Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Age Marriages

Hi Everybody!
    I was just wondering why most pakistani parents want their daughters to get married or at least engaged at a very early age. A lot of my friends are already engaged when they are only 16-18 at the moment. My parents are pakistani, too. But they dont want me to get married that early.
    I really don't get it. Is it just a part of pakistani culture? or do the parents just want to get rid of a burden?
    well...what do you think? Is it good or bad?
    hope to hear your responses
    Asfia

In a way, it does make sense. As a girl (I'm talking about a Pakistani girl) gets older and older, it also gets difficult for her to get married.
    On the other hand, if she gets engaged in early age, her approval of the engagement is not considered.
    The ORIGINAL Falcon -
    Tu Tundi-e-Baad-e-Mukhaalif say na ghabra ay Uqaab
    Yeh tau chaltee hai tujhay OoNcha urRaanay kay liye

Comment

I think this is so cuz every1 looks beautifull at this stage and hence it is easier to find grooms for them. Ppl also prefer young girls cuz at this age they dont have much experience so they accept their husbands' influence easily, whereas professional women are usually thought to be dominant since they are independent.

Comment

Salam to everybody.

Comment

Walaikum us salaam Lazer.

well, Asfia, it's so true, almost all of my Pakistani lady friends have been engaged between the ages of 16-18.
          Know what though? Girls usually get very....hyped about guys beginning at this age phase -- like totally boy crazy. I think, it's wise of the parents to keep their daughters of out trouble by having them to be committed to someone in particular for the future.

Ofcourse, I'm all for that if the guys also get engaged/nikkah done by the age of 19-21. (I think?) guys are just as into girls by those ages.

I think it's just unfair how vital it's thought by us & our culture to get the girl engaged/married early & it's not as vital than for the young lad to be just as well.

god knows.

[This message has been edited by kohal (edited July 17, 2000).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asfia:
            [B]Hi Everybody!
            I was just wondering why most pakistani parents want their daughters to get married or at least engaged at a very early age. A lot of my friends are already engaged when they are only 16-18 at the moment. My parents are pakistani, too. But they dont want me to get married that early.

The younger the better !!!! Guess why !
            (I am a Diablo.)

Comment

I really am not satisfied with this like Asfia, I think this is WRONG, because the boy is much older than the girl, and therefore much wiser than teh girl. And the girl can take pressure from her future husband, whereas a girl of the same age and a woman who is working will want more freedom. So as our society is male-dominated, this rivaaj is a normal thing in Pakistan. I really don't think its right.

Comment

Working...
              X