X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucid Chaotic
    replied
    Re: NYAhmadi's Adventures in Pakistan

re-reading this thread all over again - I still can't help but reminisce the short but wonderful time I spent in Lahore... and I miss talking about those time with NYA back in the days.

Leave a comment:

• hanie
    replied
    In all these years that I am on GS I havent read this thread.

I really loved your stories ahmadi.

Leave a comment:

• taqlee
    replied

interesting read, thanks

Leave a comment:

• zobia
    replied

wow!

Saparis are too hard. I tell him it is good for your teeth.
    lol. are u lawyer by any chance?

these are wonderful sharings. not only deep, detailed but also historical accounts, and artistic touch is

now i definitely wana visit lahore.

Leave a comment:

• Degas
    replied

yes, I remember reading those long back.. and they are masterpieces.. he should be baaaack!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ali_R
    replied

Where is NYA these days anyway? Has he been banned for life time

Leave a comment:

• Code_Red
    replied

Exceptioinally well written, very entertaining episodes

One of the gems , written exclusively for this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Xtreme
    replied
    NYA,

I know you were taking a crack at those guys, but yaar, life isn't just about negative experiences. Last time I was there, I saw a young boy of about 11-12 yrs of age getting a good thrashing by a the owner of a cycle shop. He had probably stolen something, and was getting whupped with an rubber inner-tube in front of a large crowd.

he was begging for mercy, and eventually the shop owner let him go. The kid ran a few yards away and then turned back and started hurling insults at the shop owner, most of which involved close members of shop guys family. The crowd was still there watching all of this, and by now the shop owner was stood there with his head hanging down.

Well, it wouldn't happen in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• NYAhmadiX
    replied
    I am sorry xtreme yaar that found my experiences bit too upper crust. I thought you would appreciate how “magic realism” is actually used to poke fun of that class. You have to some times be able to differentiate the class notion with the autographing mark of the central character(s). (I was in fact taking a crack at those types) You will learn it in time. And yes, don’t ask me about what story about your hooka-smoking Thai-ee you want to share with us, just do it.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Xtreme
    replied
    Ahmadi yaar, all your stories so far, although very entertaining, are about a bunch of clenched-buttocked, Angrez-wannabee's.

Your story isn't about Pakistan at all. It's about the elite, Pajero driving class, which represents a tiny minority of Pakistan. The best stories revolve around ordinairy people and so far they are in short supply in your accounts.

If you don't know any I'll help you out.

Yaar, my thai'ee smoked a hookah. She could have swore for the Olympics.

Do you want to hear her story?

Leave a comment:

• Masooma
    replied
    LAHORE!The best city in Pakistan

Oh so Nyahmadi is Lahori?????? GOSH i didn't know!

Masooma

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Ahmadi yaar, finally read it all. Man, that was amazing! I am feeling absolutely home sick all over again! Lahore Lahore ee ay!

Leave a comment:

• Girl from Quraysh
    replied
    I can't stop smiling when i'm reading these.

Thanks for sharing..like Amber says, keep 'em comin

Leave a comment:

• NYAhmadiX
    replied
    Dear Amber..Yaki gate is not too far from Bhatti gate. Hira Mandi is a neighborhood associated with dancing and prostitution trades. It no longer has that practiced, but it is still a charming place to visit.

Dear Hayaa.. If our paths cross somewhere, I will gladly show you Lahore. Until then, here is a little walkthrough of it through my eyes.

-------------------------------------------

Husky and I enjoyed our meal thoroughly, and I ask for his feedback.
    “this was totally excellent. Bit spicier than I am used to. But everything was fantastic, and I will come back for more when I am in Lahore again”, says Husky.

I was happy that my friend enjoyed a common meal eaten by most Lahoris. For the amount we paid to feed both of us would still not be enough to get a bottle of a mineral water at the Hotel he was staying. Life is so unfair. Unfair for some.

We walk and stop by a Paan shop.
    “Have you ever tried a Paan?” I ask Husky.
    “No”
    “well, you’ve got to”
    “sure’
    “Ik mitha, tay ik lachi-sapari-khusboo wala”, I ask the Paanwala.
    I demonstrate the right way of eating a Paan to him and tell him not to swallow the peeeek. He is eating like a pro and I am truly impressed. He complains that Saparis are too hard. I tell him it is good for your teeth. We walk on.

He is taking pictures of the crazy scene of donkey carts, cycles, Rikshas, small cars, Tangas, each fighting with one another to squeeze through. It is very lively. We pass through Dibbi Bazaar, out of Rang Mahal, mainly a women’s Bazaar, pretty much like Banoo Bazaar. We both pick a Gout (something to use for braiding hair, very colorful) for our wives (both our wives have very short hair, so they can’t use it, we buy it any way) for 15 rupees a Gout. We stop at a Dupata store, and I buy 4 hand embroidered Dupatas for my wife and he buys 20 (mostly as presents to his friends in England). We get good deal. Our next stop is Masjid Wazir Khan.

It is a beautiful mosque in the middle of the old city. It is a shame that it is not being looked after and some of the artwork is being deteriorated. It is a beautiful mosque. We take a few pictures, examine the artwork, and head out.

We catch a Rickshaw, negotiate price, and get in. We get out of Lohari gate, I tell him to take us to the Hotel the long way. We drive on Circular a little, through Landa Bazaar, take a little bit of Empress Road, left of McLeod, Right of Abbot, passing thought Shimla PahaRi roundabout onto Davis Road, left on Egerton and then we are on the Mall. Then the Hotel.

We say byes to one another. I pick my kids up from the swimming pool and we drive home where that evening my sisters had cooked meals for us. My two sisters who live nearby, instead of having us over, brought meals that they had prepared to my parents’ house. Older sister made my most favorite meal “KaR-hee” a yogurt and gramflour mixed based sauce with PakoRas inside. My younger sister made Kema-Bharay-Karalays. Everything was excellent. I tell them of my day in the old city and show them what I bought.

“600 rupees for a pair of shoes? You can buy the same in Ichra market for 200” says my mom. That really made me feel so mad.

“300 rupees for a Dupata? You can buy one for 80 in Anarkali, says my sister. And Now I am really pissed.

I thought I knew Lahore inside out. I guess not.

Leave a comment:

• hayaa
    replied
    Can't thank you enough for sharing with us your awesome trip!! Would you mind being my tour-guide when or if i ever go to pakistan??

loved the way you ended your machar waali story..

It’s late. Past 2am. Everyone’s asleep. I peel and mango, chop it in small pieces, and eat it with a Rooti.

you're such a writer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X