your life history. If you do want Pakistani Citizenship, that's your own choice, I don't see why anyone would object to that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Comment

Dude:

Like Cat-Women said, don't take the affairs of chat room to your heart. Chat room is a chatroom i.e. a good number of people playing/pretending to be what they don't have the guts to be in real life. You're gonna run into bigger twerps in life than this "Azad" guy/gal so don;t take it to heart.

Now, back to your original topic. If you're deciding to move back to Pakistan, all the power to you. Pakistan is a great place to live and raise your kids. You'll find people who're willing to help you assimilate into the society as well as likes of "Azad." The point is to weed out the bad and consider the brighter sides.

One advice I would like to offer you is to make sure your "financial house" is in order. For the initial phase of your transition, which can last for couple of years, sufficient funds to sustain yourself and your family is vital. Pakistan economy is not as dynamic as Canada's and high paying jobs are hard to find. Wiht your education and background, you may be able to land a high paying job but don;t count on it. Bottom line: have enough capital to sustain yourself through atleast a year.

Kinda in a time crunch right now but will post more later...

Comment

Check out this thread for further info...

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum21/HTML/000030.html

Comment

I must admit that after reading your peice which you directed me to, it was nothing short of excellence.

I love Canada. I really do. It's where I was born, and raised my whole life. It's given me a good home, financial security, a lot of services, a booming economic condition, etc. But, there's one thing I don't like about Canada. Well, about North Amercia in general. And that is the rate of degeneration. Degeneration of our moral fibres.

Last year, I became a father and will be blessed again in another 9 months (Allah Ka Shookar). I have a problem with all the drugs, the killings, the rapes, and most of all...the downward spiral of our society.

I guess what it comes down to is this ; When my kids are growing up, I would rather worry about how they do in school instead of worrying about whether they get shot to death on their way to school, because they were wearing a fancy pair of shoes which somebody tried to steal. THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED HERE.

You'd be surprised how things look so much differently once you're a parent.

Originally posted by ghalib:
            Dude:

Like Cat-Women said, don't take the affairs of chat room to your heart. Chat room is a chatroom i.e. a good number of people playing/pretending to be what they don't have the guts to be in real life. You're gonna run into bigger twerps in life than this "Azad" guy/gal so don;t take it to heart.

Now, back to your original topic. If you're deciding to move back to Pakistan, all the power to you. Pakistan is a great place to live and raise your kids. You'll find people who're willing to help you assimilate into the society as well as likes of "Azad." The point is to weed out the bad and consider the brighter sides.

One advice I would like to offer you is to make sure your "financial house" is in order. For the initial phase of your transition, which can last for couple of years, sufficient funds to sustain yourself and your family is vital. Pakistan economy is not as dynamic as Canada's and high paying jobs are hard to find. Wiht your education and background, you may be able to land a high paying job but don;t count on it. Bottom line: have enough capital to sustain yourself through atleast a year.

Kinda in a time crunch right now but will post more later...

Comment

never mind

[This message has been edited by hayaa (edited September 12, 2000).]

Comment

Dude:

If you're planning on leaving Canada because of the reasons you've mentioned above, I think you need to do a little more research about Pakistan. Most of the stuff that you mentioned also happens in Pakistan. The only difference is that all that happens in Pakistan has more to do with existing political environment and is usually politically/ethnically motivated. All the negatives of Pakistan are discussed in the thread I referred to you earlier so read up!

This, however, doesn't mean that we abandon Pakistan.. well.. err.. read what I wrote in that thread... you'll get my point..

>>You'd be surprised how things look so much differently once you're a parent

Just became one a couple of months back and I am not surprised!

Comment

Working...
                X