Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Sci Fi

Anyone know good sci fi books?
    I am not looking for the generic robotech or star trek stuff but books more along the lines of asimov, arthur C clark and douglas adams etc.

There is too much garbage sci fi out there. I want to read good stuff.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Mr. Fraudia ji

I LOVE SF! Here are some books you just HAVE to read:

1.Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune (3 books)--by Frank Herbert (greatest Sci-Fi Trilogy ever. Especially Dune is generally voted as the best single sci-fi novel of all times).

2. Neverness --by David Zindell; absolutely amazing SF book. AS good as Dune in my opinion. Astonishing concepts!

3. 2001/2010/2061/3001 -- classics of SF by Arthur C Clarke. His finest!

4. The Hammer of God -- A C Clarke. Cool...

5. Moondust --brilliantly exciting novel from the 60s...

6. The Songs of Distant Earth --A C Clarke! Too good!

7. Eon --Greg Bear

8. Nemesis --Asimov at his best!

9. Mars/Return to Mars --Ben Bova. Superbly realistic tale of the near-future manned mission to Mars....and the sequel...

10. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? --by P K Dick . Super novel (the film Blade Runner was based on this)

...and if all that ain't enuff ..try the Foundation Series by Asimov...
    Happy Reading!!!!

Comment

The only Sci Fic i know is Star Wars....coz i had to buy those books for my nephew....

Wesay pad my ignorance guys....yea sci fic hota kiya hei??? any thing like Star Trek???or that movie Star Wars???

Comment

Just finished reading Ursula Le Guin's "Four ways to forgiveness" - a collection of four short sci-fi novels. Really enjoyed it. I'm gonna look for more stuff by her.

Comment

Frauds,

i'd recommend the the Douglas Adams series of four - 'the hitchikers guide to the galaxy', 'the restaurant at the end of the universe', 'so long and thanks for all the fish', and one more book that i forget. You could also try 'Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency', though it aint got much of SF. Douglas Adams is real light reading, all fun, so some people dont like his style much.

The foundation series of Asimov is a must. He's also written an interesting book trying to correlate events in the bible with scientific evidence, dont remember the name.

'2001 - A space odessey' from A.C.Clarke is another bible of SF. 'Rendezvous with Rama' is really class.

Ursula Le Guin is nice, really imaginative, but sometimes too much of a feminist.

My favourites still are the old classics by H.G.Wells and Jules Verne - Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde, Journey to the centre of the earth, 20000 leagues under the sea, and one by H.G.Wells about martians invading the earth.
          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

queer I believe that fourth one is 'Life, Universe, and Everything'. Fraudia, if you are thinking to get them then I would suggest buying an unabridged version of all the four in the form of one book. It's better in price and also got a pretty black hard cover with golden words.

queer, I think you are talking about War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. I somehow didn't like H.G. Wells much. I once read his In the Days of the Commet and kinda couldn't get used to his language.

Comment

read all thehitchhikers series way back, fav book i think. same with foundation, rama, 2001, mars and sequel by ben bova.

Thanks though.

I had a chance to read other books by adams as well. they are not sci fi, but funny as anything. The long dark teatime of the soul being one of them.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

try
                1. time pressure by Spider Robinson.(of callaghan's chronicles fame)
                2. Richter 10 by Clarke.. one his best
                3. use of weapons - ian m banks (you will love this book)..(also related books by same author - inversions,the player of games, excession, state of the art.)
                4. battle mech.. (pick any of them) but the clan wars series is the best.
                5. have heard disc world series by terry pratchet is very good.
                6. Robot City - asimov, kube-MacDowell (just released last year)

Have fun.

[This message has been edited by blackzero (edited April 02, 2000).]

Comment

Koi sa bhi indian newspaper parrh lo, sci fi to naheen bas sirf fiction zaroor hai.

Comment

Working...
                  X